Why become a member? ×

"New" Gibsons...

Cosmo Valdemar

48 minutes ago, Ade on Bass said:

It’s seemingly one of the most hated bridges in bassland, but I love the look and find it easy enough to use once figured out.

I never got on with the three-pointer at all and I went through a lot of Thunderbirds, a couple of which underwent bridge changes within a few minutes of them getting home.

Bridges aside, I'm hoping that next year will finally see a short run reissue of the 20/20 bass and a proper Les Paul Junior DC guitar.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Really interested in these, but just one question, has anyone found a hard case for them at all? 

I bought an old hard case at a boot sale that fits 'ok'.  It is a better fit for a Mustang bass.  I am guessing it is a guitar case. 

Epiphone make an SG bass hard case but, call me a snob, I just can't allow myself to subject a Gibson to the indignity of it :)  

I've recently ordered one of these from Gear4Music which, if the measurements work out OK, will be a nice snug fit.

Gator GW-LPS Guitar Case Main Image

21 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I never got on with the three-pointer at all and I went through a lot of Thunderbirds, a couple of which underwent bridge changes within a few minutes of them getting home.

Bridges aside, I'm hoping that next year will finally see a short run reissue of the 20/20 bass and a proper Les Paul Junior DC guitar.

I do get where you and other are coming from with the bridge, Nancy. They are an aquired taste!

The Babicz replacement is amazing (great design concept and beautiful quality), was just wondering, did you use these or the Hipshot one (which I’ve never seen up close)?

Funniest avatar I’ve seen in ages, by the way! 😊

1 hour ago, Ade on Bass said:

I do get where you and other are coming from with the bridge, Nancy. They are an aquired taste!

The Babicz replacement is amazing (great design concept and beautiful quality), was just wondering, did you use these or the Hipshot one (which I’ve never seen up close)?

Funniest avatar I’ve seen in ages, by the way! 😊

Hi Ade.  Aah, the John Lydon avatar. :)

Concerning the Thunderbirds, it was a case of when the mortgage got cleared the floodgates opened; I think I was in double figures at one point and (somewhat disturbingly) there were one or two instances when I couldn't actually remember what I had.

On the subject of bridges, I did have Hipshots fitted to all of the them until the Babicz ones came out (afterwhich I swapped out all the Hipshots for Babiczs).  As I tend to play close to the bridge, the Babicz ones just felt more comfortable when palm muting and aesthetically they looked more in keeping with the old three pointers...the Hipshot was just a big old lump of metal, it didn't need to be as big as it was, but adjustment-wise there wasn't really anything in it to be honest, they both worked very well. 

• Like 1

Hi again Nancy,

Thanks for the feedback. Babicz bridges really are great aren’t they? I think you proved my point!

Dosi Y’Anarchy is now killing me with his chrome cover! And he does vocals....!!! Flash git!  Well to be fair, he seems a cool dude judging by the rather fetching action shot! 

Must work on my cool credentials. Vocals are strictly off the table!

Have fun both of you!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Hi Ade.  Aah, the John Lydon avatar. :)

Concerning the Thunderbirds, it was a case of when the mortgage got cleared the floodgates opened; I think I was in double figures at one point and (somewhat disturbingly) there were one or two instances when I couldn't actually remember what I had.

On the subject of bridges, I did have Hipshots fitted to all of the them until the Babicz ones came out (afterwhich I swapped out all the Hipshots for Babiczs).  As I tend to play close to the bridge, the Babicz ones just felt more comfortable when palm muting and aesthetically they looked more in keeping with the old three pointers...the Hipshot was just a big old lump of metal, it didn't need to be as big as it was, but adjustment-wise there wasn't really anything in it to be honest, they both worked very well. 

I just want to echo your comments re: the Babicz bridge. It utterly transformed my old 1974 EB3. I couldn't intonate it properly or set the action properly for 15 years until I tried the Babicz replacement this year. The old Gibson 3 point is now in a box just in case I need to sell the bass and some guy wants the bass to be 'original'.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this, the lack of cutaway on the bit where i would rest my arm is starting too P*ss me off, i remember feeling the same about a Tele I used to play. It rubs on my bare arm and irritates it but i've been spoiled with Jazz and Precision basses. 

So, I've actually ordered a cheap acoustic guitar arm rest like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282940457663

to see if i can basically create new, less steep, angle for my arm to rest on as i was thinking about sanding the bass down. Obviously i think if this works (probably with some modification) then i can have a solution that wont permanently affect the bass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2019 at 11:43, Lozz196 said:

Really interested in these, but just one question, has anyone found a hard case for them at all? 

After carefully measuring and checking the given measurements I ordered a Gator CW-LPS Deluxe guitar case from Gear4music.  It was out of stock but arrived today.  It is a *perfect* fit for the Junior DC bass.

IMG_20190814_184852_resized_20190814_065248441.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They remind me of the old Dan Armstrong London Sliding pickup basses or the Ampeg plexiglass basses in shape. I really like the look. As a long term Gibson Grabber owner I think Gibson basses are great when they get it right and this model looks right to me! 

I’m very tempted at the price they have them at Reidy’s . I could buy one contour the upper bout where the forearm would rest and replace the pickup with my spare Grabber pickup.

Edited by ash

Played the new double cut today, great playability and tone but a bit small for me. A good bass, perfect for those of a smaller stature, moving over from guitar, etc. Impressive stuff from the big G. I put it through a Sadowsky pre amp pedal and it was extremely toneful.