Why become a member? ×

Saturdays gig - recorded using Soundcraft UI24

doc40hz

Quite pleased with how this turned out. We had a cancellation slot at the local venue on Saturday and I think we did quite well as we hadn't played together in over a month! Ralph nailed the solo and there were some heroic fills from Scotty on the drums. 

I can't take any credit for the recording, that was all down to Graeme on the keys who also is front of house sound. It was multitracked recorded using the most amazing piece of kit  - A Soundcraft UI24.

The UI24 allows you to multitrack record to USB drive and also allows for INDIVIDUAL monitor mixes which can be mixed using your mobile phone. Just log onto the UI24 WiFi and you have access to your own mixing desk. Outstanding and game changing. 

We used my Barefaced FR800 and LF1400 PA. I brought my BB2 as a backline for the guitarist but I really didnt need to.

The out front camera is a zoom Q8 which really doesnt like red light shining at it, hence the grainy quality. 

Our band is Danger Zone and we hardly get any gigs in our town and surrounding area. It's really quite annoying :( There are not many venues and same old bands keep doing the rounds. It seems to be about who you know. Same the world over, I guess. 

Anyhow, hope some of you enjoy it and can marvel at the tech side of things! I've gone in ear overnight thanks to the UI24. It really is amazing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doc40hz said:

Quite pleased with how this turned out.

zZToY75.gif

Well done; that's bloomin' excellent..! You're right it's a great sound, well balanced, even the drums..! Are they mic'ed up or triggered..? He's tight, too, and for those with a log-felling drummer, there's an example of how to drum in the 'rock' genre without bashing away like Keith Moon. An especially superb-sounding snare drum, played very well.
One small remark, and I know that space is very limited, but I was afraid for the vocalist's head now and again as you swung around with your hefty long-scale. Swap places, maybe, so she's on the non-neck side..? Splendid Stuff, in any case; thanks for sharing. B|

42 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

zZToY75.gif

Well done; that's bloomin' excellent..! You're right it's a great sound, well balanced, even the drums..! Are they mic'ed up or triggered..? He's tight, too, and for those with a log-felling drummer, there's an example of how to drum in the 'rock' genre without bashing away like Keith Moon. An especially superb-sounding snare drum, played very well.
One small remark, and I know that space is very limited, but I was afraid for the vocalist's head now and again as you swung around with your hefty long-scale. Swap places, maybe, so she's on the non-neck side..? Splendid Stuff, in any case; thanks for sharingB|

Thank you! The drummer is a true gent of the skins. The drums are mic'ed up, close mics and an overhead. New skins were put on that night. There is an SPDSX being used to trigger some samples on some songs. He certainly is tight :) - We've been playing togehter nearly 30 years, he got his kit around the time I got my first bass and we've been in bands together ever since.  He is the most enjoyable drummer I've ever played with. He makes my job so much easier and makes me sound the best I can be. 

The Vocalist is my (elder) sister - she knows I'm a clumsy bugger and has ninja like reflexes. But, yes, might be better if I went on the other side of her, if only to put the vocalist in the middle. 

Edited by doc40hz

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Nice - some good recordings considering the proximity of you all. I'm surprised that you managed to get such a clean set of vocals without cymbal bleeding into the mics - sounds great for a desk recording.

The vocals tracks are all trimmed so any parts with non vocals are silenced. Our keyboard player, Graeme (Watt) of Seagate Studio in Dundee, is a truly excellent sound engineer. His mixes always sound good. Our drummer also does not hit the drums or cymbals particularly hard. 

Remember this is a multitrack recording, made easy by the digital desk. There are no overdubs or doubletracking though, this was the performance on the night.

Edited by doc40hz

1 hour ago, doc40hz said:

Remember this is a multitrack recording, made easy by the digital desk. There are no overdubs or doubletracking though, this was the performance on the night.

I get that - regularly record my own performances - was just surprised at the lack of cymbal bleed given the proximity!

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Might as well..... Duck!!!

Close proximity that. I was in fear for the singers noggin once or twice. Sounded great though for a live recording. 

Cheers! Yes, I think Nat will be put in the middle and me off to the side and behind next gig. Unintentionally in the frontmans spot on this one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I get that - regularly record my own performances - was just surprised at the lack of cymbal bleed given the proximity!

