Why become a member? ×

Whats the most ridiculous thing you have been asked for on stage?

ubit

2 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Really? Gigging is the best bit of being a musician surely. That's what made me take up bass in the first place. 

I don’t get on with pub gigs which I’ve been doing for 12 yrs , previous to that I was playing proper venues, theatres etc with paying punters which was great but I also hate travelling

• Haha 1

My old rock covers duo (bass/vocals, guitar/vocals, pre-recorded backing. F-off big PA) got a booking in a dodgy, out-of the-way little pub we'd never been to before. Small but decent crowd, went OK.

During the 20-minute break between sets the two shadiest looking  punters in the room came over and started chatting - and ended up offering to sell us the gear they'd robbed from the last band that played there!

Needless to say, afterwards we packed the van in shifts, and never went back there again.

Our classic rock covers band played a pub in town. I suppose the name "Molly O'Grady's" should have been a clue. The landlady insisted we played Irish music, in a rather threatening manner and indicating towards the hefty bouncers, and also threatening to not pay us. We did Whisky in the Jar and winged our way through a couple of other songs the singer/guitarist vaguely knew. We got the money, got the hell out of there and never went back - despite the landlady ringing a few times to try to re-book us. Not a pleasant night at all!

We're a bunch of 50-something guys playing to a pub rammed with 20-somethings.

Girl comes up to me and says, "Can you play something by Keith Moon?"

Says I, "By Keith Moon?"

"Yes", she says, "he was the lead drummer in a band called Who".

We have always described our sticksman as the lead drummer ever since.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, ubit said:

Even worse than asking to sing. I had a guy asking on numerous occasions to play my bass. It became awkward and eventually I relented. I think he just wanted his five minutes  but it was pretty meh

I sometimes capitulate if they're becoming awkward. At the moment I do they always turn to their mate that's egged them on for a thumbs-up, which is a great time to knock a couple of strings out of tune. That weeds 'em out! Anyone with enough sense to step on the tuner and tweak them back in can play as much as they like. (I'm keeping the money, though!)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Really? Gigging is the best bit of being a musician surely. That's what made me take up bass in the first place. 

I dread the idea of gigging. People staring at you while you do your things 😱

19 hours ago, rogerstodge said:

I don’t get on with pub gigs which I’ve been doing for 12 yrs , previous to that I was playing proper venues, theatres etc with paying punters which was great but I also hate travelling

Gigging in a decent venue is great, though it's not something I got to do often.
College bar gigs with students* vomiting and passing out, or demanding to play the band's instruments if they are paying attention to the music at all, are certainly something I don't miss.

* On one occasion it was instead a barely conscious lecturer sprawled on the floor in front of the band.

1 hour ago, oZZma said:

I dread the idea of gigging. People staring at you while you do your things 😱

I got round this by turning my back on the audience. I have no idea how this went down because [revisit first sentence]

5 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

I got round this by turning my back on the audience. I have no idea how this went down because [revisit first sentence]

I'll get round this by never finishing my songs, or having less than 30 minutes of material so we'll never play live 😂

Edited by oZZma

21 hours ago, steantval said:

Playing a gig several years ago in a Free tribute band, midway through the set, the venue owner comes up to us and asks if we do any Phil Collins.

I once saw a Coldplay tribute band (not intentionally) and the best reaction they got was when they came back for an encore, and did 'I believe in a thing called love' by The Darkness. 

True story. 

Weirdest request we ever had (local football club do, back in the UK) was when our drummer was approached, mid-song, from the side and asked if we could do "We are the champions"  our drummer issued our usual response in order to get rid of the pest. 

"Ahh, sorry mate, can't, I know it, but the others don't"

"Oh right.  Well, okay, can you do it on your own then"

?????

11 hours ago, Norris said:

Our classic rock covers band played a pub in town. I suppose the name "Molly O'Grady's" should have been a clue. The landlady insisted we played Irish music, in a rather threatening manner and indicating towards the hefty bouncers, and also threatening to not pay us. We did Whisky in the Jar and winged our way through a couple of other songs the singer/guitarist vaguely knew. We got the money, got the hell out of there and never went back - despite the landlady ringing a few times to try to re-book us. Not a pleasant night at all!

Another Irish themed one.. kind of.

I’ve played in O’Neil’s in Glasgow several times - being part of a bag chain, it’s really just a large pub with an Irish theme rather than a ‘proper’ Irish bar. However, on a Saturday night in Glasgow it does tend to bring out the worst in a few folk who like to think of themselves as Irish after a few shandies. Several times we’ve been asked to play ‘rebel’ songs - which would really fit in our set of classic rock covers! Once we had a guy literally screaming “play f-ing catholic songs - this is O’Neil’s”, getting progressively more agressive. Thankfully he was eventually removed by security!