Why become a member? ×

"New" Gibsons...

Cosmo Valdemar

Look what just showed up at work!

Obviously I can't plug it in yet but it feels comfortable, no neck dive when balanced on my knee. No fret buzz or dead spots. Great fit and finish as far as I'm concerned and the size and weight feel very natural for a short guy like me. Came with an excellent Gibson soft case that is heavily padded. I'm impressed, but for what it costs, I'd expect to be.

I have a practice amp at my parents and I'll try to do a quick phone recording on my lunch and do a better quality run through tomorrow when I'm back at mine.

IMG_20190502_102051.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Obviously I can't plug it in yet but it feels comfortable, no neck dive when balanced on my knee. No fret buzz or dead spots. Great fit and finish as far as I'm concerned and the size and weight feel very natural for a short guy like me. Came with an excellent Gibson soft case that is heavily padded. I'm impressed, but for what it costs, I'd expect to be.

I have a practice amp at my parents and I'll try to do a quick phone recording on my lunch and do a better quality run through tomorrow when I'm back at mine.

IMG_20190502_102051.jpg

Yes!

5 minutes ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

IMG_20190502_102051.jpg

Good score - looks fab, and very like the original EB-0 (below)

Cant see you getting much work done today then......;)

image.jpeg

Looks really good @Dosi Y'Anarchy - over many years I have been really dismissive of Gibsons' various attempts at basses (having owned and fought with an EB3 for a while years ago) - but this one looks very promising to me.
I do like the simplicity of one pup and 2 pots. I suspect I'd have both on 10 almost all the time, eq at the amp.

Importantly, I think moving the pup back from the neck is a very significant move - those big hummers up at the neck were way too far from the bridge to be remotely versatile IMHO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soledad said:

Looks really good @Dosi Y'Anarchy - over many years I have been really dismissive of Gibsons' various attempts at basses (having owned and fought with an EB3 for a while years ago) - but this one looks very promising to me.
I do like the simplicity of one pup and 2 pots. I suspect I'd have both on 10 almost all the time, eq at the amp.

Importantly, I think moving the pup back from the neck is a very significant move - those big hummers up at the neck were way too far from the bridge to be remotely versatile IMHO. 

The coil tap is where it's at for me, it's literally a game changer for me. It turns a classic woody, round mid-heavy Gibson tone to something bright and modern

You can really hear the zing of the coil tap in the second part of this run through:

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy

On 01/05/2019 at 09:52, EliasMooseblaster said:

That is a shame - didn't they make a few fretless Grabbers and Rippers back in the day? (Or did those tend to be aftermarket customisations by their owners?) You'd think it would be a market worth exploring - and they'd save on the cost of some fretwire...

You are absolutely right sir. I remember seeing one (Grabber I think) with an unlined fretless neck and a gorgeous green and black burst finish. It was way out of my price league back then, but wold have been a worthwhile investment now!

@Dosi Y'Anarchy - sounds handy👍 - did it come with rounds? And is the coil tap on a pull-pot?
I like the pre-tap sound a lot too. Miles on from the short scale Gibsons of old. I really think they are onto something with the LPJ. It looks really good to me, I particularly like the head and tuners, body shape is a Gibson classic. I bet this bass is going to get some excellent reviews soon.

How do you mark it on build & finish? And balance on strap?

Edited by Soledad

3 minutes ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

I'm gonna sell my Grabber and Mustang and get another one

Why 2? Move the grabber but keep the Mustang. Or maybe yes, get a second one then let me know when you get bored with 2 and I'll save £200 (Cherry please) :)

11 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Well the grabber is just a bit too big for me and I get the sound I want out of the DC with a similar vibe. I love the Mustang but it's definitely surplus and I've just never got a tone I've loved it of it. 

I did a video: go easy on me!

Excellent. I want one.

Well done @Dosi Y'Anarchy it takes a bit of guts to put yourself out there and that was informative. Does the bass not have a slice off the edge to stop it cutting into your arm? Surprisingly it does sound a lot different from my 2013 Gibson EB which has thumping great humbuckers on it. Your Tapped tone is similar to the the bridge pu. 

Edited by Grahambythesea
Error
  • Like 1

On 25/01/2019 at 21:06, hooky_lowdown said:

Have you owned/played an older Gibson, would be interested how you'd rate quality between them both?

Just noticed your posting and yes I have owned a vintage Gibson bass. A 1966 EB2D and frankly it was a dog. The pickups were totally unbalanced, the mud bucker  practically blew the speaker so you had to play it with the boost button pushed in, it actually worked the opposite way round and cut the output. It didn’t sit well on a strap , had had a neck repair like many 335/EB2s, the heads seemed very pone to snapping, but it did look totally cool - I still love that semi style.  By comparison my current Gibson is super light, despite being  5 string, sits well,  has balanced pus with pull pots to instantly change the tone, a great bridge, and seems really well finished. 

Having thought I’d never buy another Gibson, I now really rate them.

3 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Well done @Dosi Y'Anarchy it takes a bit of guts to put yourself out there and that was informative. Does the bass not have a slice off the edge to stop it cutting into your arm? Surprisingly it does sound a lot different from my 2013 Gibson EB which has thumping great humbuckers on it. Your Tapped tone is similar to the the bridge pu. 

Thanks, I usually just do effects reviews (I like to hide behind fuzz) and shy away from putting myself Infront of the camera these days.

It's a slab body, no contour whatsoever. 

That's for the vid - gives a great impression of what these are like.  I am currently returning several times a day to a for sale ad in the classifieds - a '73 EB-0 that has the pup more centrally placed.  Looks like one of these would do exactly the same job but a couple of hundred quid cheaper.  Plus I prefer the looks of the LP Junior to the sharper horns of the SG.

Also some pretty funky mid-century furniture there?  The side table and armchair.  Are they old ones?

IKEA!  Whodathunkit - looks fab.  We have a bit of a mid-century modern thing going on (=junk).  A visitor once said our place looked like a hospice shop!

Anyway, having a deep and careful think about one of these DC jobs.  TBH the biggest decision is which finish - cherry, brown or ebony?  :)