Why become a member? ×

Bands that wont learn covers properly.

Guest subaudio

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

AHA but you could look at this in another way :- you are one of the common denominators alng with GF. 

Makes you think now :laugh1:xD:laugh1:

Well know im special lol.

Every band ive been in ive put 100% in to it to make sure im not the one letting us down. Im not saying im always spot on, far from it, but i make if i say ill do something i will. As a group that agrees to do something i think it fair that you dont let others down.

That shouldn't sound as heavy and intense as it comes across though,  🙂

• Like 1

In our band, the guitarist, who is my mate, thought he was the band leader and tried to be in charge of everything. Resorting a lot to passive aggression to get his way. I’ve known him all my life, so I would flat out argue with him if I disagreed and sometimes just because I was sick of him being so bossy. The drummer and rhythm guitarist used to call us Mummy and Daddy. One of my biggest annoyances was when we all agreed to do a song, if he didn’t want to do it, we didn’t do it. He just wouldn’t learn it. Next rehearsal, we would ask, have you learned such and such? No, but I have learned this! Then he would produce a song that he wanted to do, but we hadnt agreed on. Made me realise that I didn’t want to play with him anymore. 

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, markdavid said:

I once played in a covers band where the drummer was insistent that everything had to be exactly note for note like the original recording.  We played Immigrant song and I put a slide in at the end of one of the lines, nothing over the top just a simple descending slide and and he stopped playing, the guitar player stopped playing and he screamed at me that the original did not have slides in it , I left that band not long after

It was just one slide too far 😀

One of the big advantages of playing in a function/covers band that doesn't rehearse (we gave that up a long time ago, once we'd been playing together long enough) is that when a version of a new cover does the rounds, everyone knows it's exactly that version which must be learnt; anything else and the miscreant will look a piece of onstage cheese, and an old and yellow piece of onstage cheese at that...

It helps that we're a trio, too - there's nowhere to hide... 😉

I should add that within these boundaries, we'll change stuff on the fly: nothing super-technical, but if the BL judges a song's gone on long enough, he'll call an early end, especially with the funkier/dance numbers - Le Freak is a good example; it can go on and on and on, long after it's made its point; sometimes the dancefloor is loving it, and we'll persevere, sometimes he spots them flagging, and calls it for something else. Ditto the reverse, if people are dancing, we'll keep something going.

Edited by Muzz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well know im special lol.

Every band ive been in ive put 100% in to it to make sure im not the one letting us down. Im not saying im always spot on, far from it, but i make if i say ill do something i will. As a group that agrees to do something i think it fair that you dont let others down.

That shouldn't sound as heavy and intense as it comes across though,  🙂

Exactly same attitude i have so not heavy or intense at all. If you want a band to work you need to put the effort in otherwise you are just wasting each others time and money.

Dave

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:40, Skinnyman said:

Rather, my biggest bugbear is learning a particular version of a song to be told "oh, we play such-a-bodies version" or "we do the version from their live album with the extended bridge section".

One of the funniest things I ever heard, was in a documentary about a Flemish rock band. They were auditioning drummers, and the bloke who auditioned was their number 1 fan. So they say: "Ok, let's play such-and-such tune" and the drummer goes: "Which version?" Band didn't know what he meant so he goes: "Well, the album version, the shortened single version or the extended version from your live album?" He definitely came prepared.

I am once again going to attempt to get my band to play "Damn Right, I've Got The Blues" correctly. The second solo and the end section stays on A (unless I am TOTALLY wrong) but the guitarists would always play through the blues changes. Now that one guitarist is gone, I see an opportunity!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ubit said:

In our band, the guitarist, who is my mate, thought he was the band leader and tried to be in charge of everything. Resorting a lot to passive aggression to get his way. I’ve known him all my life, so I would flat out argue with him if I disagreed and sometimes just because I was sick of him being so bossy. The drummer and rhythm guitarist used to call us Mummy and Daddy. One of my biggest annoyances was when we all agreed to do a song, if he didn’t want to do it, we didn’t do it. He just wouldn’t learn it. Next rehearsal, we would ask, have you learned such and such? No, but I have learned this! Then he would produce a song that he wanted to do, but we hadnt agreed on. Made me realise that I didn’t want to play with him anymore. 

That really used to annoy the Heck out of me but lucky enough current band doesn't have that attitude at all.

47 minutes ago, ubit said:

Either we have been in a band with exactly the same guitarist or this is a common trait in the guitarist species...yours wasn't a ginger scotsman was he?

