Why become a member? ×

Becos CompIQ. Anyone seen this?

dave_bass5

I've tried to record further examples but I really can't add anything new that improves on the video in the OP as far as the basic functions are concerned. 

I've also found that it sounds spectacular with my RMI Basswitch Dual compressor placed before it. They complement each other perfectly with the Dual Comp mostly taming the low frequencies and the Becos ignoring those frequencies (with the SCF switch set to low or deep).

44 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

I've tried to record further examples but I really can't add anything new that improves on the video in the OP as far as the basic functions are concerned. 

I've also found that it sounds spectacular with my RMI Basswitch Dual compressor placed before it. They complement each other perfectly with the Dual Comp mostly taming the low frequencies and the Becos ignoring those frequencies (with the SCF switch set to low or deep).

Interesting. Sounds like a Thumpinator or other HPF would similarly work to take out the low end crud in place of the RMI. 

HPF --> comp is how I have things set up on my board, so good to hear that combination working well elsewhere. 

46 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting. Sounds like a Thumpinator or other HPF would similarly work to take out the low end crud in place of the RMI. 

HPF --> comp is how I have things set up on my board, so good to hear that combination working well elsewhere. 

Not exactly. A HPF will remove the very low frequencies whereas the Dual Comp compresses them at a higher ratio than it does the higher frequencies. The changeover frequency for this can be set on the Dual Comp.

The Becos on the other hand can be set to ignore the low frequencies using the Side Chain Filter, preventing the lows from triggering the compression, ultimately leaving the lows uncompressed.

The end result of combining these is a very full punchy, articulate tone that has a fantastic feel under the fingers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

Not exactly. A HPF will remove the very low frequencies whereas the Dual Comp compresses them at a higher ratio than it does the higher frequencies. The changeover frequency for this can be set on the Dual Comp.

The Becos on the other hand can be set to ignore the low frequencies using the Side Chain Filter, preventing the lows from triggering the compression, ultimately leaving the lows uncompressed.

The end result of combining these is a very full punchy, articulate tone that has a fantastic feel under the fingers.

I will also add that putting my Broughton HPF before the Becos doesn't have the same effect!

Well someone has just filched my Keeley Bassist.

Tbf I decided that a dedicated limiter was overkill at the end of the pedal board signal chain to protect my cab against filter and synth 'spikes' fed to it via an amp, when I'm just using the pedals at home practice volumes currently and the cab can handle 1200W, and also when my Helix Stomp has perfectly adequate limiter ability, I'm sure, if needed for live use. 

So I just now need to work out why the heck my TC Spectracomp manages to do such a great job straight out the box when set to 3/10! Bit tricky with just one knob to do that...but when I have worked it out, the Becos Stella is definitely next on my list.

Maybe you'll be ready to sell me yours used by then? 😄 

• Haha 2

Easy answer on the Spectracomp - it’s controlling way more than one parameter (40+ at least) by turning the knob up. The editor app will tell you and show you exactly what you need to know should you feel daring and take the plunge!

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

Easy answer on the Spectracomp - it’s controlling way more than one parameter (40+ at least) by turning the knob up. The editor app will tell you and show you exactly what you need to know should you feel daring and take the plunge!

Yeh - I need to hook it up to my PC, I guess, and see what's going on under the bonnet!

But there does seem to be a lot of love for the 'straight out the box' setting on the Spectracomp with a lot of users. And it's such bloody good value and takes up so little space! 

I think the app on iPhone works too now since the update. That was certainly what a lot of users were punching for. It’s a lot of fun to muck about with and you can always just reset to ‘factory’ if things get too ‘involved’

28 minutes ago, krispn said:

I think the app on iPhone works too now since the update. That was certainly what a lot of users were punching for. 

Ok cool. I just need to buy an iPhone then to go alongside my £50 pedal...

😁

28 minutes ago, krispn said:

It’s a lot of fun to muck about with and you can always just reset to ‘factory’ if things get too ‘involved’

That sounds good. And we know that factory works well, so a very nice parachute to have! 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

Mine's going nowhere 😁. Choosing which great sounding setting to use might take some time though.

Fighting talk! Let's check in in 18 months, I may have worked out what the heck my Spectracomp is doing by then haha 😁

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/04/2019 at 14:18, Opticaleye said:

Mine's going nowhere 😁. Choosing which great sounding setting to use might take some time though.

Well my Spectracomp has unexpectedly been usurped by a single effect patch on the capable (and amazing value) Zoom B1X-4 mulitfx and is currently sitting in the departure lounge...

A month in, how are you getting on with the Stella? Is it still stellar :) and how does it stack up against the other comps you've had over the years?

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well my Spectracomp has unexpectedly been usurped by a single effect patch on the capable (and amazing value) Zoom B1X-4 mulitfx and is currently sitting in the departure lounge...

A month in, how are you getting on with the Stella? Is it still stellar :) and how does it stack up against the other comps you've had over the years?

Yeah it's great. The tilt EQ I'm finding really useful. I like it better than my Lehle Basswitch Dual comp and Markbass Compressore.

It sounds especially great with the Dual comp and Basswitch Classic boost before it. A definite improvement to the tone and I wouldn't consider not having it always on.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's great to hear. Well you've had a LOT of experience with comps, what's special about this one that makes it so indispensable?

It has a lot of powerful options that all sound good, including the limiting, compression, parallel compression, tape saturation and tilt eq, and none of these take away quality from the original signal.

All too often at a gig I eventually resort to unplugging a pedal in favour of going straight in to the amp. I've never had to do this with the Stella.

• Like 2

Got my hands on a Stella this morning. I guess that folk who know me will be aware that I'm a bit (ok a lot!) of a skeptic when it comes to compressors, although I did quite like the 'devil's one knob' Spectracomp as I could finally hear a compressor doing something useful / positive to my sound.

The Stella is clearly quite a step up from the Spectracomp in its feature set (and a corresponding hike in price). I've a got a fair learning curve to get up to speed with this comp, but my 'day 1' impressions of the Stella are very positive. Subtle but positive impact on tone** is immediately there to hear and in line with expectations of a VCA compressor which are supposedly fast and relatively transparent; really good metering and multi-faceted control including wet / dry mix and side chain filter both of which should aid in preserving a fulsome low end.

Already had a BC buddy wanting first dibs on this pedal when I move it on - but I've got a sneaky suspicion I may have finally found "my" comp so it could be a while before he gets his hands permanently on it! :) 

** not yet clear to me is the inherent character of the pedal and how much is down to compression, though!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Got my hands on a Stella this morning. I guess that folk who know me will be aware that I'm a bit (ok a lot!) of a skeptic when it comes to compressors, although I did quite like the 'devil's one knob' Spectracomp as I could finally hear a compressor doing something useful / positive to my sound.

The Stella is clearly quite a step up from the Spectracomp in its feature set (and a corresponding hike in price). I've a got a fair learning curve to get up to speed with this comp, but my 'day 1' impressions of the Stella are very positive. Subtle but positive impact on tone is immediately there to hear and in line with expectations of a VCA compressor which are supposedly fast and relatively transparent; really good metering and multi-faceted control including wet / dry mix and side chain filter both of which should aid in preserving a fulsome low end.

Already had a BC buddy wanting first dibs on this pedal when I move it on - but I've got a sneaky suspicion I may have finally found "my" comp so it could be a while before he gets his hands permanently on it! :) 

Cool. So are you going to use it with your live rig Bas?