Why become a member? ×

Whats the most ridiculous thing you have been asked for on stage?

ubit

I have not played live for a couple of years now, but recently I was talking to another musician and we were laughing at some of the ridiculous things we used to get asked for by punters.

Can you play such and such? We don't know it mate. Yeah, you do, it goes la ,la , de dah dah etc.

Can you play such and such? We don't play that. Yeah, you do, I saw you play it in here last week. We were not playing in here last week. yes, you were and so on.

any more humorous, but annoying titbits from you lot?

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, been through all that, quite a lot.

one pub gig we did a bloke came up to us and asked

‘can you play soemthing by the stones?’

We just did Brown sugar

‘oh, i was outside talking ot my mate, can you play it again’

Later, maybe

‘I’m  going in about 10mins, can you do it now?’

No

‘Fair enough, i can stand that song anyway....’

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

We played at a birthday party once. Our set was mostly rock and middle of the road, with a few Scottish trad songs thrown in. The guy was delighted and asked us to play at his wedding a few months later. We started playing our tried and tested set and this guy came up and said, no, we want more traditional. Can you play that? Look, mate, we will play some later, ok? Next tune. Can you play some trad.? And so it went on after every song. A real pain in the derrière. We just didn't have enough traditional material. Eventually, we had to complain to the groom, who all this time was whizzed and totally oblivious to this scenario unfolding. he had a word and we played the rest of our set to a near empty dancefloor. The party crowd was obviously a completely different crowd to the one at the wedding. Horrible evening!

11 minutes ago, FuNkShUi said:

We were asked for a Ronan Keating song.
"you know the one about money being too tight to mention"
WTF on so many levels 

Yup!

Edited by ubit

10 minutes ago, ubit said:

Can my mate sing? He's really good!

I think we've all had that one, never ends well.

A gig we play regularly this old dear (and I do mean old) always asks for Sex on Fire which we won't do, fortunately she never turns up till half way through the first half so we tell her she's just missed it, it's got to be a standing joke

Gig some years ago with a space-rock techno band, man approaches me from the crowd gurning like a bastid, huge grin on his face, brain quite obviously in a very happy place.

"Oh Man.....what note are you playing right now ?" he bellows at me from a few feet away.

"G"

"I FECKIN' LOVE G !!!!" he screams

/Dances off into the crowd/

Priceless :)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 3
  • Haha 17

A space rock techno band? Id love to see that!

Had that many times. me playing bass and singing and someone comes up and starts talking to me. I'm like desperately trying to tell them with only my eyes, to do one and they are holding down a conversation!

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think we've all had that one, never ends well.

A gig we play regularly this old dear (and I do mean old) always asks for Sex on Fire which we won't do, fortunately she never turns up till half way through the first half so we tell her she's just missed it, it's got to be a standing joke

A group of girls ask can you play such and such? 'Cos we are just going.                                                                                                                                                                            How to endear yourself to the band !

Edited by ubit

British legion Club, 1990’s.

Gig on the Sat night before Remembrance Sunday.

Band in full flow.

Committee Chairman comes on stage shouting:  “Turn it off” !!

Me (in the middle of singing harmony part):  “What” ??

Committee Chairman:   (purple face like thunder) “Turn the music off !!  All of it!  Now!!”

I indicate to the band to stop playing, the drummer the last to catch on, as you might expect.

Committee Chairman:  “You’ve broken the Remembrance Day Plate, the one we put the Ashes on, on Remembrance Sunday”

Turns out that in the bands break, the drummer had gone into the dressing room and tried to switch on an electric cooker in there, to warm the place up a bit. But he’d only succeeded in switching on a high level grill which he’d unknowingly  left on full blast and this had eventually shattered a large ceramic platter which had been sitting directly on top of the cooker.

Realising we’d made some dreadful faux pas relating to the Remembrance Sunday Service memorial proceedings we were full of the most humble apologies .

It was only later when talking to another Committee member  I realised the Chairman had actually been shouting “the one we put the sandwiches on, on Remembrance Sunday”

I wished my apologies had been a little less profuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

At a pub we only played once, there was a guy who was clearly pharmaceutically enhanced.  Spent the whole time either shadow boxing to himself in the corner or pretending to have sex with the bubblegum machine.  Runs up to us at half time to insist he gets to spend the interval singing into the microphone and gives us a little demonstration while offering us £20 if we'd let him.

• Haha 3

Played at an agricultural college event in the late 90’s , me and my guitarist mate backing a singer doing Simply Red stuff ( I know, but I needed the money, OK?!! ). Crowd was mainly aged16 to 20, all a bit pis*sed on cider so you can imagine how well we’re doing. Me and the guitarist not too bothered as we’d taken advantage of the cheap bar so a bit tired and emotional etc. This young lad steps up and asks the singer very politely if he can just use the mic to give a shout out to his mate as it’s his birthday. Singer duly obliges, so the young lad grabs the mic and shouts “ Feck off, you’re a stinky poo band” and runs back into the crowd! Me and guitarist collapse with laughter as the singer storms off, trying to identify the culprit to the college official. We got paid anyway. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, casapete said:

Feck off, you’re a stinky poo band”

I love the new sweary word filters. It used to be just.   ******, but now its substituted with little kid alternatives. I love it! Well done admins!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubit said:

A space rock techno band? Id love to see that!

Had that many times. me playing bass and singing and someone comes up and starts talking to me. I'm like desperately trying to tell them with only my eyes, to do one and they are holding down a conversation!

Two Hawkwind-mad guitarists, an absolute techno demon on laptop and me with the largest pedalboard I've ever had...Yeah, it was pretty darn awesome :D

There are further stories of chemcially-altered crowd antics, but I'll save them for another time.

Mind you, Mrs. Pook tried to have a conversation onstage with me during at gig with the same band, bless her. She'd been, um....partaking rather heavily that evening and was very insistent that we have a chat.

"But I'm onstage..."

"I know but....."

"Love, c'mon....kinda busy.....hey, you couldn't grab me a beer could you ?"

"Yeah, sure....back in a miniute..." Busies off, happy to have a mission.

She got lost in the crowd chatting to people and I caught up with her after the gig. :D

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1