4 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Either we have been in a band with exactly the same guitarist or this is a common trait in the guitarist species...yours wasn't a ginger scotsman was he?

Nah, he’s a bald as a Coot Scotsman

• Haha 1

just remembered a story regarding different versions of songs, we play the single version of Holiday in Cambodia but the album version ending (the extended Pol Pot bit, if you know the song) anyway our singer gets invited up to sing it with another band because they knew we did it, trouble is they played the single version ending, I stood there eyes closed waiting for the inevitable car crash at the end

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

40 minutes ago, ubit said:

Nah, he’s a bald as a Coot Scotsman

Hawd oan a minute there you twa. Yir painting a very poor picture o us Scotsmen. :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

You cannae have it both ways. We're either ginger or bald but not both. I've never seen a bald ginger Scotsman xD

I know loads of Scotsmen with that attitude, they're not that rare to be honest. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

just remembered a story regarding different versions of songs, we play the single version of Holiday in Cambodia but the album version ending (the extended Pol Pot bit, if you know the song) anyway our singer gets invited up to sing it with another band because they knew we did it, trouble is they played the single version ending, I stood there eyes closed waiting for the inevitable car crash at the end

A good singer would have ad-libbed the right version :laugh1:

Dave

Just remembered about a gig i did as a dep a few years ago. I had played with this band a few times so knew their set and versions etc. We were asked to play Cant take my eyes off you as a first dance, as the B&G had a routine worked out. play it at the same tempo as the original etc. Band agreed, it was on their play list anyway. When B&G left the room i pointed out that their version was nowhere near the version they were asked to play. they had 3 solos, and an extra repeated verse in it. Quite funny seeing the blood drain from their little faces when they realised they didn't know how it should go. Just as well my band did a straight version of it. We were in the middle of nowhere so internet either.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Hawd oan a minute there you twa. Yir painting a very poor picture o us Scotsmen. :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

You cannae have it both ways. We're either ginger or bald but not both. I've never seen a bald ginger Scotsman xD

I know loads of Scotsmen with that attitude, they're not that rare to be honest. :laugh1:

Dave

you have just proved that this is something done by all the Scotsmen in our sample size, regardless of hair...

...you don't by any chance, conveniently never quite get round to learning the songs that you don't personally like?  If so then it's conclusive proof that it's all Scotsmen.  If not then it's all Scottish guitarists*

*until the sample size increases and proves otherwise

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

you have just proved that this is something done by all the Scotsmen in our sample size, regardless of hair...

...you don't by any chance, conveniently never quite get round to learning the songs that you don't personally like?  If so then it's conclusive proof that it's all Scotsmen.  If not then it's all Scottish guitarists*

*until the sample size increases and proves otherwise

I'm the exception to the rule. I'll learn any song the band decides on and usually go a little further and learn the ones they talk about maybe doing in future. Early retirement does have its advantages of course. Just means when it comes round to doing them i'm already up to speed altho recently learned one and they decided it didn't really fit with us even before trying it but hey ho cant win them all.

I have come across that with guitarists up here tho so your theory might just stand its ground there. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

There's a confusing number of songs with the same name. Power of Love. Doctor, Doctor being just two.

I have an unerring ability to learn the wrong one

Good topic for another thread methinks. Songs with same name but different. ?

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

we have a rule, if in doubt follow the singer because he'll just plough on regardless, unfortunately the other band weren't aware of it:lol:

That’s what I used to try to tell the other guys in the band. I’m also the singer, so if I start singing a chorus when there’s meant to be a solo, just follow me. The audience won’t notice, but a glaring look and shouting will be noticed. It’s easier if you are just playing to ad-lib, but if you are playing and singing and you get it wrong, it’s harder to change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just remembered about a gig i did as a dep a few years ago. I had played with this band a few times so knew their set and versions etc. We were asked to play Cant take my eyes off you as a first dance, as the B&G had a routine worked out. play it at the same tempo as the original etc. Band agreed, it was on their play list anyway. When B&G left the room i pointed out that their version was nowhere near the version they were asked to play. they had 3 solos, and an extra repeated verse in it. Quite funny seeing the blood drain from their little faces when they realised they didn't know how it should go. Just as well my band did a straight version of it. We were in the middle of nowhere so internet either.

Great story! So what happened, did you basically communicate the changes on the fly?

S.P.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good topic for another thread methinks. Songs with same name but different. ?

I guess it's actually "different songs with the same name where you start to play one version and the rest of the band are playing the other, especially where you don't realise until the chorus."

A thread with quite limited appeal I'd suggest, but one to which I could certainly contribute...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1