Why become a member? ×

So, I answered an Ad.....

gpw5150

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I work with lots of "ex lawyers" doing far less glamorous and less well paid jobs. They love to tell you that they're an ex lawyer and try to butt in on anything legal and say things like "this is day 1 law school..." Before saying something obvious you've already covered. If they were a good lawyer, they'd still be a lawyer*

There is a gym instructor -  as in the bottom rung 'putting the weights back in the rack' level - at the place I go to, barely earning minimum wage, who will tell anyone that listens that he was a fully qualified solicitor.  Also he was on course to be a professional footballer until injury got in the way.  I sometimes wonder if he did both lots of training simultaneously.  

• Like 1

The worst one I can recall was a drummer who played a Town called malice 3 times and he played it different each time. He then told me I was doing it wrong so I played it by myself note perfect just to show him but to no avail.

As was said earlier, the longest 10 mins is when you are packing up your gear after having words with 4 other guys who know they are right!

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

There is a gym instructor -  as in the bottom rung 'putting the weights back in the rack' level - at the place I go to, barely earning minimum wage, who will tell anyone that listens that he was a fully qualified solicitor.  Also he was on course to be a professional footballer until injury got in the way.  I sometimes wonder if he did both lots of training simultaneously.  

And goes by the name of Tom Pepper 😀

So, i got the rejection letter.  He rejected the singer and drummer too!

apparently, he agonized over keeping me, but felt my sound and general look did not fit with his vision.  well, at least i have all my own hair....!

Must admit that it has taken the weight off me telling him where to go.

on the lighter side, great practice tonight with the usual band!

• Like 3

I’ve been really lucky with JMB, current singer was obtained through there 2 years ago - we had a decent band together but all wanted different things, he and I quit on the same day.

Knowing I was busy with family (the biggest reason for me quitting), he’s spent the last year sorting a (quite frankly astonishing) guitarist and a really great drummer - he then said, “ready when you are”.

And it’s coming together nicely.

Sometimes you have to sift through the shite to get to the good bits.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

I only do originals so I don't have that problem. Therefore being told what to play in my situation is a problem that I have no wish to entertain.

In my two originals bands we're constantly suggesting to others what they could play. Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't, and while the player has the most important input, anybody can chime in if they have an idea. Why not?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, kevvo66 said:

Your best off getting a band together with your mates , I have met some great people from jmb,but unfortunately I've met all the pink torpedo heads as well 😕

This +1. When my experience of JMB looked like continuing to be 100% knobs I decided never again. And before I became one by osmosis. What really defeats me is the purpose of Bandmix. I can't see how it works if you're a music-Ian looking for a band, and indeed have had not a call in single call in several years, not even a tentative one.  The best bet in my experience is getting stuck into a good jam scene, getting known and accepted  there and being quite good at what you do.    

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mcnach said:

In my two originals bands we're constantly suggesting to others what they could play. Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't, and while the player has the most important input, anybody can chime in if they have an idea. Why not?

This is exactly what I meant. How it works in practice is as you describe. Sugesstions are entertained with the player having final say over their own parts.

Dictatorships aren't tolerated.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

This +1. When my experience of JMB looked like continuing to be 100% knobs I decided never again. And before I became one by osmosis. What really defeats me is the purpose of Bandmix.

In general I would agree, it seems a really vague way of meeting people, they just send an email with 'people in your area' where your area is nowhere near you. I would say it was completely useless, but I did meet one person through it that contacted me. Didn't make a group but he is a friend, so thats ok.

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Some great stories on here. I've really enjoyed reading the thread, but it just goes to highlight for me how lucky I am to be in a band with mates. No egos, no delusions. We know we're shyte but enjoy it immensely. 

I'm more and more convinced this is the only way it will work. Ads will not bring any good.

Unfortunately I have no friends in this town so everything can only turn...FB_IMG_15481263155303505.thumb.jpg.a60f43c593fc418245a1b992867c5e45.jpg

10 minutes ago, oZZma said:

I'm more and more convinced this is the only way it will work. Ads will not bring any good.

Unfortunately I have no friends in this town so everything can only turn...FB_IMG_15481263155303505.thumb.jpg.a60f43c593fc418245a1b992867c5e45.jpg

Being in a band with friends is just one way. Its also far worse if things go wrong - long-term friendships damaged etc.

You never know what chance encounter will lead to the birth of a new band.

Don't write it off @oZZma

As long as you can still play & have some gear, you're still in the game.

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

While agreeing that JMB can be a bit of a nightmare, the band before last I joined after replying to a JMB advert, and when that one was crumbling after a few years, I put an advert in JMB and was contacted by 3 bands, and joined one from that that I am still in 3 years later, so I am glad that it exists.

33 minutes ago, oZZma said:

Unfortunately I have no friends in this town so everything can only turn...

I have none in this either, but it worked for me. And it is a small town.

