Why become a member? ×

"New" Gibsons...

Cosmo Valdemar

As I understand it, this isn't a t-bird pickup. Not specifically anyway, on the namm videos it's referred to as Les Paul Bass Bucker (I think). Which makes me think it's something new. The coil tapping apparently switches between a high-mid heavy tone and a scooped one. No clips of the bass though.

I'm not an expert on CITES but as the fretboard is Rosewood, do we think there will a UK release of the bass? If so, will they bump up the price because of this? I'm preparing to pay up to a grand (the guitar is £799 and it'd love the bass to be that cheap).

The Gibson website now has the 2019 TB and SG bases in addition to the EBs but the LPjr is missing still.

16 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

As I understand it, this isn't a t-bird pickup. Not specifically anyway, on the namm videos it's referred to as Les Paul Bass Bucker (I think). 

I'm not an expert on CITES but as the fretboard is Rosewood, do we think there will a UK release of the bass?

The Gibson website now has the 2019 TB and SG bases in addition to the EBs but the LPjr is missing still.

Yes, that's a Thunderbird pickup. Nothing new really and I think the coil tapping has been used before... Could be wrong but nothing ground shattering from Gibson for basses. Still the old 3 pin bridges too, should be left in the 70's haha. 

In regards to the use of rosewood, pretty sure it's an industry standard now that they're posted with a CITES certificate OR they're using a different strand of the rosewood like Pau ferro or laurel (?). 

As for the Gibson site, I too can only see those models available but I'm sure it will soon be updated as I don't think the Epiphone site has been updated with models either. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cherry LPJ fretless... La Bella white nylons on and away we go 👍 No fretless eh? Missing a trick on a mid-scale which looks like it would have a really good midrange voice.

What's the score re rosewood boards - can't sell from US to EU with rosewood. I'm surprised they can use it at all on current production - didn't they get into serious bother over rosewood of 'unknown' origin a while back?

And on the Tbird I notice the EU store only has ebony finish, and it appears to be quite hefty (and oddly small):

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 15.10.48.png

Edited by Soledad
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

Cherry LPJ fretless... La Bella white nylons on and away we go 👍 No fretless eh? Missing a trick on a mid-scale which looks like it would have a really good midrange voice.

What's the score re rosewood boards - can't sell from US to EU with rosewood. I'm surprised they can use it at all on current production - didn't they get into serious bother over rosewood of 'unknown' origin a while back?

And on the Tbird I notice the EU store only has ebony finish, and it appears to be quite hefty (and oddly small):

24kg? I knew Gibsons were heavy...

8 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm just hoping that there'll be a Les Paul Junior DC guitar in there (and not one of those horrific tribute models).

Oh, well.  I'm certainly not paying $4K for one.  Maybe next year.  Or maybe I could buy one of the cheapo ones and fine a decent luthier to sort it out.

6 hours ago, Soledad said:

I guess that answers the questions... From the product description on the website; 

“We are unfortunately unable to ship this guitar internationally at this time due to CITES restrictions on rosewood. Please consider shopping at our EU store or find a dealer who may be able to ship to your location”

I've got a Babicz Full contact bridge on my grabber, I think I might put it on the DC and see if I can get a chrome pickup cover too.

I really like the grabber but I'm not a big guy and she feels like a battle axe in my hands.

On the other side, shortscales fit me right, feel amazing but I always struggle with them tonally (I can't really explain it). I feel with the optional coil tap, I might be on to a winner

10 hours ago, goingdownslow said:

The headstock does not look right with those wimpy looking machine heads.

They look ok to me! The standard size elephant ears always look to big on a Gibson headstock IMHO. They seem to stick out too far.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

11 hours ago, goingdownslow said:

The headstock does not look right with those wimpy looking machine heads.

Funny, I really like those - very classic and go with the Gibson head shape (top bit, it'll have a name...?) really well for me.

I've emailed Gibson re the poss of a fretless LPJ - no response but if I ever get one I will report. I think I would seriously consider a fretless version.

33 minutes ago, Soledad said:

re LPJ fretless got a response within 24 hrs: so it's a no then. Missing a trick I reckon.

That is a shame - didn't they make a few fretless Grabbers and Rippers back in the day? (Or did those tend to be aftermarket customisations by their owners?) You'd think it would be a market worth exploring - and they'd save on the cost of some fretwire...