Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee pedal

Bigwan

On 15/01/2019 at 15:57, spectoremg said:

This post is awesome. In the space of a page three of the most dreadful bass tones have been mentioned: Geddy, Lemmy and Entwistle.

AKA 3 guys that play bass in trio format loud bands (yes, the Who had a singer, too, but just 3 instruments). Their tone is part of why their bands could make so much noise with just 3 guys.

1 hour ago, micguy said:

AKA 3 guys that play bass in trio format loud bands (yes, the Who had a singer, too, but just 3 instruments). Their tone is part of why their bands could make so much noise with just 3 guys.

Yep, a bit like rhythm guitar really, filling out the sound and making sure the backside of the song doesn’t fall out on lead guitar solos. Having trebly/driven sound really helps this.

On 17/01/2019 at 15:14, Tech21NYC said:

Yes, it will be announced at NAMM. The unit is expected to ship in May for the US and Europe. If you keep in eye on our Facebook page that's where most updated information is. 

Gear4Music now have these listed on their website for £249.

Estimated Delivery 9th Feb.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Tech-21-SansAmp-Geddy-Lee-YYZ/2UA6?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhKviBRCNARIsAAGZ7Cd07T9UYyhxtylUhCucU3-Mb_NeI6015LiAAmmFRNCKAMtRceUiV9oaArJNEALw_wcB

From personal experience I wouldn't trust their estimated delivery dates for pre-order items (actually that also applies for their in stock items too).

15 hours ago, YeastieB said:

Here's a NAMM demo.  I'm both excited about it but wondering whether I'd want to be tied to Geddy's EQ settings that are inbuilt?

The only baked in non-adjustable EQ is on the deep/clean channel. I would assume this is to roll off the mids/highs and boost the bass to provide a deeper sound that blends well with the other channel which has less low end and more present mids. Overall, since you can adjust the balance of these two sides and you have a full 3 band EQ on the dirty side, I think you’ll be pretty much sorted when it comes to EQ options!

Looking forward to trying this combined with a Spectracomp, then flipping between that and DP3X as different channels.

7 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

The only baked in non-adjustable EQ is on the deep/clean channel. I would assume this is to roll off the mids/highs and boost the bass to provide a deeper sound that blends well with the other channel which has less low end and more present mids. Overall, since you can adjust the balance of these two sides and you have a full 3 band EQ on the dirty side, I think you’ll be pretty much sorted when it comes to EQ options!

Looking forward to trying this combined with a Spectracomp, then flipping between that and DP3X as different channels.

Ok, so lots of options. Now super-excited. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2019 at 05:29, dave_bass5 said:

Ok. Cut down was the wrong word, but to me it looks just like another Charecter pedal, all be it with a twist.

Ive always thought Geddy’s tone came from his fingers, playing style and action on his basses. After all, what did he use to use before the preamp came out that gave him the same tone. 

Still could be an interesting addition to the ranger i guess. 

It's not a Character pedal at all. It's a completely different circuit though it does use the same enclosure as do a number of our other pedals. 

On 20/01/2019 at 05:29, dave_bass5 said:

1 hour ago, Tech21NYC said:

It's not a Character pedal at all. It's a completely different circuit though it does use the same enclosure as do a number of our other pedals. 

But doesn't it give your tone Geddy's character 🙂

To me that implies its a pedal designed to give your tone a certain character, just like the others, but in a different way. I know its not as simple as that but thats the end result. Similar box, different tone coming gout of it.

ill be interested to hear what other tones its capable of. Geddy's tone is great for Geddy, but id like to see how versatile it is for getting less Geddy tones. The Deep/Drive knob looks interesting.

It's basically two Sansamps in parallel @dave_bass5, one has the gain and EQ pre set, the other adjustable via the controls, then the deep/drive control adjusts the blend between them. So it should be just as, if not more versatile as a BDDI or VT Bass, and they are no one-trick ponies. Looking forward to trying one, I could never persuade myself to get the preamp, but don't need much persuading to get the pedal!

• Like 1

I'll just jump in with my ten pence, in addition to the Sansamp stuff and a couple of Avalon U5 preamp/di's, Geddy used the Orange AD200 valve head and a couple of the OBC 410 cabs for parts of the time machine tour, retaining the AD200 head for one of his 4 lines to the pa until the final tour.....

