Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD *** Gewa Ideale ¾ Double Bass. Piezo + Stand Reduced £795
£895

Sold 

Gewa Ideale ¾ Double Bass 2014 Reduced to £795

New images added after requests to show the true colour of the bass. 

Having now tried double bass, I have decided to stick to electric, so the Gewa is just an ornament and it really needs playing.

An ideal bass for a beginner, it has good projection and sustain, with the action currently set to 7mm (E) 5mm (G) at the board end. 

I purchased this double bass from London based professional bassist Edoardo Bombace in early 2018. It had been his performance instrument for several years.

When he shipped the bass from Italy to the UK it was extensively damaged with the top being cracked and split in several places, the back join had a minor split, and the headstock has minor cosmetic damage (not repaired) 

I bought it as a project to learn new repair skills, and satisfy my curiosity for double bass. The top has been off, bassbar, cracks and splits repaired (as per Chuck Traeger's teachings) and replaced correctly with hide glue. 

The repair has been a success, and the top has had an antiqued hand refinish which is OK. Lets say the bass has some 'character' now. Work has been completely stable for the last 6 months.

Specification is as per the current Gewa Ideale (£2999 list price)

• Violin shape
  • Solid Spruce top
  • Arched, all-solid, slightly flamed Maple back
  • Inserted purfling
  • Dark brown hand varnish, slightly antique
  • Single machine head of brass
  • Fingerboard and tail-piece made of ebony

To this I have added 

• Adjustable Bridge
  • Shadow SH965NFX  twin piezo pickup system
  • Pirastro Evah Pirazzi synthetic / chrome steel strings
  • Rubber bumper for the sound post (stops it falling over with the strings off) 
  • Hercules stand.

Obviously its needs to be seen and played if purchasing. I am in Weston - Super - Mare (BS22) Delivery is possible within reason, although I do get about the country a lot. If you need more info or images please ask. 

Cheers. 

_NIK0466.jpg

_NIK0467.jpg

_NIK0468.jpg

_NIK0469.jpg

_NIK0472.jpg

IMG_1173_6mm_f2.jpg

IMG_1192_6mm_f2.jpg

IMG_1195_6mm_f2.jpg

IMG_1199_6mm_f2.jpg

IMG_1200_6mm_f2.jpg

IMG_1202_6mm_f2.jpg

Edited by Prosebass
Text and images.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oldslapper said:

I really shouldn’t be saying this as I’ve got my eye on it, but if Paul has repaired this then it’s going to be a top job & looks to be a steal. 

GLWTS (kind of 😄)

John  

Thanks John. It is a solid repair, and it plays and sounds nice. The battle scars add some character. 

Price is negotiable 😁 as always...

On 23/02/2019 at 16:18, oldslapper said:

Stop putting nice pictures up and reducing the price Paul......please. I’m 40 minutes drive away from having to explain why I’ve got a new bass but the damp course hasn’t been sorted. 😩

Sorry John, looks like you will have to get that damp course done! 

• Haha 1