Why become a member? ×

I have an artist endorsement deal

police squad

Following a chance meeting with Larry Hartke in New York, I had one with Hartke (I think it's probably still active).

It was a somewhat lovely thing to behold; you just have visions of vans full of gear arriving, but in truth I only had three HyDrive cabinets off them, along with a replacement 10" speaker, as there was little necessity to keep swapping my backline out with fresh cabinets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

That is cool bananas, presumably this means Vintage basses, which imo are real hidden gems in the bass world.

actually my first is a 335 a like. The VSA500CR because I'm in a Paul Weller tribute (playing Steve's parts)

I already have a Vintage Geoff Whitehorn signature guitar, which I've had over 10 years now.

Extreme bang for buck and I'm done with buying expensive guitars, if I don't have to.

I'll probably get a vintage bass or two aswell

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Following a chance meeting with Larry Hartke in New York, I had one with Hartke (I think it's probably still active).

It was a somewhat lovely thing to behold; you just have visions of vans full of gear arriving, but in truth I only had three HyDrive cabinets off them, along with a replacement 10" speaker, as there was little necessity to keep swapping my backline out with fresh cabinets.

Used Hartke for many years. It was always very good. I still have one of the later HA3500 with the silver front. It sits in my practice room, unused these days as I've just put my old ampeg in there, since switching to Ashdown

59 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Ha - I had similar! Went into Sam Ash, struck up on a conversation... played some bass that appeared to really float his boat... and low and behold, talk about the gigs I was doing and onto endorsement talk.

To be honest though, I didn't really dig the setup as much as the rig I was using so it would have been a complete enwhoresement... which is dead against my ethics.

EDIT: Larry was (and I am sure still is) a top bloke to talk to. He seemed generally interested in me, what I was up to and the like... I'm sure I've got the obligatory pic with him somewhere on my computer. (With the Jack Bruce Warwick that had just been played at some Cream reunion or something... funnily, the one he let me play to test out the rigs...)

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

yeah, from mates who have deals it seems highly variable.  In the band I depped with at Christmas, the rhythm guitarist and the last but one bass player got deals with ESP/LTD, right at the point they were trying to sign everybody in extreme metal (it was noticeable just how many on stage at Bloodstock were playing ESPs that year) and got a few free guitars (good ones too) but in exchange they had to sell their souls sign a contract that they wouldn't play anything else. 

The lead guitarist, who had been playing Jacksons, didn't like the ESPs that he tried and didn't want to commit to one company, so instead asked management to get him an endorsement with Jackson.  So far he's had a free t-shirt, his photo is in a Jackson catalogue, and if he ever wants a new guitar they'll sell him one at half the list price, but he's happy with the ones he's already got so he has no intention of doing that.  Not really worth his bother...though his ego does like being a Jackson endorsee...

Another lead guitarist mate who's in a much higher profile band has deals with Ibanez and Mesa Boogie.  For Boogie it's mates rates (but he does use that to save money on his purchases) and for Ibanez it's a bit more about getting guitars from their custom shop, which they only offer to their endorsed artists, not to the public

Edited by Monkey Steve

45 minutes ago, police squad said:

actually my first is a 335 a like. The VSA500CR because I'm in a Paul Weller tribute (playing Steve's parts)

I already have a Vintage Geoff Whitehorn signature guitar, which I've had over 10 years now.

Extreme bang for buck and I'm done with buying expensive guitars, if I don't have to.

I'll probably get a vintage bass or two aswell

Def worth it, if I had any sense I’d sell off my estate of US Precisions and just play the Vintage Tony Butler V4s, feel virtually the same to play, and at a fifth of the price. Seriously good basses, not just for the money either.

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Def worth it, if I had any sense I’d sell off my estate of US Precisions and just play the Vintage Tony Butler V4s, feel virtually the same to play, and at a fifth of the price. Seriously good basses, not just for the money either.

I got my brother a V4 when they first came out and was really impressed with it