Why become a member? ×

Forgotten gems that your band plays...

EBS_freak

Just finished up mixing and doing the video for the latest band promo video...

We took a bit of a risk on this one... because we love the song - and to be fair, everybody else seems to also... but it's a song that I've never heard any other band do live. Always a tricky one when trying to figure out what will work on the promo front. The jury is out on this one...

The whole ethos of this band was to do modern dance and pop songs but giving them that definitely live vibe.

This definitely remains one of our faves to play live and always seems to get people on to the dancefloor when we kick off a set with it.

What are your forgotten gems that your band plays, to get away from the normal GeFF (Generic Function Fodder)?

• Like 5

Not really function fodder (though we did do a couple of catered parties and a wedding), but an old punk covers band of mine had a set that was already half full of "oh yeah, I remember that one" songs - stuff that was in the charts back in the late '70's and old punks would recognise and enjoy but were unlikely to be recognised by everybody (which was fine, we didn't tend to get a lot on non-punks at our gigs)

However, the one song that always went down an absolute storm and quickly became the final encore of the night was Fight For Your Right To Party by the Beastie Boys

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

However, the one song that always went down an absolute storm and quickly became the final encore of the night was Fight For Your Right To Party by the Beastie Boys

Yeah man - bet that’s cool. Probably has the same reaction as playing Sex On Fire and I Predict A Riot (although I actually hate those two!)

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

Not really function fodder (though we did do a couple of catered parties and a wedding), but an old punk covers band of mine had a set that was already half full of "oh yeah, I remember that one" songs - stuff that was in the charts back in the late '70's and old punks would recognise and enjoy but were unlikely to be recognised by everybody (which was fine, we didn't tend to get a lot on non-punks at our gigs)

We also used to do that in our old punk covers band and similarly it always went down well. We were called The Daves so obviously changed one line to incorporate The Davey Boys. 

20 hours ago, bassfan said:

We slip some No Scrubs into the set... seems to go down well 😃

We do No Scrubs also - it's another banger that seems to get people excited. The bridge is wonderfully sublime too.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

@EBS_freak  that is a tune, and that is also what I call I superb function band.

we used to do some artful dodger - moving too fast, ultra nate- free, Estelle - American boy, sub sub - ain’t no love, strike - you sure do. There were a few other 90s dance ones that went down stupidly well but I have forgotten them now, we used to do a 15min medley of dance stuff that was incredible and I don’t like 90s dance music. 😂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NJE said:

@EBS_freak  that is a tune, and that is also what I call I superb function band.

we used to do some artful dodger - moving too fast, ultra nate- free, Estelle - American boy, sub sub - ain’t no love, strike - you sure do. There were a few other 90s dance ones that went down stupidly well but I have forgotten them now, we used to do a 15min medley of dance stuff that was incredible and I don’t like 90s dance music. 😂

Aww thanks very much!  The 90s dance stuff is very powerful. Funnily you should mention American Boy, that is defo up there in my faves to play - and I was only talking about it Friday. Not that I stay faithful to the original bass line by any means, here’s the same band with a dep singer at a festival we did (dump off the desk recording) -

As you can probably tell, I err, have a bit of fun with it! (I think we all do) - Maybe I’m one of those people that doesn’t learn songs properly 😮

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

Nearest I got to dance was this old chestnut;

you can kinda hear it at this outdoor gig we did at a VW festival someone else’s badg edited montage video.  Bass was a Fender Jazz Modern Player V with an east preamp, Markbass F500 head DI to PA and SWR golight 112 cabs onstage;

44 minutes ago, ead said:

We're just working up Eleanore (The Turtles) and a rock version of Be My Baby.  Not sure if Id'd class either as 'forgotten' though.

Ooh The Turtles - Happy Together! Probably memorable because of some advert on TV that I can’t remember what for. It’s like the Bellamy Brothers... Let your love flow -  a sudden revival that everybody knows because of the TV.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Just finished up mixing and doing the video for the latest band promo video...

We took a bit of a risk on this one... because we love the song - and to be fair, everybody else seems to also... but it's a song that I've never heard any other band do live. Always a tricky one when trying to figure out what will work on the promo front. The jury is out on this one...

The whole ethos of this band was to do modern dance and pop songs but giving them that definitely live vibe.

This definitely remains one of our faves to play live and always seems to get people on to the dancefloor when we kick off a set with it.

What are your forgotten gems that your band plays, to get away from the normal GeFF (Generic Function Fodder)?

That is fantastic Russ! Great song and great playing! 

13 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Jilted John always goes down a storm especially the ' Gordon is a Moron bit'

Ha! I don't think that would land well at most of the function gigs that we do... especially the non PC line that springs to mind. I think I've only played that song once... in a pub in Sutton Coldfield. I'd never heard the song before getting the setlist through beforehand. Drew up some cribnotes... but I remember the crowd reacting to the Gordon is a Moron bit - probably in a fashion not to dissimilar to what you seem to suggest!