Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee pedal

Bigwan

16 hours ago, krispn said:

I suppose it goes to show that it’s probably better to experiment with a pedal and have the curiosity to engage a button rather than deciding that one won’t need the function assigned to it because of X, YY or Z

:thank_you:

This is true, and especially where combinations of functions are used. 

Cant say i ever liked the Bite engaged through a rig when i had my VTBass DI, but combined with the speaker sim i liked it on for home playing through headphones. 

• Like 2

Been lurking on this thread for the last couple of days, just taking things up a bit, I picked up a DI-2112 earlier in the year.  If you know me, you'll know that @Tech21NYCkit has been a huge part of my pre-amp set up for more than ten years (I even owned a Landmark head for a while).  

I owned the GED rack pre-amp, which worked fine until it didn't (it went back to the UK distributor whose opinion was 'well, it's making some noise, so it must be working OK' but had little concept of what the correct noise should have been) and then I just bought the dUg Pinnick unit ('It's like the YYZ but in steroids!'), then pulled the trigger on the DI-2112 which, once I got the 18v PSU, has become my main shaping tool.

I know I have bemoaned elsewhere that the dry signal from any bass is more or less the same (cough, subjective), the DI-2112 just brings anything I've got to life.  I'm really looking forward to trying it with an EUB in a couple of months.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, krispn said:

I suppose it goes to show that it’s probably better to experiment with a pedal and have the curiosity to engage a button rather than deciding that one won’t need the function assigned to it because of X, YY or Z

:thank_you:

50 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is true, and especially where combinations of functions are used. 

Cant say i ever liked the Bite engaged through a rig when i had my VTBass DI, but combined with the speaker sim i liked it on for home playing through headphones. 

I totally get where you're coming from and maybe it's just the way my brain works, but I do like to also try to understand why certain things work they do - either from the manual and/or the insights and clarity provided by fellow BC'ers or, in this case, the useful additional snippets provided by Tech21 themselves. Must admit the fact that their cab sim is core to their sound and should be regarded as 'always on' was a really helpful tip and not one I would have gleaned from the manual. @dannybuoygot to the same result by trusting his ears, which is your recommended approach. But I'll be bearing that in mind when using Tech 21 pedals in future. 

And all part of the fun and pleasure that 10% to 20% that our gear brings to party. The 80% to 90%, of course, being in our fingers and time spent on the fretboard rather than the keyboard (which I have spent far too much time on these past 5 years)! Now back to the task of trawling through StarNow to see if I can find another female dep to cover for the dep who has pulled out of a well paying function gig in early Oct...ugh! Any suggestions welcome - please PM me! 

• Like 1

My approach is pretty simply - read the manual and tweak the gear. If you can do both at the same time even better then get the gear out to a rehearsal or gig and listen because it’ll

always be different at volume with other instruments etc. Twist knobs, press buttons, check inside for little dip switches (and taking note of their position if possible). I w alluded to this before but if your DAW has a decent graphic eq it’s really useful to see what’s happening with different kit. Obviously there’s more in-depth gear folks are using to chart curves etc but if you have the gear at home it’s worth doing. Consider it creative use of kit to learn more about your gear. I’ve not done it yet with my latest acquisition but I’m content that I can hear it working and don’t really need to do a deep dive with it just yet as I can hear it working and I dig it. 

I’ve always insisted that a manual, especially a well written one, is a real bonus to have with so much gear and not just pedals and amps. 

As for the buttons I just thought you’d have already experimented with those as part of the creative home use. I know you weren’t keen with the amp cab sims on the stomp etc cause you like your cab but it’s equally as worthwhile getting creative and running then via your rig as you may stumble upon some winning combination!

Either way it sounds like you’re getting more added value now you’ve done a deep dive with the pedal and it’s always good to get insight from the guys at T21HQ

• Like 3

So you got yourself a YYZ then @Al Krow? A few tips:

- Tight switch is always in for me. It cuts the lows going into the dirt section. The clean side is EQ’d to be dark and bassy, which more than makes up for this.

- EQ knobs affects the dirt side only. So don’t be afraid to back off the bass here either and bring the lows back via the blend.

- Mid control is before the dirt, bass and treble after. So boosting mids gives more distortion, and it acts a bit like the character knob on the VT but at a lower frequency.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...