Why become a member? ×

Light, warm (and cheap!) drive pedal

Jakester

The Mojomojo is quite dark so I could see how it wouldn't work for everyone. But I do feel it fits the description of 'warmer vintage style tone' very well. A bit like the Bearfoot Blueberry, it's quite dark and squishy sounding, not the best if you want to hear the clang of roundwound strings, but perfect for classic rock or RnB.

The Soul Food on the other hand is like a polar opposite - it mixes a harsh midrange focussed drive with not much low end into your clean signal. If I was playing with a Precision with a pick in a punk band for example, I might choose the Bass Soul Food over the Mojomojo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

The Soul Food on the other hand is like a polar opposite - it mixes a harsh midrange focussed drive with not much low end into your clean signal. If I was playing with a Precision with a pick in a punk band for example, I might choose the Bass Soul Food over the Mojomojo.

*facepalm*

Oh well, let’s see how it goes. 

+1 for mojo mojo. they're going for like £20 now and do dark mushier breakup well and also has loads of gain on tap if you wanted.

+1 for the American sound. loads of sounds and control from old school to clankier modern sounds for 15 quid or so and tonnes of gain available if needed

my favourite of the cheap stuff was actually the ehx hot tubes for this kinda sound.

I did a big shootout the other week messing around at the studio against a VT bass DI and whilst all the pedals I've mentioned got you 80% of the way there against it but sounded a little flatter, compressed and "2D" the hot tubes actually marched the VT for old school goodness.

YMMV. 

Hi,

I posted this during the week on Talkbass with sound clips.  

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mosky-b-box.1385530/page-2#post-22290087

It would fit your needs perfectly I think and is only £16 delivered. It does really great clean boost to mild amp like breakup whilst keeping the bass tone intact. 

It can do higher gain too but not as well imo.

I described it more in depth earlier in the thread.

I got mine here 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2019 at 18:52, The59Sound said:

The Caline Orange Burst is worth a shot also. 

On 25/01/2019 at 21:20, Andytre said:

I took a mojomojo of my little board for one of these, didn't think you could get better and cheaper! Great sounding pedal (to me)

for hardly anything. 

Ooo, I just won a fleabay auction for one of those bad-boys, for my maximum bid of £15.05p.

(beat somebody who's maximum was £15.01p. If you're looking in, D***4 - sorry about that! 😃)

👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/05/2019 at 20:25, Ricky 4000 said:

Ooo, I just won a fleabay auction for one of those bad-boys, for my maximum bid of £15.05p.

(beat somebody who's maximum was £15.01p. If you're looking in, D***4 - sorry about that! 😃)

👍

Let us know how you get on!

• Like 1

On 28/01/2019 at 13:59, dannybuoy said:

The Mojomojo is quite dark so I could see how it wouldn't work for everyone. But I do feel it fits the description of 'warmer vintage style tone' very well. A bit like the Bearfoot Blueberry, it's quite dark and squishy sounding, not the best if you want to hear the clang of roundwound strings, but perfect for classic rock or RnB.

How much does the MojoMojo colour your sound? I play in a power trio and am after a 'warmer', more 'valvey' type of sound to fill out the room. I feel sometimes with OD pedals that they completely change your original tone - is this the case here? 

FYI - I use a Jazz bass with SS strings into a Markbass combo. 

I picked one up to use in addition to the Soul Food, and its exactly as you describe on the lower settings. I’ve not noticed any tone suck - it does have two different  voicings for guit and bass too. 

It's certainly not what I'd call transparent. It adds a ton of low mids and rolls of the upper mids and treble quite a bit. But the drive is quite natural and amp like. If your basic sound is like that anyway (e.g. a P with flats) it works really well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2019 at 08:58, dudewheresmybass said:

The orange burst is a total sleeper of a pedal. 

Fits beautifully into most of the bands I play with (with minimal tweaking)

for my money it is incredibly hard to beat at almost any price. 

Finally got to use my Orange Burst at war volume last night and wow! Really impressed at what it can do. Tons of bottom end still and a nice gain breakup when pushed. Best £20 I've ever spent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As the topic is about three different units, I just can't find accurate weights of the different pedals...

Seriously, I have found that a hi-Z (so called passive) bass drives pedal in a different way than a lo-Z one. I have said it before and I repeat this again. If your OD/fuzz/distortion is later in the effects chain (so that some other pedal drives it), there may be one box for both types of basses but if it is the first after the instrument...

My tube driven Dean Markley Overlord is warm after an hour of use.

Edited by itu

On 16/01/2019 at 18:52, The59Sound said:

The Caline Orange Burst is worth a shot also. 

I had a Caline fuzz pedal (the Fuzzy Bear) until recently, they do really great stuff and so affordable! They look great too, and solid build quality.

Edited by Rikki_Sixx
Typo

I just picked up a Mosky Overdrive a few weeks back. It's brilliant, a copy of the Fulltone OCD in a teeny tiny box. There's a "peak" switch (High Peak / Low Peak) to go from a nice clean boost to a more brash and sustain-y distortion. Worth a punt at easily under £20!

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2019 at 09:58, Rikki_Sixx said:

I just picked up a Mosky Overdrive a few weeks back. It's brilliant, a copy of the Fulltone OCD in a teeny tiny box. There's a "peak" switch (High Peak / Low Peak) to go from a nice clean boost to a more brash and sustain-y distortion. Worth a punt at easily under £20!

Does it cut the lows?