Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Variax Bass -strings

Sonsinido

7 hours ago, Sonsinido said:

Hi

Newbie to the forum here so apologies if this has been asked before.
I've just purchased a Line 6 Variax bass and was wondering if anyone has tried using flatwound strings on one and if so what effect did it have on the sounds, if any?
TIA

This being a 'modelling' bass, I'm not sure that the strings themselves affect the sound so much as the modelling that follows. Here's the list of models; the 'flat-wound' notion has already been built into many of them...

slb3upO.jpg

The 'feel' of the bass would change but, to paraphrase the song: 'the sound remains the same', to a great extent, I'd say.
Disclaimer: I've not played a Variax, but I (think I...) understand the technology.
Hope this helps.

In theory it should have a similar effect to how flats change the sound of a bass with magnetic pickups. So I should think more thump, less sustain, it'll sound like you're playing elastic bands over a bog roll core. 

• Haha 1

Different strings do make a difference to the Variax. I'd wondered the same and whether the electronics would override the strings and make them all sound similar but it doesn't. 

I use D'Addario half rounds on mine as they're my fave string. 

I've got a second one I was going to defret to see how that works with the synth and upright bass settings, I just haven't got around to it yet.