• Like 1

There are two types of post on JoinMyBand. There's the "we're an active gigging band and our bass player has moved away from the area so we are looking to replace him" and then there's the "I'm a guitarist, I'm great, I used to be the touring guitar tech for the guitarist in [insert obscure 1970s act you've never heard of] and I am looking for a bass player, drummer, keyboard player and vocalist to start a band."

The second category are the time-wasters (or sources of hilarious anecdotes, depending upon your perspective).

S.P.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I have none in this either, but it worked for me. And it is a small town.

I found my drummer via Ads

Funny thing is, I'm happy with his drumming (he is more or less at my level, which helps, and there is a good creative understanding between us), I'm happy with his musical taste, and he is a nice guy with great humour and playing together is fun and relaxing

BUT

He has no great ambitions about this band, we only play 1 or (seldom) 2 times a week, which is TOO LITTLE to make originals at a good level (honestly I may be a crappy bassist but as for writing I have quite demanding standards, rather than releasing stuff than feels rushed or too obvious I will never publish anything), which is obviously frustrating for me

I would have liked to continue with him along with a second, more committed band, if I was able to find one, but I wasn't. People only want to play on sundays  :/

Edited by oZZma

I would have played really with anyone as long as they have tastes and goals similar to mine, I am a beginner and I don't care or ask much about technique.

But motivated people are the rarest find.

30 minutes ago, oZZma said:

I would have played really with anyone as long as they have tastes and goals similar to mine, I am a beginner and I don't care or ask much about technique.

But motivated people are the rarest find.

I've ranted about it before, but the different interpretations of "really motivated" is a massive bugbear of mine.  Half the people who claim to be really motivated when you form a band are just flat out liars.  Nothing more frustrating than finding a band member who is the right standard and fits in brilliantly, who then turns out only to be available every third Saturday because of the kids and the wife and the golf and everything else they do, and then only if Arsenal aren't at home or on the TV, and as long as they haven't had a long week and don't really fancy it.  the type that will be in the band when it suits them, but it's last on their list of priorities if they can find anything better to do.  the type that like the idea of being in band more than they actually like being in a band.

And in my experience it's quite often very talented musicians, who think that the band should be grateful for their presence.  I've put up with this type for far too long in previous bands and it only ever ends in one way, they get kicked out.  I can see that if it's a duo then that may not be the ideal option.

I note that you're saying that you're a beginner, and you made a comment about being a crappy bassist.  I don't know if this is false modestly, a joke or a brutally honest assessment, but if you're looking for other musicians, it could be a factor - the thread is all about walking into an audition thinking that it's going to be excellent musicians based on what the OP was told, and being massively disappointed by the standard of the playing.  While I can't solve your band issues, I would suggest that concentrating on improving your playing, and getting out there and making connections are a couple of areas you could look at. 

On that last point I've always found that the better bands don't need to advertise for musicians, they spend their time hanging around with musicians, and whenever a vacancy arises they can ask one of their mates, or if they don't have any bass playing mates who are available, they can ask their mates if they know any good bass players who are free.  If nobody knows you at the moment then you're never getting that call, and it's down to you to change that.  It's not necessarily an easy thing to get into, but going to jam nights, or playing in bands that aren't playing exactly the music that you want to do gets you a bit more experience, and gets you known among local musicians.  And it works both ways, you'll get to know the other local musicians and you'll have contacts that you can ask to join your band.  And if you really hate the music you're playing, you can always quit, but at least you'll have done something in the meantime.

In summary, keep your current band going if you're making music that you like, but maybe think about going and doing something else at the same time, even if it's not exactly what you want to be doing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I note that you're saying that you're a beginner, and you made a comment about being a crappy bassist.  I don't know if this is false modestly, a joke or a brutally honest assessment, but if you're looking for other musicians, it could be a factor - the thread is all about walking into an audition thinking that it's going to be excellent musicians based on what the OP was told, and being massively disappointed by the standard of the playing.  While I can't solve your band issues, I would suggest that concentrating on improving your playing, and getting out there and making connections are a couple of areas you could look at. 

On that last point I've always found that the better bands don't need to advertise for musicians, they spend their time hanging around with musicians, and whenever a vacancy arises they can ask one of their mates, or if they don't have any bass playing mates who are available, they can ask their mates if they know any good bass players who are free.  If nobody knows you at the moment then you're never getting that call, and it's down to you to change that.  It's not necessarily an easy thing to get into, but going to jam nights, or playing in bands that aren't playing exactly the music that you want to do gets you a bit more experience, and gets you known among local musicians.  And it works both ways, you'll get to know the other local musicians and you'll have contacts that you can ask to join your band.  And if you really hate the music you're playing, you can always quit, but at least you'll have done something in the meantime.

In summary, keep your current band going if you're making music that you like, but maybe think about going and doing something else at the same time, even if it's not exactly what you want to be doing.

Thanks for the advice, I will work harder to improve my technique 

As for knowing people and have contacts, that would require even harder work, I have the wrongest personality traits for that stuff :/