Why become a member? ×

Tonight, Matthew, I'm gonna be...

Mickeyboro

Explanation to non-UK TV viewers: the title refers to an old show called 'Stars In Their Eyes' when members of the public impersonated singing celebs.

In a recent conversation with my dear pal 

@bumnote he revealed he's once auditioned to replace Joe Jackson bassist Graham Maby (whom we both idolise) in a Portsmouth band - possibly the one left to join JJ. Sadly, he failed.

I once auditioned, equally unsuccessfully, to replace Tom Robinson in his less successful follow-up to the TRB, Sector 27. I was a guitarist at the time. Anyone else tried to step into the shoes of the famous?

Edited by Mickeyboro

7 hours ago, Raymondo said:

No.

But Colin Gibb( of Black Lace infamy ) replaced me in the band I left when I returned to the UK after a stint in Tenerife.😎😜😂

Sorry, but that's quite embarrassing. No offence, but to be replaced by someone from Black Lace!  😂

23 minutes ago, ubit said:

Sorry, but that's quite embarrassing. No offence, but to be replaced by someone from Black Lace!  😂

That was the point of me posting the fact😉

Actually Colin is a nice guy and a more than capable bass player.

Whenever I go to visit friends I catch a "Black Lace party" show and although it's as cheesy as a '70's fondue party the punters love it! 

• Like 3

Best one I heard about was Nick Fyffe when he auditioned for bass role in Jamiroquai. He had also auditioned for the same position in a Jamiroquai tribute band. 

On the day he got the job with Jamiroquai, he drove home from Jay Kay's place. When he got back there was a voice message on his home phone from the Jamiroquai tribute band, saying that they'd passed on him as they didn't think he was the right man for the job!! 

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

That was the point of me posting the fact😉

Actually Colin is a nice guy and a more than capable bass player.

Whenever I go to visit friends I catch a "Black Lace party" show and although it's as cheesy as a '70's fondue party the punters love it! 

I’m sure he is a decent musician mate. I was just being hilarious. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Yup. 

The Darkness, the first time Frankie left. 

Got a really nice personalized email from the Management, thanking me for my interest, but they'd already got someone. 

Wowzers, that would have been a great gig. The guy they got was one of their crew/techs, Ritchie I think his name was. Went on to be the singer/bassist in The Stone Gods with Dan and Ed from The Darkness.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:37, Mickeyboro said:

Anyone else tried to step into the shoes of the famous?

Jah Wobble - and it wrecked my head for a while to be honest. I was 21 and playing casually with Keith Levene, who primarily is like a brother rather than a band mate. Being huge fan of Jah and his style it weighed on my mind for some time - plus Keith had also spent a lot of time with Flea and Hillel from RHCP in the 80's so that was also a major weight I put on myself. It got better as I developed and got closer to Keith. Oh yeah, and also when I realised that I may be alright at bass, but would never be in their league!