Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee pedal

Bigwan

21 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

It sucks that Tech 21 stuff is so expensive in the UK but fortunately I'm on holiday in the States at the moment and my YYZ should be arriving this week!!! When I get back to Blighty, I'll do a vid and share my thoughts. The videos I've seen sound very good and very much like geddy... But that's from one guy who is specifically trying to sound like geddy. I'll see how it fares when not using jazz basses or Ric's. 

My Gibson LP DC Tribute bass is about as far away from Geddy as I can get and if I think the YYZ sounds great with that, then winner, winner, chicken dinner. 

If not, then I'm sure it will love my Ibanez.

Excellent! I can't wait to hear it with the Gibson. I expect it will be wonderful.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a chance to play this and I put a quick video together with my Gibson LP DC Tribute bass played with a pick.

It's my first time using a loop pedal so forgive the sloppiness. 

I'm really happy with it. It's pretty easy to find a sound I like, even with the most anti-geddy bass ever, but as well as it being easy to get a good sound, there's alot of tweaking you can do.

• Like 4

@Al Krow it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, that's true but I feel it has less of an inherent mid--scoop than the Darkglass X7, but then again there are also less options for the crossover and EQ.

I prefer the gain set to light Overdrive. But one thing to mention is that whilst I believe that the YYZ has some built in speaker simulation, I can't find anything that actually directly States it, rather just referencing "sansamp technology" so in this video the YYZ is also going into my VT Bass, so that will be influencing things to some extent.

Lucky you, one of the first to get one over here I expect!

No crossover in this one as far as I can gather - the clean channel has a ‘deep EQ’ applied which I expect means a bass boost and treble cut, plus you can cut the lows going into the drive side with the tight switch. So almost the same thing. The mid EQ is pre-drive, so acts a bit like the character knob in the VT too!

It is designed to be heard direct, seeing as it’s a replica of Geddy’s rack preamp that he uses direct to the PA, so it will have the usual Sansamp speaker emulation.

I don’t think this one is particularly scooped or fizzy from what I’ve heard. Lots of midrange presence, and a speaker sim to tame the fizz. Looking forward to getting one myself!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

@Al Krow it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, that's true but I feel it has less of an inherent mid--scoop than the Darkglass X7, but then again there are also less options for the crossover and EQ.

I prefer the gain set to light Overdrive. But one thing to mention is that whilst I believe that the YYZ has some built in speaker simulation, I can't find anything that actually directly States it, rather just referencing "sansamp technology" so in this video the YYZ is also going into my VT Bass, so that will be influencing things to some extent.

Cheers Dosi. Agreed the DG pedals are more inherently mid-scooped and fizzy and this pedal doesn't have that baked in in the same way.

The fizz I'm referring to, is there where the drive is fully engaged and the high pushed above 2pm e.g. can be heard between 3.20 to 3.35 on your review (and elsewhere). That's the particular tone I'm not a fan of, for my style of playing, but others may be. This pedal can obviously do a fair bit otherwise, but the 'core drive tone' is essentially a fizzy one, would you agree? I can therefore understand your preference for setting this to light overdrive.

Btw - I thought your by-passed tone was really good :) 

• Like 1

Don't forget that was recorded run into the VT Bass which will be affecting things somewhat. Fizz to me is content above 5kHz, which the Sansamp products in general all filter out. It does have plenty of 'clank' though, which is more 1.5kHz!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

Don't forget that was recorded run into the VT Bass which will be affecting things somewhat. Fizz to me is content above 5kHz, which the Sansamp products in general all filter out. It does have plenty of 'clank' though, which is more 1.5kHz!

Thanks dB, that makes good sense and I'll try to get with the jargon! 😁

So I guess I'm not into 'clanky' drive tones which is at the core of this pedal, but much more into meaty growl.

Although having said that, I am a huge fan of Geddy!! 

On 14/07/2019 at 17:35, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

So I finally got a chance to play this and I put a quick video together with my Gibson LP DC Tribute bass played with a pick.

