Why become a member? ×

Is it worth me trying to sell to you guys in UK?

Chopthebass

Varies.

But if it’s the first time that particular bass has been in the U.K. it will attract import tax and VAT on the bass value and the shipping cost.

roughly 25% on top of the cost of the bass and shipping. 

Still, there’s a classifieds section on here for selling. Give it a try.

It's also worth remembering that (for reasons we are entirely forbidden from discussing) the value of the Pound has plummeted ever since we held a Referendum on Brexit (oops ... damn! damn! damn!) so your bass will now be a great deal more expensive over here than it would have been in 2016.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

£150 (ish) for shipping + 25-30% taxes + cites (possibly); an average Ray in the UK (not pre EB) is £850 ($1100).  You'd need to sell it for approx $600 - $650.... :(  

In short, no!  

I wouldn't sell an SR5 (or Stingray for that matter) for £850. More like £1000 or more dependent on type and spec. Agreed one of the notorious flippers of basses (or Stingrays) wouldn't be interested but if someone actually wants to buy one because they want a Stingray......

That said you are right - the dreadful currency exchange value means it's much better buying a bass in the UK from the US than the other way round. 

Happy Jack is quite right and those who would have us think anything else are indeed delusional!!

Edited by drTStingray

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

I wouldn't sell an SR5 (or Stingray for that matter) for £850. More like £1000 or more dependent on type and spec.

Sadly you can look through ebay & BC sales and find lots of examples (not just the odd mut) for sale at £850, in fact getting more than £850 would be a result!  :(

21 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Sadly you can look through ebay & BC sales and find lots of examples (not just the odd mut) for sale at £850, in fact getting more than £850 would be a result!  :(

People willing to wait seem to get much higher prices - look through The Gallery commission sales and others - and there is such a range of models and specs - some much more desirable than others. 

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

People willing to wait seem to get much higher prices - look through The Gallery commission sales and others - and there is such a range of models and specs - some much more desirable than others. 

Absolutely agree that there is a massive range of desirability in the range and some will certainly be of higher value than others but as a point of reference to the (non-UK) OP, an 'average' Ray can be had at or around the price I stated.  Many folks do hold out for a higher/better price and if it is in a nice colour/combo then they might get it but there's equally as many that don't sell.  Bringing in commission sales or shop prices takes it to a different place as the OP was talking about selling privately from the States to the UK.  

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

I got my first SR5 in metallic blue with matching headstock for £695 iirc.