Why become a member? ×

Thinking of getting Tech 21 BSDR SansAmp Bass Driver DI V2

cisco

Hi, I'm looking at getting one of these, I had the smaller version, can't remember exactly what it's called now, which I really liked except it burnt out on me.

I'm looking at under £200 preferably. I'm after a tight, punchy, gutsy sometimes JJB snarly type sound.  (aren't we all :) ) Primarily for recording at the moment.

Anyone one know of anything else out there I could be looking at, please?

Thanks.

Tech21 Para Driver V2 - has sweepable adjustable mids, so you can get a much more aggressive JJ type sound. It’s what I use and my tone is somewhere between JJ, Lemmy and Duff McKagan. They’re a bit over £200 but buying from overseas, even with shipping and import duty should be cheaper than what they retail for here. It’s the one but of kit that is essential to my sound, wouldn’t be without it.

Can i ask what the Tech 21 BSDR SansAmp Bass Driver DI V2 is? I assumed it could be the BDDI but then the reference to a smaller version threw me.

EDIT. Ok so its the BDDI. Never seen it called that before other than at GAK. I love mine, but have to agree its not quite ideal for the JJB tone, at least not on its own.

I'd suggest the VTBass, its a lot livelier. I used to love playing the intro to Peaches using that.

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Can i i ask what the Tech 21 BSDR SansAmp Bass Driver DI V2 is? I assumed it could be the BDDI but then the reference to a smaller version threw me.

EDIT. Ok so its the BDDI. Never seen it called that before other than at GAK. I love mine, but have to agree its not quite ideal for the JJB tone, at least not on its own.

I'd suggest the VTBass, its a lot livelier. I used to love playing the intro to Peaches using that.

Yeah, GAK is where I saw it. I use A GK 400 RB at the moment ( and for the last 20+ years ! ). May be changing that in the next year or two.

Thanks for the heads up on the VTBass I'll take a look.

Edited by cisco

1 hour ago, cisco said:

Yeah, GAK is where I saw it. I use A GK 400 RB at the moment ( and for the last 20+ years ! ). May be changing that in the next year or two.

Thanks for the heads up on the VTBass I'll take a look.

ive used a BDDI for years, but more as a warming thing rather than anything aggressive. The VTBass DI (i prefer this over the normal version) sounds like it will do the job for you, especially with a GK head.

Does the paradriver give the warm tubey type sounds too. I'm really after that but with the option of cranking it up occesionally to a JJ type sound. I also like that the paradriver is useful for guitar and acoustice as I intend to record with those too.

It's over budget but i'm hearing good things about the Darkglass Vintage Ultra V2. Is is worth the hike in price though, anyone?

On 17/01/2019 at 17:07, Lozz196 said:

Tech21 Para Driver V2 - has sweepable adjustable mids, so you can get a much more aggressive JJ type sound. It’s what I use and my tone is somewhere between JJ, Lemmy and Duff McKagan. They’re a bit over £200 but buying from overseas, even with shipping and import duty should be cheaper than what they retail for here. It’s the one but of kit that is essential to my sound, wouldn’t be without it.

Yes, back off the treble and mids and it`s got a nice warmth and spongeyness to the sound. I`ve just bought a second one, was delivered today so was putting it through its paces and that was one of the sounds I ended up with, nice and Ampeg-like I thought.

I`ve just managed to score another v2 of this pedal so am offloading my v1 that I had as a backup, it`s up on here for £140 inc delivery in UK should anyone be interested, seeing as I`ve extolled its virtues so much in this thread.

Edited by Lozz196