Why become a member? ×

So, I answered an Ad.....

gpw5150

13 minutes ago, oZZma said:

Geez. I've seen this trillion of times. We're in the same boat, mate. I have always been very specific (I am on the math/noise side, maybe I should move to your area so se finally find someone to play with), and I always got ridiculously irrelevant, not perinent replies. I don't even try anymore.

Well, I know how you feel. I've been down this road a few times in the past but I'm giving it this year before I decide it's time to find another activity to put my efforts into. Things have wound down so much for me musically that it feels like it's time to be realistic about what I'm going to get out of it long term, and maybe my efforts would be better spent on an activity that doesn't depend so much on other musicians to enable it. Or indeed music at all.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

a drummer mate of mine just went to an audition for a new band.  he said they're kind of dance-y stoner/shoegaze, which he's never been in to, but he's confident that before too long they'll be industrial metal as that's the drums he's going to be playing

Ray Luzier plays Sinatra...!

In a break with my current covers band, I answered a 'need bassist' add on JMB, who's influences were all quite interesting.  Met the guitarist & drummer in a pub to have a chat and they seemed pretty enthusiastic and committed.  Alarm bells started to ring when although they were an originals band, they only had 2 covers that they could give me to learn to play at the rehearsal (although I liked both covers).  When I got to the rehearsal and we started playing, although they had told me that they always play these 2 songs at rehearsal, neither had a clue what they were doing with either song and the only other song was something that the guitarist had started writing (6 months ago) but only really had the verse currently.  During a break, they let it slip that they had had 3 other bass players that had not bothered coming back after the 1st rehearsal - I made it the 4th.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Patster1969 said:

In a break with my current covers band, I answered a 'need bassist' add on JMB, who's influences were all quite interesting.  Met the guitarist & drummer in a pub to have a chat and they seemed pretty enthusiastic and committed.  Alarm bells started to ring when although they were an originals band, they only had 2 covers that they could give me to learn to play at the rehearsal (although I liked both covers).  When I got to the rehearsal and we started playing, although they had told me that they always play these 2 songs at rehearsal, neither had a clue what they were doing with either song and the only other song was something that the guitarist had started writing (6 months ago) but only really had the verse currently.  During a break, they let it slip that they had had 3 other bass players that had not bothered coming back after the 1st rehearsal - I made it the 4th.

I question your usage of the word 'rehearsal'.....

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Prompted by this thread I rejoined JMB, or at least the devil in me did. 

The first nibble was a guy who wanted me because he was forming a Pink Floyd tribute band.  Right.  Turned out he had a few CDs, liked their music. I was to be the seed round which the band would form.  Pathetically grateful I was kind to him.

Take 2 was for a jive group forming locally.  "Roger" asked me to meet him where his other, jazz, band was playing last Sunday.  Thank god I didn't take my cat.  My cat has quite fixed musical tastes.  Four people playing pretty much four different numbers would not have been Didi's cup of tea. Roger turned out to be a man with finely chiselled cheek bones, a very serious demeanour, slightly mad looking dark eyes and an extraordinarily soggy handshake.  

Any road, once we'd unstuck our hands I was approved as the new bassist for Roger's jive band.  

Yesterday I got the set list of 20 songs. None of which are what I'd call jive: Old devil moon, Lady is a tramp, Come fly with me? "Depends on how you play 'em" apparently.  I have yet to see the chord sheets.

The first practice is this weekend. I'm now looking forward to meeting my new band mates. Bear in mind I live in rural Norfolk.  Just sayin'....       

Edited by lownote12
  • Haha 1