Why become a member? ×

Very small cab - options?

razze06

After selling my PJB briefcase because of lack of use, it looks like I might start needing a small amp for DB/EUB again.

Since I now own a PJB D400 amp head, what options do I have for a very small cab (and I mean small)? I am mightily intrigued by the Crazy8, yet i'd like to ask the opinion of the BC hive mind before I pull the trigger.

I'm not interested in combos, just very small cabs that could go well with the D400.

2 hours ago, TPJ said:

I didn't like the one10 for DB, I found it very dark and lacking enough full range content.

Small EA cabs (10 inch), Greenboy Crazy8, even a small 10 powered PA speaker might work well depending on budget.

Yes, I think you're right about the one10 and the Super Midget is probably too big for your needs.  (Although they are full range cabs and perfect for doublers.)

The PJB cabs are a great suggestion though.

Frank.

IMO Mike Arnopol cabs look pig ugly but get excellent reviews from users on Talkbass. 

I play 5 string basses so I would feel nervous using a single One10 on a band gig. On occasion I gig with 2 One10's and they definitely go loud enough and sound very good together.

As well as the Crazy 8, there's also a Crazy 88. I believe Happy Jack has used both so the OP might want to message him.

Edited by chris_b

I have a PJB C4 which I picked up from here which I like the sound of for EUB (Knutson Messenger). That said, I still find myself looking at the Crazy 8 or Barefaced 110 and being tempted. Has anyone else compared the C4 with either of those? Apart from a slightly smaller and lighter cab am I going to be getting much difference? 

Maybe I'd be better to just pick up another C4 ... (maybe I don't need anything else!)

I already have a CAB47 from PJB, which is a little bigger and a little heavier than the C4. Nice as that is, I would like something significantly smaller and lighter. So far the Crazy8 stays as the best option, but i admit i'm intrigued by the trickfish TF110. Quite a different in cost though!

The idea of a small PA speaker is also interesting, i shall investigate! Perhaps a single 1x10 passive speaker to be powered by my amp?

Edited by razze06

One of my cabs, which I use for duos and acoustic combos, is an Epifani UL110. It's the best sounding 10" cab I've heard - lovely warm sound, full tonal range, and great with upright
It's really lightweight too, at 11kg. I had a BF One10 and the Epifani was my preferred cab. Lovely controllable tweeter (you can dial it right out, if you wish).

Although I mainly use it for smaller gigs, it can cope with bigger gigs and venues than you might expect, for such a small cab. I've also used it as an extension cab, to my MB 1x12, and it sounds superb with bass guitar too

Not heard a Crazy 8, but I've been intrigued by them - I wouldn't mind hearing one
Also - have you considered the Acoustic image "Upshot" - they're tiny, as the "cabinet" is round (not much bigger than the speaker) and are designed to be pointed upwards....
Again, I've not heard one, but folk rave about them. Now a Crazy 8 and an upshot is something I'd love to hear :)

EDIT: Just looked, and from the Thomann website, it looks as though the Upshot is no longer available.... hope this is not the case...

Edited by Marc S

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

Not heard a Crazy 8, but I've been intrigued by them - I wouldn't mind hearing one
Also - have you considered the Acoustic image "Upshot" - they're tiny, as the "cabinet" is round (not much bigger than the speaker) and are designed to be pointed upwards....
Again, I've not heard one, but folk rave about them. Now a Crazy 8 and an upshot is something I'd love to hear :)

EDIT: Just looked, and from the Thomann website, it looks as though the Upshot is no longer available.... hope this is not the case...

Acoustic image european website lists them at about £500 each. Prices as of late 2017, mind. And eu prices are lower than uk :(

I'm just curious as to why most DB players I see live use small speaker cabs when electric bass players generally go for bigger cabs. Is there some other aspect of physics at play that I am unaware of?

The DB strings are about 42 scale length and seem at least the same thickness as electric bass strings so I would have thought they would have a bigger impact on a speaker. I'm a beginner with a EUB  and a PJB Briefcase that I practice through which is fine at low home levels. What say you?

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

...Is there some other aspect of physics at play that I am unaware of?...

The menace of larsen (feedback...) is much greater with an acoustic instrument, so 'rock arena' volume is not going to work. Enough to hear oneself play is usually the goal, I believe, as the instrument itself produces enough volume for many circumstances, and simply requires a little reinforcement. Bigger venues would be covered by a PA, so sheer volume is not the objective.

Disclaimer: I'm a drummer, so... :$

2 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

I'm just curious as to why most DB players I see live use small speaker cabs when electric bass players generally go for bigger cabs. Is there some other aspect of physics at play that I am unaware of?

Yes.

From what I understand (which isn't much)  it's to do with the 'note envelope' produced by an acoustic double bass, which is more complex than that produced by an electric bass and is managed/reproduced better by smaller speakers.

That's the theory, in practice I found that 12s or,   gods forbid, 15s can't reproduce notes below a B on the A string on a double bass very well, so that they all seem to run into each other and any walking bass line in that register is just undefined mush.  With 8s or 5s, the notes are separated and sound much clearer.

Over the years  I've played gigs with everything from 4x5s to 8x10s and I definitely prefer smaller drivers.  If you need to be loud, then use lots and lots of small drivers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chris_b said:

IMO Mike Arnopol cabs look pig ugly but get excellent reviews from users on Talkbass. 

I know what you mean, the Bodais and the 8s are weird  offset shapes, but the 45 and 46 is a nice enough looking cab.

If the side ports upset you, you can opt for a full face grille.

20180120_121326.jpg

20180120_190415.jpg

• Like 1

I too have played DB through larger speakers, and just didn't like the sound. Through a 15" cab, which I was perfectly happy playing bass guitar through - the sound from my DB just sounded very "boomy". There was less clarity and distinction between notes, particularly the lower notes; open E, F, F# + G. But a "muddy"  sound overall anyway.

Now using the same amp head, and 10" speakers, and the sound had much more clarity and notes sound more distinct and warm, and well "acoustic" too. Actually, I also use a 12" cab for BG too, and even the difference between a 10" cab and a 12" is noticeable.

I had a PJ 4 X 5 cab in the past (one of the older, heavier versions) and that sounded great with DB. For smaller gigs, I sometimes use my TC electronic 208 and that sounds good too.

So whatever the science behind it... Certainly in my experience, smaller speakers are much better for DB, and funnily enough, I find the same with my EUB too - so it can't be all down to the acoustics of a DB. I recall reading (I'm sure it was on BC sometime back) that string dynamics and the length of DB strings also plays a part....

Shame the OP is in Edinburgh. I have both a Crazy 8 and a Crazy 88 (the only one in the UK, I believe) and I honestly think they're ideal for small-sized DB rigs.

If you're going to be down South any time soon, Razze, drop me a PM and come and try them.

• Like 1