Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

You could do with some insulation on the cap's long legs, all too easy to short onto the pot bodies - If you don't mind me saying like and personally I wouldn't rely on the earth continuity via the copper shielding, a proper wire from jack socket  to each pot body would be my suggestion 😎_MG_8369.JPG

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

You could do with some insulation on the cap's long legs, all too easy to short onto the pot bodies - If you don't mind me saying like and personally I wouldn't rely on the earth continuity via the copper shielding, a proper wire from jack socket  to each pot body would be my suggestion 😎_MG_8369.JPG

QC.

Cool.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Good tips. I did think about the insulation but the gap is greater that it looks on the photo and I couldn't think what would ever bend them.  Mind you, you never know what @fleabag might be planning to store in there so maybe I'd better pop a couple of sleeves on! ;)

• Like 2

Final knockings before this gets passed over to @fleabag on Saturday.

I'll make those couple of changes that @KiOgon recommends and then the only other thing I wasn't happy with was the headstock.  The stain was a bit patchy and the gloss sub-base of finish that the decals went onto wasn't quite flat enough.  These decals are so super, super thin, the sub-base has to be pretty perfect or the decal itself shows the undulations as a series of stripes where the decal is fully contacting and not quite fully contacting.

So off it's all come and I've started again.  Stripped it down to wood, re-stained and re-gloss varnished before applying the couple of spare decals I'd ordered.  In the flesh, this is MUCH better:

_MG_8403.thumb.JPG.d3a735ba55025e2cfabf933914e5069d.JPG

So just got to add the satin sealing coats and then bolt it all together and get it to @fleabag ! :)

• Like 6

👍 Super job Andy!  There are now 2 basses in the world made from the last tree felled by my old mate Merv, the 'Wharfedale wood-cutter'.  The owd rascal would truly have been proud to know that.  Pictured below: Merv aged 17, a couple of years in to his career as an axe-man (1948), and as I knew him in 2008.

http://MW-1948-aged-17.jpg

http://MW-2004.jpg

Edit: Sorry guys, forgot I was still signed in on the Gillett Guitars account!  It's scrumpymike here - in case you hadn't guessed 😉

Edited by Gillett Guitars
  • Like 6

OK - pretty much finished.

I did the tweaks that @KiOgon recommended:

_MG_8404.thumb.JPG.09127bb15e46398fa1eec91c2116af83.JPG

I'll pop a set of spare strings on to do the final checks that everything is still where it should be and to get the starting positions for the bridge and pickup heights - @fleabag is going to fit his preferred strings, do the final set-up and fit the strap buttons but I'll make sure the basics are in place to start with.

I'm pleased how this has turned out:

_MG_8411.thumb.JPG.a50431a6857b8861731bb5d4aecdc51e.JPG

_MG_8425.thumb.JPG.b71e12e711a3d4e66cf8b4294f2d1113.JPG

_MG_8435.thumb.JPG.b84513fffc1456cbf0832bee2bf23dc9.JPG

_MG_8429.thumb.JPG.dc7f93571cdca70f0246a5caa1fd411b.JPG

_MG_8431.thumb.JPG.b182ff3cc4b0ff9c4bd32fbdb85b876a.JPG

• Like 11