Why become a member? ×

I went for an audition ,but got a mental block

kevvo66

Sounds like it wasn't the right band for you. The drop D stuff should have been discussed prior to the audition.

Me, If I don't completely own the audition material, I'll cancel 

BTW, none of this " heres our set list, pick 4 songs to audition"

No way would I comply with that. You pick 4 songs and you find out too late they're songs they  no longer play and don't even know anymore.

I say, you tell me what songs you want me to audition. 

Blue

Kev, I've been playing for about a hundred and twenty years, recently decided to get lessons so I might learn some theory.

I've played countless genres, been in signed originals, bog standard pub bands, functions and tributes, I have gained a reasonable idea of how to navigate a fretboard. 

So I sit down with my relaxed, friendly, fresh faced young tutor and he asks me to run a couple of tunes so he can get an idea of where I'm at. 

Not only am I unable to bring to mind more than one recognisable song but the rendition I produced was so appalling he must have thought I'd found the bass on the pavement outside having never seen one before.

We never know when performance anxiety will strike but learning to overcome it is such a useful tool. If you can go back I would. The confidence you will gain will be invaluable. Also personality is so important in a band and they obviously liked yours.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2019 at 10:08, aDx said:

Our first number and first gig this year.... i suddenly got nervous and completely mucked up alright now!!  ( i have played it for years!)

We used to play Losing My Religion. Years and years we played it. Then one time I had a complete mental block. Couldn't remember it. Next gig, after telling everyone that it had been a one-off, the same thing happened. Then the next time, until I had to realise that I had completely forgotten it. I had to re-learn it. Strangest thing. It became that I was so worried that I would forget it, that I did.

17 hours ago, ubit said:

We used to play Losing My Religion. Years and years we played it. Then one time I had a complete mental block. Couldn't remember it. Next gig, after telling everyone that it had been a one-off, the same thing happened. Then the next time, until I had to realise that I had completely forgotten it. I had to re-learn it. Strangest thing. It became that I was so worried that I would forget it, that I did.

Ah, that can sometimes happen with something as simple as a PIN. After spending years typing it in purely using muscle memory, you can make the mistake of one day trying to explicitly remember the numbers that comprise it, and then by overthinking it, the next time you need to use it, the muscle memory will fail you.

S.P.

• Like 1

Worst time this happened to me on stage was in the Wedgewood Rooms. A big crowd, all going welI, I swagger to the front to play the intro to Rudy, A Message To You. 

We'd played it for years and years and suddenly I could not bring one note of it to mind. Not only couldn't I play it, I couldn't even remember how it went. 

That moment of blind, bowel loosening terror has remained with me ever since. To this day I get a shiver of dread when I have to start a song. It's a viscous circle. The more I worry about it the more likely it is to happen.

So I'm learning to read music. A glance at the opening bars of any song I start sets me on the right path.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Not only couldn't I play it, I couldn't even remember how it went.

This! I found that I knew the notes, but had completely forgotten the melody or swing of the song. Even worse, as I sing, I've had to resort to making up lyrics. Singing Esperanto to the baying masses!

• Like 1