Why become a member? ×

Dingwall DBird 5

Woodinblack

Dingwall now have a DBird 5, so now I am a bit interested!

https://www.dingwallguitars.com/d-bird

dbird-5-3x-matte-mettallic-gold-wenge-we

I think it might be time to give the dingwall another try, or at least fine one where I can play it.

Prefer the white over the others, but the gold is probably the only gold bass i haven't hated

Anyone tried the original DBird, the 4?

• Like 4

I'm not normally bothered by aesthetics, but the fact that no two angles (and there's lots of them!) seem to correspond to each other in any kind of order makes it all look a bit.... Random.

I know that the frets are fanned according to a formula and the bridge saddles are correctly placed with the pickups properly angled, but they don't visually correlate to each other or any of the angles in the body shape.

2 hours ago, totorbass said:

I think I'd like it better with their usual headstock shape. This looks like a very small headed bird.

I think it’s because it would be too long to fit it in a case otherwise. 

2 hours ago, visog said:

Probably for balance... 

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

dbird-5-3x-matte-mettallic-gold-wenge-we

I'd have prefered  these kind of proportions (it is shorter too). About balance,  the body might be thicker if a little smaller. As it is, it reminds me too much this ugly little Gibson studio's headstock.

190118095408783790.png

Edited by totorbass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic and I apologise, but has Dingwall ever done a non fan fretted bass? I had 2 Dingwalls (ABZ6 and AB16) and I always thought I'd have loved them if they had been conventionally fretted. 

Back on topic, this looks lovely but still not a Thunderbird fan....... Sorry.

1 hour ago, mattbass6 said:

Slightly off topic and I apologise, but has Dingwall ever done a non fan fretted bass? I had 2 Dingwalls (ABZ6 and AB16) and I always thought I'd have loved them if they had been conventionally fretted.

Sheldon committed to fanned frets a long time ago as it fits his vision of what his basses should be and there are plenty of parallel fret options. 

• Like 1