Why become a member? ×

I have an artist endorsement deal

police squad

3 hours ago, police squad said:

actually my first is a 335 a like. The VSA500CR because I'm in a Paul Weller tribute (playing Steve's parts)

I already have a Vintage Geoff Whitehorn signature guitar, which I've had over 10 years now.

Extreme bang for buck and I'm done with buying expensive guitars, if I don't have to.

I'll probably get a vintage bass or two aswell

Excellent, congratulations on the endorsement. I have a Vintage V300, gotta be the best value acoustic ever even at the full list price.

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Ha - I had similar! Went into Sam Ash, struck up on a conversation... played some bass that appeared to really float his boat... and low and behold, talk about the gigs I was doing and onto endorsement talk.

To be honest though, I didn't really dig the setup as much as the rig I was using so it would have been a complete enwhoresement... which is dead against my ethics.

EDIT: Larry was (and I am sure still is) a top bloke to talk to. He seemed generally interested in me, what I was up to and the like... I'm sure I've got the obligatory pic with him somewhere on my computer. (With the Jack Bruce Warwick that had just been played at some Cream reunion or something... funnily, the one he let me play to test out the rigs...)

I met him at Manny's store.  I'd just gone in for a nosey and saw this bloke who I recognised from somewhere, he was pretty prominent in the adverts in Bass Player at the time.  One of the staff asked whether I'd 'like to meet Larry' and it just clicked.

I'd concur that he was genuinely interested in what gear I was using, the band I was playing in, whether I was gigging regularly and whether I'd heard about.the Hydrive gear.  He watched some You Tube footage, listened to some studio stuff.  Honestly didn't think I was going to leave the store with anything other than strings.

Credit to him though.  He sorted out everything with Korg and about a week after we got back from New York, everything was delivered.

I just get the feeling he must bang out artist deals left, right and centre, much to the scourge of global distributors.

Superb news!! Congrats!! 

I must admit that (probably like everyone) I immediately thought of companies I'd like an endorsement from. Ironically, none of them are basses. D'addario strings. Darkglass. Vanderkley. Tech21. Maybe DR strings as well.

That's my list. Are you listening fine bass gear makers?!! 

IME manufacturers of "lower cost" items such as strings do seem to be more approachable about endorsement deals. Their main criteria is generally that your band is active gigging and recording (and releasing those recordings) and that you are prepared to "big up" the product as much as possible. 

• Thanks 1

Back in 2003 I scored an endorsement with Warwick via their old UK distributor. I guess a lot of their UK-based endorsers at the time had kinda gone below the radar, so they were looking for new blood, and the band I was in at the time were starting to make a few waves. So I scored the endorsement and promptly ordered a Streamer Jazzman for silly money (well under four figures), and, when I got it, it was... meh. Horrible huge thick neck too. 

So I told them it probably wouldn't work out, went back to playing my Sei and flogged the Streamer on eBay for £500 more than I paid for it. :D

On 18/01/2019 at 21:34, RedVee said:

Oh that's it then, I will take anything you say with a pinch of salt...........🤔

I won't tell how good the guitar is that's just arrived but

Even I'm amazed how they do it for the money. The proof will be in the pudding as the guitar will get gigged with the Weller tribute that I'm in

On 19/01/2019 at 07:12, Elfrasho said:

Just as a matter of interest, what kind or artist rate are we talking? To me, sounds a bit like a selling tool by the manufacturers... Unless of course the rates are hugely discounted. 

Still a cool accolade though! 

Usually means at production cost or nearabouts. It's not a steal or anything but it's better than RRP. Companies tend not to just give out free guitars these days; it's a lot more common to borrow some kit for a tour or festival season.

I think 'endorsement' would be a bit strong at the moment as I'm only a sessioneer with a band who have an arrangement with the manufacturers, but I've been using kit on long term loan from Eastwood, Hiwatt, and Ashdown. They've all been very generous for a low profile band and I've been really happy to be able to use their kit - got lucky with them really as we have personal relationships with various members of their teams that have developed into professional relationships. It does get weird seeing yourself pop up on Instagram or in their newsletters though!

22 hours ago, borntohang said:

Usually means at production cost or nearabouts. It's not a steal or anything but it's better than RRP. Companies tend not to just give out free guitars these days; it's a lot more common to borrow some kit for a tour or festival season.

I think 'endorsement' would be a bit strong at the moment as I'm only a sessioneer with a band who have an arrangement with the manufacturers, but I've been using kit on long term loan from Eastwood, Hiwatt, and Ashdown. They've all been very generous for a low profile band and I've been really happy to be able to use their kit - got lucky with them really as we have personal relationships with various members of their teams that have developed into professional relationships. It does get weird seeing yourself pop up on Instagram or in their newsletters though!

sounds as good as it gets really.

When I was building my range of valve guitar amps, the major companies lent me stuff for the shows. JHS were lending out HK pa equipment (until the whole lot got stolen at a service station), Gibson lent me a Les Paul, someone else let me have a left handed guitar.

PRS even lent me a Johnny Hiland guitar (Johnny was trying our stuff out with my Strat, so we ran to PRS and they gave us the JH guitar)