Why become a member? ×

Whats the most ridiculous thing you have been asked for on stage?

ubit

53 minutes ago, SICbass said:

I’m my experience, sound-guys often have really attractive girlfriends. My theory was always that they are connected to the band/the event that is taking place but are out amongst the punters (as opposed to being stuck on-stage) whilst it’s all going on, thus affording them “first dibs”, so to speak.

Not to mention they really know what they're doing with their knobs. 

• Haha 4

• 1 year later...

We were playing in a bar one Hogmanay. We did our set and said goodnight and one of the bouncers came over and said the owner wants you to play another half hour, he will pay you, so we somehow managed to come up with a  set that would last another half hour or so. At the end of the night we got an extra five quid each!

• Sad 1

Before I joined, thankfully, the band was asked to play the "anthem" at the end of the gig, so the keyboard player started God Save The Queen. About 2 bars in the manager rushed on stage shouting, "Not that Fecking anthem!" The whole place stood up and sang the Irish National Anthem! This was in the 70's and the gig was in an Irish club in Willesden!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Before I joined, thankfully, the band was asked to play the "anthem" at the end of the gig, so the keyboard player started God Save The Queen. About 2 bars in the manager rushed on stage shouting, "Not that Fecking anthem!" The whole place stood up and sang the Irish National Anthem! This was in the 70's and the gig was in an Irish club in Willesden!

And you lived to tell the tale.

• Like 1

For a cover band, we were loud. I had to buy an 800 watt amp because the 500 watt amp was running out of steam. So we'd been asked to turn down many times, but once we were asked to turn up! The drummer was visibly wilting by the end of the first set, when we were asked to turn up even more! I was right at the limit of my earplugs by the end of the night.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

At one gig we were asked to do something Irish. So in the break we went out and dug up the car park.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, ubit said:

We were playing in a bar one Hogmanay. We did our set and said goodnight and one of the bouncers came over and said the owner wants you to play another half hour, he will pay you, so we somehow managed to come up with a  set that would last another half hour or so. At the end of the night we got an extra five quid each!

We did a gig, it was short for us, just under 2 hours. We finished it and the landlord who was pretty drunk said if we did another half an hour we would get another £50, so we did it. When we did that, he came over and said if we did another half an hour we could have another £50 so we did that. Then he came over and said if we did another half an hour we could have another £100. But we were pretty knackered, as it was blisteringly hot, so we made do with the extra £25 each!

My mate's girlfriend's mum asked me if I'd like to 'do her in the shower' at one gig about 25 years ago. I said 'no thanks'. I was about 24 and she looked like Olive from On The Buses.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

At our last Xmas gig someone shouted out to play some AC/DC. 

We are a 70's Glam Rock covers band with full Glam gear incl wigs, big boots and sparkly jackets. All our gigs are clearly advertised as such and many actually turn up dressed in 70's Glam gear.

There's always one.

At our last gig before Covid-19 we were asked to play a 2nd encore. Not bad for a wee support slot. :lol:

Dave

• Like 1

Wedding. Bride is stoned. Shouts us: play a Polaroid!

Teachers are having a party. In between sets I ask a familiar looking lady if she is my old schoolmate Sarah: "I'm Hannah, but I can be Sarah, if you wish so!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 18/01/2019 at 08:40, ubit said:

Can my mate sing? He's really good!

I remember one Christmas night we were playing in a bar. I had the worst stinking cold. I had a boil on my nose the size of a marble and I felt terrible.Really run down. I said to my mate, the guitarist, I can't do this gig, Im gonna have to pull out.  Oh, you'll be fine, just carry on, you can do eet. Reluctantly I did the gig but found singing an absolute agony. I struggled to reach any notes and my throat was giving me a hell of a trouble. This girl asked can I sing? YES! I said please do, thankful for a chance to rest my throat. She came up and I gave her our lyric book. She didn't know anything and wasn't able to even busk what we were doing. Just useless. She got kicked off and I had to struggle on. I never forgave my mate and vowed to never gig when sick again.

13 hours ago, odysseus said:

My mate's girlfriend's mum asked me if I'd like to 'do her in the shower' at one gig about 25 years ago. I said 'no thanks'. I was about 24 and she looked like Olive from On The Buses.

Ive had that too. It was always the plug ugly ones that had the confidence to come right up and say it. You are trying to be diplomatic but thinking beam me up Scotty!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Ive had that too. It was always the plug ugly ones that had the confidence to come right up and say it. You are trying to be diplomatic but thinking beam me up Scotty!

Oh to be given the chance to be so choosy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ubit said:

When i was younger i was never that fussy. :laugh1:

• Haha 1

On 18/01/2019 at 09:16, paul_c2 said:

Arctic Monkeys did Girls Aloud's "Love Machine"

I do like The Artic Monkeys but can't help picturing George Formby singing with them, when I hear them.

Edited by gjones
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ubit said:

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

When i was younger i was never that fussy. :laugh1:

:o Did you approach many musicians or just bass players?  :biggrin:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, odysseus said:

I was fussy when I was younger. These days... well.... beggars can't be choosers right? 🤪 

When i say i wasn't fussy they were all gorgeous after a few beers. Not so much in morning tho :laugh1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1