Why become a member? ×

Where does a Steinberger/Hohner headless truss rod start/end?

6feet7

I'm looking at converting a 5 string Steinberger/Hohner headless bass into a travel bass - where I can take the neck off so it all fits into hand luggage. I need to know where the truss rod ends at the body otherwise I can't do it. Does anyone have an idea where it starts/ends?

Ah, I presumed you already had the bass. Maybe post a thread in the basses section asking for someone helpful with one of those basses and a magnet to check for you. It may be more productive there, as I doubt anyone over this section will know for sure. I've had a few through the shop but can't say I ever checked the length of the truss rod!

How are you planning on detaching and reattaching the neck? Are you intending on doing the work yourself?

I was looking for a travel bass too and wanted a Hohner (I would have kept it in one piece though, it’s to keep in the camper van).

I ended up getting a Hondo Alien bass, it’s dead ugly, but similar footprint, and it is a bolt on. An additional bonus for me is that is has an aluminium neck, which I think is great for a travel bass (albeit heavier). Maybe an option for you instead of hacking a nice bass?

11 minutes ago, floFC said:

I was looking for a travel bass too and wanted a Hohner (I would have kept it in one piece though, it’s to keep in the camper van).

I ended up getting a Hondo Alien bass, it’s dead ugly, but similar footprint, and it is a bolt on. An additional bonus for me is that is has an aluminium neck, which I think is great for a travel bass (albeit heavier). Maybe an option for you instead of hacking a nice bass?

The Hondo Alien is essentially a Kramer Duke with less good hardware. If you go this route I'd get a Kramer, as the "aluminium" used in the Hondo neck didn't seem particularly robust - the threads for the string clamp at the "nut" end of the neck had worn out on mine and the clamp had to be superglued back into place every time I changed the strings. I wouldn't want risk the same happening to those attaching the neck to the body

8 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I would imagine the choice is narrowed by it being a 5string.  Otherwise I'd suggest a B2b, which has a bolt- on neck (and p/j pups too)

Yes, if there is a bolt on Hohner, then I would think that should be the OP’s starting point!

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The Hondo Alien is essentially a Kramer Duke with less good hardware. If you go this route I'd get a Kramer, as the "aluminium" used in the Hondo neck didn't seem particularly robust - the threads for the string clamp at the "nut" end of the neck had worn out on mine and the clamp had to be superglued back into place every time I changed the strings. I wouldn't want risk the same happening to those attaching the neck to the body

😳😵 Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be careful with mine (essentially never change the strings again 😂)

1 hour ago, floFC said:

Yes, if there is a bolt on Hohner, then I would think that should be the OP’s starting point!

Exactly.

Actually I could get one of these and have a new neck made/adapted and fit a new bridge and pickups (it wouldnt be perfect but then it's a travel bass, so it doesn't need to be custom shop spec :)