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious! lol, I'm not very clued up in sound engineering and forget that not everyone is as ignorant as me! The vocals mics for Nat and myself are EV 767a if thats of any use? I believe they are more directional than SM58s, though I may be wrong.

On 17/01/2019 at 13:44, doc40hz said:

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious! lol, I'm not very clued up in sound engineering and forget that not everyone is as ignorant as me! The vocals mics for Nat and myself are EV 767a if thats of any use? I believe they are more directional than SM58s, though I may be wrong.

Ah - supercardioid - quick q for you, do you have to really get your lips up to the mic grill?

EDIT: and now I want a stringray.

Edited by EBS_freak

Here's the equivalent from a Mackie DL32R with my band. Only posting it as recordings from desks came up in another discussion I was having in facebook with a friend - and found some out. Always loved having a bass workout over this tune! As you may be able to hear on this recording though, there a bit of an issue with the essess on the female vocal and a bit of bleed into the vocal mics.

Never really done much with the recordings that I do make - but I remember it saved my bacon once. We did a gig where the client stated that we didn't play for the contracted duration... so I gave them a copy of the entire performance and summed up the timings of the entire performance for them, even subtracting the times in between songs. Turns out that we gave them an extra 8 minutes 17 seconds for free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Here's the equivalent from a Mackie DL32R with my band. Only posting it as recordings from desks came up in another discussion I was having in facebook with a friend - and found some out. Always loved having a bass workout over this tune! As you may be able to hear on this recording though, there a bit of an issue with the essess on the female vocal and a bit of bleed into the vocal mics.

Never really done much with the recordings that I do make - but I remember it saved my bacon once. We did a gig where the client stated that we didn't play for the contracted duration... so I gave them a copy of the entire performance and summed up the timings of the entire performance for them, even subtracting the times in between songs. Turns out that we gave them an extra 8 minutes 17 seconds for free.

Haha! Nice one. That sounds great - the bands and vocalists are really good. Nice playing :)

3 hours ago, doc40hz said:

Haha! Nice one. That sounds great - the bands and vocalists are really good. Nice playing :)

Cheers dude, very kind of you to say. You’ve inspired me to start listening to some of my old recordings to see what I’ve got - not necessarily to do anything with, just something to listen back to for fun!

That sounded good! Everyone on the band sounds good and I love your tone but gotta give props to the drummer - he sounded so damn good and it must be a dream playing Rock with a drummer who doesn't just bash on his kit endlessly and can instead use proper dynamics to achieve amazing sounds (yes, I have traumatic experiences...).

As said before in the thread, I'd swap your place with the singer. Vocalist should always be in the middle/spotlight because it's the one most folks will be looking at. You and the guitarist on her side, drums in the back and keyboard player can go wherever the keyboard player wants to be. 🤣

Keep it up and best of luck with your gigs! Better than most cover bands I've seen around.

Edited by kyuuga

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bazzbass said:

it's good so the band can hear how they played. But who wants to hear a recording of a cover? I mean if I wanna hear those songs I'll go to the original artist.

Original bands recording their original songs makes sense, coverbands not so much imho ymmv

There are many songs in our repertoire that I'd rather listen to as our version than the original, as I prefer to hear 'em played that way (and I know the musicians :lol:...).

• Like 1

On 28/01/2019 at 14:56, bazzbass said:

it's good so the band can hear how they played. But who wants to hear a recording of a cover? I mean if I wanna hear those songs I'll go to the original artist.

Original bands recording their original songs makes sense, coverbands not so much imho ymmv

Someone who is potentially going to book the band, for one.

That was very good indeed, enjoyed it much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Someone who is potentially going to book the band, for one.

Indeed. Why are there so many salty comments about posting up covers? I got a barrage of it on Facebook today... by a bloke who’s band plays... covers.

• Confused 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 07:27, EBS_freak said:

Indeed. Why are there so many salty comments about posting up covers? I got a barrage of it on Facebook today... by a bloke who’s band plays... covers.

usually because the coverband thinks they did such a good job but it's never ever as good as the original.

58 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

usually because the coverband thinks they did such a good job but it's never ever as good as the original.

You could just scroll by...

...the titles on the video are pretty descriptive.

Edited by EBS_freak