Why become a member? ×

So, I answered an Ad.....

gpw5150

On 21/01/2019 at 16:32, gpw5150 said:

I am all for it being fun, mistakes and willingness to learn and educate, but when you can hear something that is being played plain wrong when it is a key component of the song, I gotta say something as it is so blindingly obvious. 

I hear ya. Once quit a band because they wanted to play Uriah Heep's Easy Livin without the twiddley part in the chorus. Well, that and they couldn't pull off ZZ Top's Tush... 

Well as an update on my post above, I'm just back from the try-out..

...and, um....no.

The drummer was nice enough but the guitarist was...well, just a bit abrasive all the way through. I'd been sent three tunes so we played through them, without comment from him, and then he spent the rest of the time showing me some other songs that it turns out have been recorded....why didn't he just send me all the songs and have me learn them ? Seemed a bit of a waste of time to do it that way.

I left after about an hour, and politely told them I'd think about it.

Hey ho, on with the search.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The guitarist has emailed me over the weekend and asked if I'll help out with some recording they're going to do.

Scratched my head about this a bit...seems an odd thing to ask.

Mrs. Pook reckons no...she said I grumbled about him too much. :)

Any thoughts ?

Maybe I should start my own thread !

Edited by ahpook

11 hours ago, ahpook said:

The guitarist has emailed me over the weekend and asked if I'll help out with some recording they're going to do.

Scratched my head about this a bit...seems an odd thing to ask.

Mrs. Pook reckons no...she said I grumbled about him too much. :)

Any thoughts ?

Maybe I should start my own thread !

It's a trap!!!

• Haha 2

I see that the "reasons why you quit a band" thread has resurfaced, and about 90% of the replies were "because somebody in the band was a complete bellend"

Having done the audition and identified the bellend in question, I can't see why you'd want to go back for more, it's unlikely to get any better...

...though it's always nice to be wanted

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

...though it's always nice to be wanted

Yes, that part is nice.

But indeed...although I'd class him as 'annoying' at the moment, I'm sure I'd soon be regarding him as a denizen of the Royal Borough of Bellendia.

Edited by ahpook

13 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Share with BassChat! :D

"Our influences will be coming from Blues /Rock pop/ country and good old rock and Roll.
Our first songs will be BB king /tracy chapman the thrill is gone/Amy winehouse love is a loosing game and tracy chapman give me one reason. "

It's not the Indie/Noise/Psych axis I mentioned in the advert unless Tracy Chapman made some quite substantial career moves I'm unaware of !

Overall the reply has a bullish 'search function' tang to the  bouquet, a disappointing taste and a rather dry 'cut and paste' finish.

Edited by ahpook
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ahpook said:

"Our influences will be coming from Blues /Rock pop/ country and good old rock and Roll.
Our first songs will be BB king /tracy chapman the thrill is gone/Amy winehouse love is a loosing game and tracy chapman give me one reason. "

Ahh, but they say will be - maybe they mean unless we aquire a fabulously talented bassist who prefers Indie/Noise/Psych, in which case, that's what we'll do! ;)

3 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Ahh, but they say will be - maybe they mean unless we aquire a fabulously talented bassist who prefers Indie/Noise/Psych, in which case, that's what we'll do! ;)

a drummer mate of mine just went to an audition for a new band.  he said they're kind of dance-y stoner/shoegaze, which he's never been in to, but he's confident that before too long they'll be industrial metal as that's the drums he's going to be playing

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ahpook said:

Ooooh look, another reply.

Is this the inevitable metal band who've not read the advert at all ?

No.

But I don't think they've read the advert at all.

:D

3 hours ago, ahpook said:

It's not the Indie/Noise/Psych axis I mentioned in the advert unless Tracy Chapman made some quite substantial career moves I'm unaware of !

Overall the reply has a bullish 'search function' tang to the  bouquet, a disappointing taste and a rather dry 'cut and paste' finish.

Geez. I've seen this a trillion of times. We're in the same boat, mate. I have always been very specific (I am on the math/noise side, maybe I should move to your area so we finally find someone to play with), and I always got ridiculously irrelevant, not pertinent replies. I don't even try anymore.

Edited by oZZma

20 minutes ago, Teebs said:

It's a long shot...well, as far as Notting Hill, which is where they're based.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

a drummer mate of mine just went to an audition for a new band.  he said they're kind of dance-y stoner/shoegaze, which he's never been in to, but he's confident that before too long they'll be industrial metal as that's the drums he's going to be playing

Now, I can see that working !