Why become a member? ×

Bands that wont learn covers properly.

Guest subaudio

Just now, ubit said:

That Curry’s branch has been closed for years now. Sad, as I really liked it. The live scene here used to be great in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s , but again sadly, this has fallen into decline. One thing about Oban, you certainly will learn to drink here as the ratio of pubs to people is very high. Just a shame that the ones that used to promote live music, have stopped all that. I am sure that live music comes in cycles and will again be in fashion. Trouble is, round here they all seem to want Scottish music rocked up. It’s just not my scene. 

That's a shame as I put a lot of effort (and hangovers) into that store. The whole 'Scottish experience' was brilliant and as a naive young man, I learned an awful lot of life lessons from the people i encountered.

I still remember the chill feeling when out for a drink with the hotel receptionist up in Wick and her trawlerman boyfriend came back early from a fishing trip. He was about nine foot tall with hands like sides of ham.....

I also remember the local ambulance used to go past the shop with lights and sirens every lunchtime so the driver could nip home for his lunch....

See, you've started me off now......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

The Perle .......bit of an odd name for a good old fashioned Hotel with character.

I think it’s a chain. It’s certainly a bit more up market now. It was becoming a bit tired I think. 

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What club in Hamilton out of curiosity ?

After all these years I'm doing well to remember that it was Hamilton so the club name has definitely gone. I was working in (another) Curry's store and one of the salesmen worked in this club that was owned by his Dad. Apparently, Rod used to host a private party there every year for his preferred football team (and i can't now remember if it was Celtic or Rangers) - they wanted casual bar staff for the night and he asked me if I fancied earning a few quid.....

1 minute ago, Skinnyman said:

After all these years I'm doing well to remember that it was Hamilton so the club name has definitely gone. I was working in (another) Curry's store and one of the salesmen worked in this club that was owned by his Dad. Apparently, Rod used to host a private party there every year for his preferred football team (and i can't now remember if it was Celtic or Rangers) - they wanted casual bar staff for the night and he asked me if I fancied earning a few quid.....

I can confirm that the *#+* is a fan of Celtic 😢

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Rococco's probably as the clientelle in there tended to be "well off" people. I played there once but don't think our kind of music was what they really wanted. Pinball Wizard and Pink Floyds Time not really the trendy peoples kind of music in the 80's :laugh1: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

He used to support Rangers at one time but is more known for supporting Celtic these days.

Image result for Rod Stewart in Rangers football top images

I can't be certain but i thought it was Rangers - but his well known support for Celtic has always made me question my memory. Maybe i was right after all....

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Rococco's probably as the clientelle in there tended to be "well off" people. I played there once but don't think our kind of music was what they really wanted. Pinball Wizard and Pink Floyds Time not really the trendy peoples kind of music in the 80's :laugh1: 

Just remembered Celtic and Scotland player Wee Jimmy Jonhstone used to own a club in Hamilton during 70's. Think it was called the Double J. 

On 09/02/2019 at 10:43, Skinnyman said:

I can't be certain but i thought it was Rangers - but his well known support for Celtic has always made me question my memory. Maybe i was right after all....

He actually was foolish enough to appear at one of his gigs in Glasgow wearing a Celtic top. There was nearly a riot. Now it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that if you play ANY city , you wouldn’t wear the colours of any team. You immediately alienate half the audience. He later said “ oh, I didn’t think anyone would mind” what a div!

1 hour ago, ubit said:

He actually was foolish enough to appear at one of his gigs in Glasgow wearing a Celtic top. There was nearly a riot. Now it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that if you play ANY city , you wouldn’t wear the colours of any team. You immediately alienate half the audience. He later said “ oh, I didn’t think anyone would mind” what a div!

The cynical part of me (the bit between my toenails and the tips of my hair fiollicles!) says Rod knew exactly what the reaction would be but wanted to get one over on the Bluenoses anyway. How can you be from Glasgow and support either Caltic or Rangerzs, and yet not know the reaction of the other half of that city? I don't buy it. I think he wanted to parade his Celtic allegiance to annoy half of his audience.

My toenails on the other foot say he is innocent and really didn't think anyone would mind (I am giving them their bi-annual cut this afternoon (it invoves wire cuters, a hand file, and plenty of paper towel for the blood spillage).

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Deanol said:

The cynical part of me (the bit between my toenails and the tips of my hair fiollicles!) says Rod knew exactly what the reaction would be but wanted to get one over on the Bluenoses anyway. How can you be from Glasgow and support either Caltic or Rangerzs, and yet not know the reaction of the other half of that city? I don't buy it. I think he wanted to parade his Celtic allegiance to annoy half of his audience.

My toenails on the other foot say he is innocent and really didn't think anyone would mind (I am giving them their bi-annual cut this afternoon (it invoves wire cuters, a hand file, and plenty of paper towel for the blood spillage).

well, he's not from Glasgow for starters...

And his Dad's from Edinburgh/Leith so that should make him a Hibs supporter...