Why become a member? ×

Two Great Filters!

Al Krow

Just got a Fwonkbeta today and have had a bit of time to A/B it against the excellent MXR BEF.

Initial impression of the Fwonkbeta is that it's very good!

It's got a broader range of sounds than I can get from my MXR BEF. I guess that's entirely down to it being LPF (Fwonk) rather than BPF (MXR BEF)

I've managed pretty quickly to find something on the Fwonk (clip 2) that gets to 95% of my fav BEF setting (clip 1) See first pic for dial settings. (Hmmm...or am I already thinking that the MXR can get to 95% one of my favourite settings on the Fwonk?! :))

Interestingly the Fwonk is less reactive to a gated fuzz (clip 4) than the BEF is (clip 3)**

But the Fwonk goes MUCH more subby than the MXR, if you dial the "Juice" down. Kinda feels like it has a touch of DOD Meatbox and you can see my Keeley Bassist Limiter lighting up when I've done so (and that's after benefiting from a Thumpinator at the start of my chain),

Clip 5 is MXR (same setting) with an OC10

Clip 6 is the Fwonk with Juice dialled down (second pic for setting) paired with an OC10

PB - Filter settings I.jpg

PB- Filter settings II.jpg

Filter 1 - MXR BEF.mp3

Filter 2- Fwonk.mp3

Filter 3- MXR & Mastotron.mp3

Filter 4- Fwonk & Mastotron.mp3

Filter 5 - MXR & OC10.mp3

Filter 6 - Fwonk II & OC10.mp3

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1