Why become a member? ×

"New" Gibsons...

Cosmo Valdemar

On 06/05/2019 at 20:07, Paul S said:

Cancel that, I'll weigh mine when it arrives on Weds 😂

3.4kgs.  And what a little beauty it is, too!  Got some flats coming, will be amazing.  :) 

• Like 1

What difference would you say that has made?  The 3 point as fitted seems to work well enough but there is a little bit that I catch my hand on, makes it a bit sharp to rest there. 

42 minutes ago, Paul S said:

What difference would you say that has made?  The 3 point as fitted seems to work well enough but there is a little bit that I catch my hand on, makes it a bit sharp to rest there. 

To be honest, probably bugger all. I had no problem with the 3-point bridge but I just feel more comfortable with the extra adjustment options and the fact that I haven't got a whacking great gap between the strings and the body.

I suppose the added mass can't hurt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again.  I may look at the Hipshot Supertone as a replacement if I find I can't gt used to this.  I put one on an Epiphone EB-0 when I had one a few years back and thought it was worthwhile.

Have to say I am enjoying this a lot.  Rehearsing on Sunday so it will be great to see how it sits in the mix.

On 03/05/2019 at 13:24, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Well the grabber is just a bit too big for me and I get the sound I want out of the DC with a similar vibe. I love the Mustang but it's definitely surplus and I've just never got a tone I've loved it of it. 

I did a video: go easy on me!

Is that really a standard Gibson Thunderbird pickup? It sounds great!

1 minute ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Well apparently it's a Lp Bass bucker but looks to be in a tbird cover. My next task is to see if I can get a chrome cover for it

That figures. I thought it sounded a bit too bright and growly for a Tbird pickup! I was thinking of getting one and popping in a Thunderbucker but going by your video I don't think I'd need to. Although the chrome would look better!

On 02/05/2019 at 10:39, Shaggy said:

Good score - looks fab, and very like the original EB-0 (below)

Cant see you getting much work done today then......;)

image.jpeg

I wish they still made their basses and guitars with this softer body radius,  it makes a more  comfortable wear. It really makes a ton of difference. I  tried an early Jr dc guitar in Denmark St years ago from about 61 but the price was stratospheric even then . Absolutely divine though. 

10 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I wish they still made their basses and guitars with this softer body radius,  it makes a more  comfortable wear. It really makes a ton of difference. I  tried an early Jr dc guitar in Denmark St years ago from about 61 but the price was stratospheric even then . Absolutely divine though. 

They do now!  These new ones are like this.  6 string and 4 string.

So, first band practice with the DC bass. 

The setup is two guitars and a drummer and we downtune Dropped D half a step (so drop c#?). Also I was standing across the room from the amp facing towards it but not directly. All these things (amongst others will influence my experience).

Despite all my banging on about the coil tap, I found that the standard setting worked like a charm for me, it has this incredible growl that I just couldn't get enough of, with the coil tap shifting the influence from the mids to the treble and blending me into the mix a little more (I like to cut through though). The low end was great on all settings, thick and powerful. 

I will say that my forearm is a bit sore from resting on the body.

Of course, a short scale bass would not normally be my first choice for a downtuned dense mix, but I think I'll be getting a second DC with thicker strings setup for this band and keep this one for other projects.

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy
  • Like 1

On 11/05/2019 at 11:28, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

So, first band practice with the DC bass. 

The setup is two guitars and a drummer and we downtune Dropped D half a step (so drop c#?). Also I was standing across the room from the amp facing towards it but not directly. All these things (amongst others will influence my experience).

Despite all my banging on about the coil tap, I found that the standard setting worked like a charm for me, it has this incredible growl that I just couldn't get enough of, with the coil tap shifting the influence from the mids to the treble and blending me into the mix a little more (I like to cut through though). The low end was great on all settings, thick and powerful. 

I will say that my forearm is a bit sore from resting on the body.

Of course, a short scale bass would not normally be my first choice for a downtuned dense mix, but I think I'll be getting a second DC with thicker strings setup for this band and keep this one for other projects.

I had my first outing with mine - a full bodied rehearsal with the 3 piece blues/rock band.  The bass sat in its own space in the mix just perfectly - amp set so that it was just breaking up.  Absolutely fabulous.  A very different vibe to my P bass adjusted in the same way.  And a joy to wear - 7.5lbs, perfectly balanced on the strap and short scale makes Life so very simple.

Will need to change the bridge for a Hipshot Supertone, though - I rest my hand where the corners are when using a pick.  Anyone got one they don't use? :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2019 at 14:52, EliasMooseblaster said:

That is a shame - didn't they make a few fretless Grabbers and Rippers back in the day? (Or did those tend to be aftermarket customisations by their owners?) ...

I had a black lined fretless Ripper in 1983 (or thereabouts). I always assumed it to be aftermarket and if you Google fretless ripper images there are plenty, but unlined not lined.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So here’s mine (on my ironing board workbench)! Just done a setup: filed the nut and simple action adjustments. Beautiful feeling bass!

I’m a P bass with flats type of person and was shopping for an interesting  platform for roundwound strings. I had a very nice Mexican Jazz for this purpose, but was never very inspired by it as I’ve become more hooked on the P bass experience. Always liked the Gibson aesthetic though, so I became curious........😊

I did an A to B comparison with an SG bass in the shop. Some observations:

The SG was much lighter weight. The Les Paul is comfortably light by the way, but that particular SG was ridiculously light!

The SG was better set up, but the neck shape is the same. The satin finish on the LP neck is much nicer (less grabby than the glossy neck). Setup of the LP is now nicer than the SG was, with very limited work. Fret finishing is properly done on both basses.....very nice!

Hipshot tuners on the LP are just exquisite. Best I’ve ever come across to be honest. The old school ones on the SG seemed plenty up to scratch however. 

Played standing up, the strap button placement is much better on the LP. The SG tips forward, and neck dives if released,  but is quite manageable. Much easier than my old Jack Casady bass, for example, (which was like riding a camel!). The SG is much easier on the forearm with its softer shape. 

The SG has a broader tone pallet as you’d expect, but for me I preferred the way the LP gets you to a good place without futzing about with controls. Much like a P bass!

It has a punchy quality to the sound (much like a P again), but a different and decidedly Gibson tone. Big win.

I’ve got some work to do getting familiar, and will be doing some acoustic duo and full band work this week. Will let you know how things go.

For now though I’m blown away by how this bass feels like a crafted instrument rather than a cookie cutter factory product. Incredible resonance, perfectly in tune across the neck, sweet and nimble to play. Great job Gibson!

BDAFCA99-5969-4C6C-BD68-28B190DEC2CD.jpeg

A746EB34-2849-4282-8437-12B1D84B6941.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Just love mine - beyond the honeymoon period I am still head over heels.  I've even got used to the bridge.  :) 

It’s seemingly one of the most hated bridges in bassland, but I love the look and find it easy enough to use once figured out.

Once set up it stays firmly in place, and above all (when set) it functions incredibly well. All those qualities associated with high mass bridges, through body string setup and so on, are abundantly delivered.

The resonance on mine is honestly amazing: definitely in the luthier grade category. As I said in my first post, this bass really has the feel of a crafted instrument. That’s hard to find below 1k these days, despite the massive improvement in cheaper gear over the years.

Glad you’re loving yours too!