It's my first time using a loop pedal so forgive the sloppiness. 

I'm really happy with it. It's pretty easy to find a sound I like, even with the most anti-geddy bass ever, but as well as it being easy to get a good sound, there's alot of tweaking you can do.

Thanks for posting your review. I was a little confused. Were you running the YYZ into the VT Bass or the VT Bass into the YYZ. Since they are both SansAmps with speaker emulation you might get a better idea of the tones by running the YYZ on its own.

The Low and High do not change the amount of Drive available as they are both post SansAmp. There might be a perceived change as overdrive boosts the harmonic content and increasing highs with distortion will accentuate the effect. The mid control however is before the Drive and that will influence the amount of distortion.

• Like 2

Two excellent YT demonstrations of the pedal. 

Tim Starace - demonstrating how the Geddy pedal can do 'Geddy' flawlessly. Been up on YouTube a while so you may have seen this one already, but he's a really impressive bassist!

Excellent (recent) explanation by DistortedBass (a TB'er) of how the pedal does everything else besides Geddy.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

Got mine in. Have to say at the moment I prefer my VTDI. But I do have ancient strings on well overdue for a change, plus haven't tried it alongside a mix yet, so will give it a fair run!

With the BB1025X which has quite a lot of output and low end, the YYZ definitely needs the tight switch to stop overloading the clipping section with too much low end. It's the same with the VT, but I achieve a similar effect to the tight switch with the VT by cranking up the character and cutting back on the mids and blend. It somehow sounds more Geddy than the Geddy pedal, but I probably would not be saying that if I had a Geddy bass with fresh strings on!

It's definitely more than capable of being a subtle warm drive pedal though, it's not overly nasal/fizzy/clanky until you really push the gain.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

With the BB1025X which has quite a lot of output and low end, the YYZ definitely needs the tight switch to stop overloading the clipping section with too much low end. It's the same with the VT, but I achieve a similar effect to the tight switch with the VT by cranking up the character and cutting back on the mids and blend. It somehow sounds more Geddy than the Geddy pedal, but I probably would not be saying that if I had a Geddy bass with fresh strings on!

Any chance you could share a pic/diagram of those VTDI settings?

• 2 weeks later...

Try mids at 10 o'clock, character at 2-3 o'clock, drive at 11 o'clock, bass at noon, treble at 11, and blend just past halfway.

Since playing this more however I've come to prefer the YYZ! I have to boost the mids and treble to get the same kind of bite that the VT has naturally. The top end is a lot less shrill on the YYZ too, which I like. The low end on the VT gets kind of blurry and indistinct as its being driven, whereas it's so much clearer on the YYZ (when the tight switch is pressed in), especially on a low B.

When it comes to this vs the DP3X, the YYZ sounds miles better when auditioned solo, or when you want the bass to take a main role in the mix - but the DP3X works better when playing it alongside a full mix, which is where it counts I guess. Bearing in mind this is not with a live band as I'm not in one any more, this is playing along to album tracks either in headphones or my bass amp combined with hifi speakers. Pretty sure though I'd get just as good results from the YYZ by adding some additional compression and EQ.

Also, if you're a fan of Geezer Butler's grindy tones on the last Sabbath album 13, the YYZ nails that!

Anyone interest in getting one, check with @tonyxtiger first to see if he has any going at the discounted rate, otherwise Guitar Guitar currently have 1 in stock right now!

• Like 4

I think I paid £170 for mine in the States (when you convert it from dollars) and that included the state tax.  If the cheapest I can get it now I'm back at home is £230, and that's from Thomann in Germany then I think something must be up.

I also bought the q-strip whilst in the US last year. Think I paid around £160 (from Prymaxe, might have been b-stock), the cheapest I can see it is £270 now.

As far as I'm concerned, Tech21 can charge as much as they want for their products but what I dislike is the massive hike in price when not buying in the US.