Why become a member? ×

Phone holder for stage use

Stylon Pilson

My drummer has a gooseneck mobile phone floor stand which he uses to record video of us when we're playing live. It works pretty well - he sets it up next to him and points it towards the front of the stage. I'd like to try something similar, but I want to avoid needing a large piece of equipment or something that takes up additional floor space. I was wondering about something that can attach to a PA stand. My thoughts are:

1. Does such a thing exist? I can certainly find plenty of items if I search for a "mic stand phone holder" but I guess that they won't be compatible with the thicker pillar of the PA stand.
  2. Is this a good idea? Will there be vibrations resulting in an unstable image, or should the PA stand be solid as a rock?

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

I record some of our gigs. i clamp a GoPro to one of our speaker stands. Works well picking us all up, although as its on my side i always look larger than the others 🙂

I did one with one of those small Joby tripods wrapped around the handle of one of our PA cabs. that worked better.

This is what i use for the PA speaker pole.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A6KJDFG/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by dave_bass5

15 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Hercules make a phone holder which attaches to a mic stand. I’ve used it quite a bit over the past couple of years and it’s very good.

Sounds good, would it be compatible with a PA stand though? Given that I'm looking to capture video, I need to get the phone reasonably far away from me, and snuggled up to my chest will probably not give the best view of the band!

S.P.

I record all our gigs with a camcorder on a small tripod. There's not many venues where I haven't found somewhere to put it - on a shelf, windowsill, behind the drummer or wherever if need be. I have a full-size tripod in the gear box too.

Having done this for a few gigs, you end up with footage of a given song from various angles which you can edit together (works best if your drummer can keep an even tempo at different gigs ;) ).

1 hour ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Sounds good, would it be compatible with a PA stand though? Given that I'm looking to capture video, I need to get the phone reasonably far away from me, and snuggled up to my chest will probably not give the best view of the band!

S.P.

From memory I’m pretty sure the clamp is sized specifically for mic stand tube diameter. The main pole on a PA stand would be far too thick for it I imagine.