Why become a member? ×

EHX Bass Mono Synth

dannybuoy

• 11 different bass synthesizers
  • designed to work on bass guitar without any modifications, special pickups or MIDI implementation. 
  • CTRL knob to adjust a key parameter for each of the 11 synth types. There is also an EXP input that lets the player control an entirely different parameter in real-time with an expression pedal.
  • And (hooray!) there is a preset for each of the synth voices.

Ok it doesn't have anything like the FI's versatility, but with a street price of around £125 over here I'm guessing (based on announced $123.50 in the US), it looks good value.

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

...working in a covers band with two pop singers - it would’ve been a godsend.

Yup Andy - my thoughts exactly!

Really looking forward to checking this out and if it has tight tracking, I could very much see this getting onto a mini board to complement the Future Impact sitting on my main board. My only caveat is that I'm guessing at the price point this is coming in at, it will be repackaging of existing EHX Synth 9 digi synth hardware rather than anything new?

I've not generally been a big fan of EHX as I've often found some of their modulation pedals (e.g. EHX Pitchfork) to sound a little 'tinny' and, dare I say, synthetic(!) rather than natural, but that's obviously less of an issue in a synth pedal. I found the EHX Bass-Microsynth to be just a little "bland" as well as being pricey.

However, I sense this new offering from EHX has the potential to replace the likes of the Markbass SS (which I previously had) and which came out in 2011 and is starting to feel a little long in the tooth at the nearly £300 they are still going for new.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I saw this yesterday and I'm definately interested! Some of the sounds I'm hearing arn't a million miles away from the Deep Impact I borrowed! And at half the price of a used Future Impact. I think mixed with other pedals this could be very cool if it tracks well.

I want one!!! Always hated the totally unusable synth sounds you get on multi FX pedals. My boss GT10B gets slated for it's synths. My band are doing more and more 80's covers and to have this on my board sounds like it could cover the more tasteful synth territory. I'm keen. 

How do you think it stacks up next to the Boss SYB? I had one of those but never had need for it so moved it on, found it too extreme...

• Like 1

@EBS_freak turned me onto this last night. 

For the money, it looks an amazing pedal. The only major downside for me is the lack of MIDI switching. I use my FI a huge amount for the weddings/functions band material as I switch it from the loop switcher via MIDI.

Shame about the MIDI as the UI looks so much simpler on the Mono Synth and would have quite happily swapped out the FI for one of these other wise.

49 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

EHX don't 'alf churn out the pedals - and they are all usually cool too. Love the design.

It's cos its about embedded programming now. I haven't cracked these pedals opened... but it wouldn't surprise me if the physical boards in these pedals aren't very, very similar - the chips the same, only the code changes and all that.

12 minutes ago, tonyf said:

For the money, it looks an amazing pedal. The only major downside for me is the lack of MIDI switching. I use my FI a huge amount for the weddings/functions band material as I switch it from the loop switcher via MIDI.

I think this is aimed at people like me who don't have the patience to learn about midi and all that sorcery. It sounds like a good plug and play with useable sounds

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mcnach said:

stinky poo.

I might end up with one of them then...

It seems like being a good budget version of the FI that doesn't give you a zillion tweakable options or require any need to get into computer editing.

Now if I've remembered your previous posts correctly, that describes the sort of thing you like to a tee mcnach? :) 

Edited by Al Krow

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It seems like being a good budget version of the FI that doesn't give you a zillion tweakable options or require any need to get into computer editing.

Now if I've remembered your previous posts correctly, that describes the sort of thing you like to a tee mcnach? :) 

Precisely :D 

With one of these and the EHX Microsynth I already have, that's the two 'synth' sounds I could ever possibly want live sorted!

Hmm, surely another synth will be the answer to my troubles

Always room for one more. Maybe I'll just get rid of the tuner..

20181113_223507.thumb.jpg.3b1720aee12c258cca32e48c1af20c40.jpg

Seriously though, I really like the look of that video. Looks like a very usable pedal indeed.

Can't wait to try one!

Edited by basshead56
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, basshead56 said:

Hmm, surely another synth will be the answer to my troubles

Always room for one more. Maybe I'll just get rid of the tuner..

20181113_223507.thumb.jpg.3b1720aee12c258cca32e48c1af20c40.jpg

Seriously though, I really like the look of that video. Looks like a very usable pedal indeed.

Can't wait to try one!

If you rehouse your Future Impact in one of @GisserD‘s mini enclosures you’ll easily have the space. 

• 4 weeks later...

Also looking forward to trying both versions out. The Synth 9 for me sounded a bit cheap, so I’m hoping that this sounds as good in person as it does in the video. Definitely a couple of really useable sounds on there to satisfy my synthwave needs. I wonder how it sounds stacked with others?

• 2 weeks later...