Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee pedal

Bigwan

Well I suppose I could buy a couple of RPM’s, Palmer speaker sim, an AD200 and Avalon DI and recreate the sound, or use the excellent Tech21 gear to get close to what he has live but have my own twist as even with his settings dialled perfectly exactly the Same, i’ll Never sound exactly the same.

Its like dUg products, by all means I could bi-amp, but they have been engineered brilliantly into small boxes.

Studio as you know is a different kettle of fish, often not the same bass as Live etc.

But to answer your question, if he is using his signature pre-amp live and playing songs from multiple albums........

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Wondering what people are expecting from this pedal that other pedals cant do. After all , Geddy has never used one AFAIK. 

VT Bass and BDDI feature a clean blend; this has a touch of gain and EQ applied to the clean side, AKA the deep channel. Should sound fatter overall and make the two channels more cohesive.

The VT and BDDI flub out with too much low end hitting the clipping circuit at high gain. The YYZ has a switch to cut the lows entering the dirt section.

The BDDI has a mid scoop that you need to fight against with the EQ. The YYZ has a very present midrange, I'm interested in seeing how it compares to cranking up the character on the VT.

I love the DuG pedal but it's best in a supportive role, humongous chasm in the mids creates space for heavy guitars yet still cuts and punches through. I would like something with more midrange poke for when the bass is taking on more of a lead role.

Early reports from users experienced with all their previous pedals have said this is the best thing they've ever put out.

That's why I want to try one. I've no interest in trying to sound like Geddy Lee, I've not listened to much Rush - I gave it a try once and had to switch it off!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 3

I’m a big 80s Rush fan, but as much as I’m intrigued by this pedal, I won’t be looking for Geddy’s tone, as something that suits me. It’ll certainly have to offer more than my VTDI for me to change (which, on paper at least, it seems to do).

Edited by ezbass

17 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’m a big 80s Rush fan, but as much as I’m intrigued by this pedal, I won’t be looking for Geddy’s tone, as something that suits me. It’ll certainly have to offer more than my VTDI for me to change (which, on paper at least, it seems to do).

Yep, 80’s Geddy is my fav period as well. I’m definitely interested in how the new pedal does the less dirty stuff. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’m definitely interested in how the new pedal does the less dirty stuff. 

This is exactly what I’m interested in. Unfortunately, all the demos seem to be just Geddy fests, without really investigating its other potential.

On 16/01/2019 at 13:05, MoJo said:

To me Geddy's current tone is very 'Marmite'. I'm afraid I don't like it at all. I'm a big Rush/Geddy fan and have been so since the late 70's but much prefer his bass tone on the earlier albums, up to Moving Pictures, to the tone he uses these days

I prefer Geddy's Rickenbacker sound to the subsequent ones; the Wal & Steinbergers were OK for the jackets with rolled-up sleeves phase, but I'll take the Ric, thanks.

For me, you can get the Jazz to sound similar to a Ric on certain parts of the neck, but I prefer the colour the Ric paints as you move around the neck. I also don't like the look of a Jazz so much, with its blobby bottom.

Moving Pictures is their best album, IMHO, with Clockwork Angels probably second.

• Like 1

Also a big fan of Geddy. He's right up there with the very best bassists for me. 

I'm skeptical, however, that any pedal is going to deliver 'canned Geddy' though.

Bass, amp and cabs and, oh yes, that tiny point of having the technique of a legendary bass player. 

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, prowla said:

I prefer Geddy's Rickenbacker sound to the subsequent ones; the Wal & Steinbergers were OK for the jackets with rolled-up sleeves phase, but I'll take the Ric, thanks.

For me, you can get the Jazz to sound similar to a Ric on certain parts of the neck, but I prefer the colour the Ric paints as you move around the neck. I also don't like the look of a Jazz so much, with its blobby bottom.

Moving Pictures is their best album, IMHO, with Clockwork Angels probably second.

Yep, for me Moving Pictures is my fav Rush album. I saw them on the Moving Pictures tour, and was just getting in to them at that point so that album brings back very good memories when i hear it. 

Also agree about the Rick. Just something about the fullness and character of the upper  notes that no other bass can match (IMO of course). A bass ive never owned.

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yep, for me Moving Pictures is my fav Rush album. I saw them on the Moving Pictures tour, and was just getting in to them at that point so that album brings back very good memories when i hear it. 

Also agree about the Rick. Just something about the fullness and character of the upper  notes that no other bass can match (IMO of course). A bass ive never owned.

A bass you've never owned... yet! 😄 

If you're making admiring statements like that, it won't be long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, prowla said:

Ah - I was expecting a much more involved story than that! 🙂

Just not a bass ive ever felt attracted to, at least not to own. I do like their tone.

I’d happy accept one for free of course 😂

Edited by dave_bass5

On 06/05/2019 at 16:13, prowla said:

you know i have never played owned or even picked up a Ric and never even considered one, maybe i am missing something (not the cost of one tough) i love my Jazz and geddy played Jazz basses since late 70s early 80s anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks that Tech 21 stuff is so expensive in the UK but fortunately I'm on holiday in the States at the moment and my YYZ should be arriving this week!!! When I get back to Blighty, I'll do a vid and share my thoughts. The videos I've seen sound very good and very much like geddy... But that's from one guy who is specifically trying to sound like geddy. I'll see how it fares when not using jazz basses or Ric's. 

My Gibson LP DC Tribute bass is about as far away from Geddy as I can get and if I think the YYZ sounds great with that, then winner, winner, chicken dinner. 

If not, then I'm sure it will love my Ibanez.

• Like 3