22 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

But doesn't it give your tone Geddy's character 🙂

To me that implies its a pedal designed to give your tone a certain character, just like the others, but in a different way. I know its not as simple as that but thats the end result. Similar box, different tone coming gout of it.

ill be interested to hear what other tones its capable of. Geddy's tone is great for Geddy, but id like to see how versatile it is for getting less Geddy tones. The Deep/Drive knob looks interesting.

You're kind of reaching with the Character reference. If you want to think of it is a Character pedal I'm not going to be the one to stop you. The Character series pedals were designed to get the "Character" of a specific type of amplifier. The GED-2112 was based on our RPM and we added the Deep channel to distill the multi-source rig Geddy had been using down to a single rack piece. So in the pedal the Drive side is more of a scaled back RPM and a preset Deep Channel. While it can easily get the Geddy tone it is still a SansAmp and can be adjusted for many different sounds. 

It's a cool pedal I was just playing one this morning. Of course I'm biased but I encourage you to try one when available. 

Edited by Tech21NYC
  • Like 2

Well I'm vurry interested, that's for sure! Daft question: what exactly does the Tight button do? (or rather, what is it doing, technically?)

I think the complaint that X's tone is in their fingers, strings, basses etc. is moot. You could make a Jaco pedal that accurately captures the noise he generally made and you'd get loads of complaints about how you can't distil his genius. Why buy anything endorsed by/designed with/recreating the tone of, anyone if it can't be done?

/2cents

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Well I'm vurry interested, that's for sure! Daft question: what exactly does the Tight button do? (or rather, what is it doing, technically?)

I think the complaint that X's tone is in their fingers, strings, basses etc. is moot. You could make a Jaco pedal that accurately captures the noise he generally made and you'd get loads of complaints about how you can't distil his genius. Why buy anything endorsed by/designed with/recreating the tone of, anyone if it can't be done?

/2cents

Its not a complaint, its a fact. There are many, many threads about gear that has a big name on it and how some people will expect to sound like the name on the headstock etc. Not my words, that too is fact. What makes this any different?

Hasn't Geddy had this tone for decades? That was my point about the fingers etc. He never used a Geddy branded effect in the past to get this tone, yet his tone has remained fairly consistent and distinctive.

im not knocking the pedal or Tech 21 as such, im just replaying to your comment about mine. If the new box gets you very close to that tone then thats cool, but so can other boxes i would assume, as many people have gotten that tone.

The Jaco statement seems strange. Surely if you buy the same bass as him you will sound like him......unless its to do with how he plays 😉

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Surely if you buy the same bass as him you will sound like him......unless its to do with how he plays 😉

I’ve bought several different Flea basses, I don’t sound remotely like him, unless I’ve had a drink... that means it’s me.. 😳😂😂

• Haha 4

"Tight button to add definition to your notes in cleaner settings and make distorted tones snappier."

A signature piece of gear doesn't mean that you will automatically sound like the artist it's associated with or it can only be used for one sound. With a stringed instrument there are way too many variables. As a player you have to consider the approach of anyone if you're trying to sound like them. For the artist it's a piece of gear that makes it easy for them to dial in their tone. They can probably obtain similar tones with other gear but it may require more work. In a piece like the dUg Ultra Bass 1000 that's a pretty unique amp. It was designed for dUg but it can work for a lot of people that may or may not necessarily want his tone.

• Like 1

The tight button chops off some of the lows going into the drive circuit. Why might you want that? Because particularly with high output basses with a lot of low end, those low frequencies make the overdrive sound overly fuzzy/bloated. This way you can  tighten up the distortion, and you still have a full range deep channel and an EQ you can use to compensate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 15/01/2019 at 21:57, spectoremg said:

This post is awesome. In the space of a page three of the most dreadful bass tones have been mentioned: Geddy, Lemmy and Entwistle.

Geddy to bass tech: 'I need you to make this Jazz sound like a Rick cos Fender are paying me a shedload to play them...'

Ah the contrarian... that's usually me when it comes to Pino or someone else 'tasteful' (dull). I for one love Geddy and JE's tones...

I think this is glorious:

And I think this is glorious too...