Why become a member? ×

Very small cab - options?

razze06

2 hours ago, bumnote said:

How about this. Similar to Fleabags but the C4 lites. Used at a gig last night in a pub in a 3 piece band. Very punchy and tons of volume.

image.png

Not just the volume and weight but the dimensions .. magic

14″x12.5″x13.5″

2 hours ago, bumnote said:

How about this. Similar to Fleabags but the C4 lites. Used at a gig last night in a pub in a 3 piece band. Very punchy and tons of volume.

image.png

My normal setup is that amp with a cab47. The c4 lites are significantly lighter than the cab47, but not much smaller. Love the rig though. 

18 hours ago, ljbass said:

Worth a look https://soundelirium.wordpress.com/products-db-series/

Jan’s cabs are really well thought...

Thanks for posting this link lijbass. Haven't seen these around, but it's always good to know what's out there
It seems that there are more and more options for small, lightweight bass cabs :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes, a useful thread - as many of us are seeking lighter and more portable solutions
Markbass are also doing 2 "Ninja" combos - one which outputs 250W, the other 500W
Though quite pricey, I like the look of them. As with other Markbass combos, you can use them on their own, or add an (8 ohm) extension cab

https://www.google.com/search?q=markbass+ninja+102-250+review&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB751GB751&oq=Markbass+ninja&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.7895j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Quite tempting, I must say. There's a few people reviewing them on YouTube too

Small is good but as bass players we still have to move air. Micro cabs might sound good on stage but can they reach to the back of the room?

I haven't gigged a One10 on its own yet but I have giged 2 of them and they worked well, even with a my 5 string.

I haven’t used a OneTen in a big setting but, from my experience with a Crazy 8, I have no doubt that it’ll cope. It’s just too dark with a Lifeline but a couple of days ago I put an old Underwood on. Played through the OneTen it sounded very good indeed. I’ll give it a gig before long.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2019 at 19:34, jazzyvee said:

I'm just curious as to why most DB players I see live use small speaker cabs when electric bass players generally go for bigger cabs. Is there some other aspect of physics at play that I am unaware of?

The DB strings are about 42 scale length and seem at least the same thickness as electric bass strings so I would have thought they would have a bigger impact on a speaker. I'm a beginner with a EUB  and a PJB Briefcase that I practice through which is fine at low home levels. What say you?

There are a number of issues here. The overiding one is portability. You can fit a double bass in pretty much any car, but not if there is even a medium sized bass cab in there as well.

The other very significant factor is that the bass itself is a speaker cabinet, with a pickup or mic right up against it. If you crank the volume too much everything will just start feeding and begin to sound muddy.

The final thing to point out is that generally, the larger the cabinet, the poorer the higher frequency fidelity. I might be picked up on that, but I'm quite certain of it. The DB is an acoustic instrument, so we want a good  flat frequency response up to at least 14 kHz, otherwise we may as well be playing an electric instrument, where the amp and cabinet are as much a part of the instruments tone as the bass itself.

• Like 2