Why become a member? ×

Good, quiet 9v wall warts - do they exist?

Beer of the Bass

I don't have a steady pedalboard at the moment, and since I use no more than two pedals in any current project, I don't feel I want to go that route. A simple wall wart type power supply with a small daisy chain would be more convenient, but I keep running into noise issues with the ones I've had.

For double bass gigs, I'm running a Schalltechnik Vong HPF/LPF and a Harley Benton tuner that's pretty much a TU-2 copy.  For electric bass gigs, it's a fuzz (either a Superfuzz or Big Muff clone, I haven't settled on which yet) and the HPF/LPF.

Both a Dunlop/MXR 9v and a generic 9v plug top supply from eBay have high frequency noise in various situations, and it doesn't appear to be a daisy chaining issue since it still happens with only one pedal powered. Both are SMPS types.  I have a Harley Benton Powerplant Junior (linear supply with isolated outputs) which is quiet in all situations, but the form factor is less handy for my purposes.  Everything is quiet running from batteries too.

As far as plug-top supplies go, is something like a 1-spot going to be more reliably quiet than the other ones I've had? And are there other specific ones known to be decent?

Edited by Beer of the Bass