Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Kawarthabass

Good to be part of Basschat. Some interesting and informative discussions.

I play electric bass (2019 Fender American Professional Series P-Bass with upgraded tort pickguard)  in the house band for a Country Music Club. My backup bass is a standard Gibson EB-4. I use Ernie Ball Series 3 flatwound strings on both.

My upright bass is a 1993 Eberle ply (Pirastro Perpetuals) and I play it regularly with the Davis and Grant bluegrass band. I also freelance with fiddlers and other acoustic music bands.

With the P-Bass I use a Traynor SB110 amp either on it's own or as a monitor using the line out to the PA. Depending on the venue, my Eberle goes directly to the PA using a Schatten RB1 bridge pickup through an LR Baggs ParAcoustic DI or a Radial Soundbug. I also have an ATM350 mic which I use directly into the PA.

On the upright bass, my main inspiration for more than 20 years has been Bob Moore who was part of the Nashville "A team" from the late 50's until the 1980's.

I also like to play electric bass for my own enjoyment to several instrumental recordings by the English group......The Shadows. Thanks to YouTube I have become a big fan of Alan Jones' bass playing from when he was with them. Other electric bass players who inspire me are Duck Dunn, Glenn Worf, Lee Sklar and Canada's John Dymond (Bruce Cockburn etc).

I retired from my career as a radio reporter/announcer with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in 2004 and have played bass in bands as a part-time hobby since 1998.

Central Canada Bluegrass Awards .JPG

Gibson EB-4.jpg581908757_My2019Pbass.thumb.jpg.0b144497945c72fe4542129fe53706f3.jpg

Edited by Kawarthabass
added info
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good evening, Kawarthabass, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

Thanks Dad!

I have visited this website many times as a guest and enjoyed many of the discussions. Especially the comments about the behaviour of bass soundwaves in relation to the rear porting of amps. Also the bunfight re alleged bad bass playing on videos and the love/hate over P-basses.

As you can see from my introduction, I am squarely on the side of the P-bass as a mainstay but I chose the Gibson for its superior hardware, versatile, powerful pickups and easy playing rosewood neck. I traded in a Squire Modified 4 string Jazz bass for it.

R91KekF.gif

I'm a drummer, so P, J, XYZ... :lol: I do play bass, though (and guitar, and a bit of keyboard stuff...); my main instruments are Hofner Verithins (bass and guitars...) and a splendid old Hofner Comittee guitar, amongst others. Yes, I'm old..! :$
Plenty of joyful bun fights here, in good humour for the most part, and quite a lot of jovial banter, too. Jump right in, the water's lovely..! B|