Why become a member? ×

Light, warm (and cheap!) drive pedal

Jakester

Does anyone have any recommendations for a simple drive pedal? I’m moving from a TC amp which had their Tubedrive in it, and I occasionally used it to get a warmer vintage style tone by having it at about 3 or 4 on the dial. 

New amp doesn’t have any effects so looking to add just a smidge of drive every now and again. It’s not a core part of “my sound” so I can live without but if anyone has any recommendations for a simple single stomp box (as opposed to something with eq and gubbins like a Sansamp or GK Plex) lthat might do the job, it’s be appreciated. Even better if it’s relatively cheap. Ta. 

Ok looks like you guys got there in one with a drive pedal recommendation. Which has got to be a WORLD first!! 😂

Btw @Jakesterthe Mojomojo is great value, retains low end really well, and seems particularly appropriate if you're used to the TC Tubedrive. 

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

+1, it's what I use for warm/vintage drive and not just because it's the cheapest pedal on my board but because it beat everything else!

Just interested to know whether you've tried a Grizzly Bass dB. Not cheap I know, so not what the OP is after... 

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I prefer soul kitchen. Hmmm well Blues Kitchen is already taken...maybe an opportunity for some light warm and cheap French fries somewhere here 😀

Are you still on your fourth Aggie Agro monsieur Le @totorbass

The third, it  is soldered on my board now. (Even more since I have ma mountainking megalith before it,  that I can use as a volume and bass boost  if desired).

Edited by totorbass
  • Haha 1

I have a Wampler Pantheon - with the presence knob off, and the other tone controls at noon, it's flat - doesn't lose bass. Very good at "just a hint of breakup" sounds. If you want something a bit snarly, then a Pike Vulcan is just the ticket - I go back and forth between the two, depending on what vibe I'm chasing for a particular gig.

6 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I tried the MojoMojo and thought it was a bit 'farty' for want of a better word. The Orange Burst to me was similar but not voiced as dark and the break up sounded more natural. Great little pedal for the money. 

I agree about the Mojomoj. I used mine for one night on my board and took it off. It just wasnt want i wanted. It sounded too dark to me. Maybe ill try it again at some point while i still have it . Seems like a good pedal for the money though.

I love my Joyo OD pedals though, especially the Orange Juice.. 

Speaking of Joyo stuff, the Ultimate Drive might be worth a punt (I thought it was ok rather than knockout). I think the American Sound is really good for the price - quite a good range of breakup without getting fizzy, and a usable EQ. The Behringer BDI also sounds absolutely fine - it's these latter two that I would recommend.

I couldn’t get on with the mojomojo either and it went quick. I now have a soul food which I love and have now added a hot wax as well, not the cheapest but the twin channels which can be piggybacked is a real bonus.

Edited by T-Bay