Why become a member? ×

1966 P Bass - MINT!

BassApprentice

I’ve never really understood or got the whole vintage guitar/bass thing. I mean I do get it, get it but how can you honestly say that with the technology we have today they were building better basses back in the 1950’s ? Antiques are not my thing either or fake antiques 😂😂

On 18/01/2019 at 17:40, BassApprentice said:

I'm not normally one to drool over older basses. They do have their quirks and mojo etc. 

But this is RIDICULOUS! 

This bass is 52 years old. 

If that bass was Mint, wouldn't it be a sort of greenish white?

:|

• Haha 2

I do remember the theory being advanced years ago that a really old bass in this sort of unplayed condition was quite likely a sign of a bass that was no fun to play or that sounded dreadful.

Given that it's at The Bass Gallery I somehow doubt that this applies here, but I have an underlying curiosity as to how any bass survives 50 years in that condition. Did an aspiring bassist buy it new in 1965, discovered he was no musician, put it in its hard case under the bed and just forgot about it?

Indeed, some myths out there are that the clean ones were shite, so never played, and the battered ones were awesome, so played a lot. 

Years back I had 2 x 1966 P Basses, both built around the same time and very close in serial number. One battered, one very near mint. Well... I prefered the mint one and it’s on my wall as we speak. 

There’s great vintage basses, and awful vintage basses. The one in the OP could be either

DC592975-2921-470A-8451-02D0285AE7B9.jpeg

• Like 2