Why become a member? ×

Whats the most ridiculous thing you have been asked for on stage?

ubit

Plenty over the years, but two in particular come to mind:

1. Rough pub in a rough corner of Northampton (Morris Man?): mid song, we were approached by a guy the size of a brick poohouse dressed in a penguin suit and who Mike Tyson would have hestitated to quibble with. Turns out he was a bouncer who'd just come from a prestige gig somewhere or other and was keen to know if we'd be interested in some silver plate cutlery he'd liberated from said venue, whereupon he produced a fairly sizeable collection of knives, forks and spoons from various pockets. We politely declined.

2. Doing a cocktail gig for a friend in deepest Somerset. Problem was, we were also dinner guests at the event. Upshot, after an initial burst in the lounge while waiting for the dinner to start I spent the rest of the evening wolfing down each of the various courses and scuttling back to the lounge to play another song or two before the next course arrived. The guy organising the event was also the very close friend who'd invited us to the dinner. I didn't have the heart to tell him that we musicians don't normally do this kind of thing. :/

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ubit said:

Can my mate sing? He's really good!

We had that one night at a pub gig a few years ago - turns out that their friend was Michelle McManus who was out for the night.

I detest these talent shows on telly with a passion so I was even more determined not to let her sing. Plus considering that we were a rock band bordering on punk I couldn't really imagine her singing Blitzkreig Bop

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BreadBin said:

To be fair, it's one of the better notes.

Funnily enough, I feckin love G too. Actually I most love F# for some reason.  But other than that G is just sick. In fact, unless I can play in F# I always play G and if anyone complains I just say I'm playing the Lydian/ Florian / Dorian / Mixolydian wot'ever mode.  

• Like 2

Enthusiastic punter: "Can you do something by AC/DC / Led Zep / Foo Fighters / etc?"

Us: "Yeah, no problem." Punter waves arms around and exclaims his pleasure joyfully.

Drummer, over mic: "This next one's by AC/DC / Led Zep / Foo Fighters / etc".

Band launches into whatever tune was next on the setlist anyway.

Funnily enough, I've noticed that this sort of thing tends to generate more dancers. :) 

• Haha 1

The best one I ever had was during a gig with my old jazz-fusion trio at a jazz venue in Bristol. Halfway through our set of very-obviously-jazz-associated-and-not-remotely-hard-rock-at-all instrumental tunes, a spotty oik with one too many alcopops inside him asked me if we did Iron Man by Black Sabbath. He did it again after the next tune, and again after the subsequent one. I'm sure he would have done it again if I had not invited him to sex-&-travel.

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Funnily enough, I feckin love G too. Actually I most love F# for some reason.  But other than that G is just sick. In fact, unless I can play in F# I always play G and if anyone complains I just say I'm playing the Lydian/ Florian / Dorian / Mixolydian wot'ever mode.  

I've aways loved F# as well, must trigger some sympathetic vibration in the brain.

• Like 1

Even worse than asking to sing. I had a guy asking on numerous occasions to play my bass. It became awkward and eventually I relented. I think he just wanted his five minutes  but it was pretty meh

11 minutes ago, ubit said:

Even worse than asking to sing. I had a guy asking on numerous occasions to play my bass. It became awkward and eventually I relented. I think he just wanted his five minutes  but it was pretty meh

...look on the bright side. You‘d have been gutted if he‘d then ripped it up though, wouldn’t you?

• Haha 2

In our old punk covers band we often got asked to play Kings of Leon. Singer just used to tell whoever asked to eff off. He’s one of those cheeky types that can somehow manage to do that and the other person still likes him. Takes talent, that.

• Like 1

One gig some smart derrière came upto to me ,oi mate do you  know any cliff Richard ,so we did the young ones,,followed by Lionel Richie all night long with a salsa vibe ,the look on his face was priceless 😁😂

Edited by kevvo66

We were playing a typical pub covers set and there was hen night in. They kept hassling us to let their mate sing - "She's really good!" Eventually we relented and asked what did she think she could sing? 

She looked down at our setlist taped to the monitor. Pointed to Lady Marmalade. "I could do that."

We exchanged looks and started the song....

And she was ace. Yes, really. She belted out the lead with a great soul voice and also fitted in to the harmonies with our singer. Turned out she sang that song in her own band.

It meant the hen-nighters ended up our best friends and the whole evening was a hoot.

It's never happened like that again...

Cheers, 

Graham

• Like 5