Why become a member? ×

Can I learn to stretch further?

thebrig

Can I learn to stretch further than it seems physically possible for me to stretch my fingers?

The reason I ask is because I'm forming a Dr Feelgood tribute band and the singer wants the bass lines played as close as possible to Sparko's bass lines to help us achieve the authentic Feelgood sound, I have no problem with 95% of the 40+ songs in the set, but on a few of them, Sparko plays sort of blues shuffles much like Quo and Chuck Berry played, it's no problem for me on a guitar, but the wider fret spacing on a 34" scale bass makes it impossible for me to stretch far enough, a lot of the shapes are played on 10th fret of the 3rd string and alternating between the 12th and 14th on the 2nd string at the same time and obviously going round the 12 bar sequence on the 1st and second strings as well.

I can just about do it while sitting down with the bass on my lap and almost touching my chin, but I just can't do it on a strap standing up, I genuinely think that it is physically impossible for me because I have tried pulling my pinky to the furthest fret but it just won't stretch that far.

So is it possible with persistent practise to eventually manage it, and if so, how would you advise me to achieve it?

Sorry about my terminology, I can play, but I've never had any musical training.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about.

The only 'best' way that counts is however you're most comfortable - if you prefer to move your hand around, do that. If you prefer open strings, use them. You can't rush stretch if that's the sole priority, but it comes in the end (all sneaky-like so you never notice anyway!)

Just keep telling the singer 'it's how he does it, honest!' We all know nobody will really hear what fret you use, besides if you get the guitarist do go 'full Wilko' nobody will even see you!

Hmmmm, "how do you play something that someone else with bigger hands played?" (could apply to piano too). "With difficulty" is the first instinct; I think you'd need to adapt the way its played to your own capabilities. I wouldn't recommend stretching more and more and more just to try and play it the same way.

You can learn to stretch further, the difference in spread from tip of thumb to tip of little finger in my fretting hand compared to my other hand is about an inch and a half, possibly two inches. But that’s taken place over years of playing and practicing using my little finger to fret notes, it’s nit happened overnight.

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I'm confused...you don't need to stretch, you need to pivot off your thumb...or am I missing something??? 😕😕

My index finger is planted on the 10th fret (3rd string) and my ring finger is planted on the 12th fret (2nd string) whilst my pinky is stretching to the 14th fret (2nd string), I don't see how else it can be done 🤔

1 hour ago, phil.c60 said:

Just play it however you can that sounds right. Any issues, ask your guitarist if he's going to get his hair cut just like Wilko's in the video.......

Played these songs in a previous band in a simplified way and they sounded great, and certainly gave the songs a bit more energy imo, I will play them at rehearsal with my back to the singer to see if he notices 😉

Edited by thebrig

49 minutes ago, thebrig said:

My index finger is planted on the 10th fret (3rd string) and my ring finger is planted on the 12th fret (2nd string) whilst my pinky is stretching to the 14th fret (2nd string), I don't see how else it can be done 🤔

little finger on the 15th fret of the 4th string, and the index alternating between the 12th and 14th of the 2nd string. That is fairly comfortable and 1 fret shorter!

6 hours ago, thebrig said:

Can I learn to stretch further than it seems physically possible for me to stretch my fingers?

I genuinely think that it is physically impossible for me because I have tried pulling my pinky to the furthest fret but it just won't stretch that far.

I understand the "tribute" thing and the need to get close to the original, but hurting your self to play exactly like another player is just silly and isn't required. Get as close as you can to the sound and feel but change the lines you can't play to ones you can. An audience isn't going to give a damn what frets you're playing on and how many notes you can play at once. If Sparks played those songs now would he play them exactly the same way? I don't believe he would. He'd probably change them, so you can to. 

Whose band is it? Ask this singer if he's going to have a fag on all the time like Lee Brilleaux. See, even in the best tribute bands some things are not the same as the original.

11 hours ago, chris_b said:

I understand the "tribute" thing and the need to get close to the original, but hurting your self to play exactly like another player is just silly and isn't required. Get as close as you can to the sound and feel but change the lines you can't play to ones you can. An audience isn't going to give a damn what frets you're playing on and how many notes you can play at once. If Sparks played those songs now would he play them exactly the same way? I don't believe he would. He'd probably change them, so you can to. 

Whose band is it? Ask this singer if he's going to have a fag on all the time like Lee Brilleaux. See, even in the best tribute bands some things are not the same as the original.

I agree with everything you say here, as I have previously mentioned, I've played them before just like almost every other bassist in a cover band has played them (the easier way), and they've sounded fine.

And I love the point you make about asking the singer to have a fag on, I will put that to him 😉

• Like 1

Apparently Sparko developed rheumatism in his hands in 1997 which meant he could no longer play, so I think my mind is made up, I will do it my way because I already suffer from a bit of arthritis in my fingers and I certainly don't want to aggravate it 😮

8 hours ago, thebrig said:

Apparently Sparko developed rheumatism in his hands in 1997 which meant he could no longer play, so I think my mind is made up, I will do it my way because I already suffer from a bit of arthritis in my fingers and I certainly don't want to aggravate it 😮

Wise move. We have the physical attributes we have and, whilst we may be able to develop on them a little, we can't change them substantially. You will never make your fingers grow. If you have smaller hands, a short scale instrument is the logical way to go. No point in aggravating things.

On 17/01/2019 at 21:40, thebrig said:

If you want to give it another go, then your hand might find it easier if you use your middle finger on the 12th fret instead of your 3rd - most people can get quite a lot of stretch between 1st and 2nd fingers without discomfort. Other than that, shorten your strap so the bass is almost the same height whether you're sitting or standing.

On 17/01/2019 at 21:40, thebrig said:

Take the G on the A string with your 2nd finger, 4th finger for the D at the 12th fret on the D string, then the E is under your 1st finger on the G string. More string crossing, but less stretching. You have to choose. Whats important is to be fluid and rhythmically good, not which string you play.

@thebrig - I may have misunderstood what you've tried so far but have you attempted playing this like a guitar barre chord?  That's to say,  with the index finger laid across the G D and A strings at the tenth, the ring finger holding down the D at the twelfth and hammering on with the pinky.

I've got freakishly short fingers and using a barre was the only way I could play these Sparko shuffle parts. Forming the interval by placing individual fingers on individual strings was too hard for me and a barre gave me the extra little bit of stretch I needed.

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

@thebrig - I may have misunderstood what you've tried so far but have you attempted playing this like a guitar barre chord?  That's to say,  with the index finger laid across the G D and A strings at the tenth, the ring finger holding down the D at the twelfth and hammering on with the pinky.

I've got freakishly short fingers and using a barre was the only way I could play these Sparko shuffle parts. Forming the interval by placing individual fingers on individual strings was too hard for me and a barre gave me the extra little bit of stretch I needed.

Yes I have tried that but its still too difficult and painful, unfortunately, I have a very short pinky.

Here's a photo of a hand similar to mine

Hand.jpg

53 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Yes I have tried that but its still too difficult and painful, unfortunately, I have a very short pinky.

I can see how that would be a problem. That pic looks like my hand but my pinky ends just level with the ring finger joint in the pic. I s'pose it's the extra couple of mill that makes the difference (Bishop > Actress, etc).

If the frontman persists in his demands, refer him to this page and we'll explain things in suitably robust terms. Good luck with the project, chum! :)