Why become a member? ×

Bass for REAL bass players! 😁

Witters

I'm surprised that no-one here remembers that Basschat's @Mr. Foxen was involved with the building of a Modern Octobass for Linder Sterling which was documented in this thread.

Unfortunately it was some time ago and many of the links in the thread no longer work. However if you Google "Linder" and "Octobass" you will be able to find out all about it.

On 19/01/2019 at 14:12, mybass said:

This is out of my DB history book with an explanation of sorts in the lower paragraph. It was good to see this post with the 'modern' version.

Scan.thumb.jpeg.c8a2cb833893f1e8540958631ae99abc.jpeg

would you be able to let me know what book that is please? it looks like just the kind of thing i enjoy reading (presuming that copies are available for less than a kings ransom!

thanks

Matt

6 hours ago, Matt P said:

would you be able to let me know what book that is please? it looks like just the kind of thing i enjoy reading (presuming that copies are available for less than a kings ransom!

thanks

Matt

Matt, I doubt you will be able to find these books easily. There are three, written by Raymond Elgar in the days of black and white, the 1960’s. I think there was a reprint done in the USA a few years ago of the three books. They are fascinating. They are called “Introduction ToThe Double Bass”....”More About The Double Bass”....”Looking At The Double Bass”. There are mistakes in them about certain basses and you will find online comments about this. Some professional players have said they knew the bass in a certain picture and that Elgar had not got the maker correct for that particular bass etc etc. Current online prices vary greatly for a single book from £150-350....

13 hours ago, mybass said:

Matt, I doubt you will be able to find these books easily. There are three, written by Raymond Elgar in the days of black and white, the 1960’s. I think there was a reprint done in the USA a few years ago of the three books. They are fascinating. They are called “Introduction ToThe Double Bass”....”More About The Double Bass”....”Looking At The Double Bass”. There are mistakes in them about certain basses and you will find online comments about this. Some professional players have said they knew the bass in a certain picture and that Elgar had not got the maker correct for that particular bass etc etc. Current online prices vary greatly for a single book from £150-350....

Thank you for the info, i had a nasty suspicion that they would be difficult to get and expensive but i'll make a note of them and keep my eye out when i'm in secondhand book shops etc, i seem to spend a fair amount of time browsing old books and you never know what will turn up!.

Matt

• Like 1