Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I saw a partial tit in the garden this morning, it was missing it’s 4th knob.

Could be worse... it might have chaffinched its woodpecker or got pigeon-holed by a great big bustard.  It's not a garden out there it's a jungle and we all know... Jungle is massive!

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Could be worse... it might have chaffinched its woodpecker or got pigeon-holed by a great big bustard.  It's not a garden out there it's a jungle and we all know... Jungle is massive!

Makes a change from giant snails I suppose, but, as @SpondonBassed said earlier in another thread, March is waaaay too early to be calling him for best thread deviation of 2019 😆

Come back @Andyjr1515 -  now it's your thread that needs putting back on track  😄 SB's too good at this malarkey 🤣

• Thanks 1

OK - hauling it all back...

Two or three jobs ticked off the 'to do' list.

Because the final finish coats will go on shortly, it's time to fix anything that needs sanding or fettling on the body.  One of these was to tidy up the fit of the pickup chamber that was still a bit uneven.  That's now pretty even all the way round:

_MG_8352.thumb.JPG.7539ec6a445665a0c4c85205c326d856.JPG

I then bolted the neck on to check the neck angle and also mark the fixing position of the bridge.

Neck angle is pretty much spot on so I could then position the bridge.

Pretty normal stuff.  First was winding the G saddle to its forward position and popping a bit of masking tape, 90 degrees to the body join line at the position corresponding to the scale length at the G saddle.

Then popping a couple of strings through either side of the bridge and clamping them loosely at the nut.  I used a guitar capo for this:

_MG_8353.thumb.JPG.79e9b9f4c8092f62bb12fb664a35bf5a.JPG

Then it was a case of moving the bridge left or right along the scale length masking tape line to ensure the E and G were equidistant from the edges of the neck:

_MG_8354.thumb.JPG.8241586586a88a8278cf09de7a59866a.JPG

Then popping a couple of pieces of masking tape to record that position in case the bridge got knocked, and then centre-holing the positions of the screws ready to drill the pilot holes:

_MG_8355.thumb.JPG.35483e48090aa18aa08403b4d94e23df.JPG

And that leaves 12 to-do's to do! :)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - hauling it all back...

Two or three jobs ticked off the 'to do' list.

Because the final finish coats will go on shortly, it's time to fix anything that needs sanding or fettling on the body.  One of these was to tidy up the fit of the pickup chamber that was still a bit uneven.  That's now pretty even all the way round:

_MG_8352.thumb.JPG.7539ec6a445665a0c4c85205c326d856.JPG

I then bolted the neck on to check the neck angle and also mark the fixing position of the bridge.

Neck angle is pretty much spot on so I could then position the bridge.

Pretty normal stuff.  First was winding the G saddle to its forward position and popping a bit of masking tape, 90 degrees to the body join line at the position corresponding to the scale length at the G saddle.

Then popping a couple of strings through either side of the bridge and clamping them loosely at the nut.  I used a guitar capo for this:

_MG_8353.thumb.JPG.79e9b9f4c8092f62bb12fb664a35bf5a.JPG

Then it was a case of moving the bridge left or right along the scale length masking tape line to ensure the E and G were equidistant from the edges of the neck:

_MG_8354.thumb.JPG.8241586586a88a8278cf09de7a59866a.JPG

Then popping a couple of pieces of masking tape to record that position in case the bridge got knocked, and then centre-holing the positions of the screws ready to drill the pilot holes:

_MG_8355.thumb.JPG.35483e48090aa18aa08403b4d94e23df.JPG

And that leaves 12 to-do's to do! :)

That's a great 'how to' 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Yes.  Are you doing a demo at the Bash this year Andy?  Jack was asking.

We haven't talked through yet but happy to do a demo of something - or maybe a talk through my experiments with lightweight builds - if wanted.  Are you sorted now ref transport?

6 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

We haven't talked through yet but happy to do a demo of something - or maybe a talk through my experiments with lightweight builds - if wanted.  Are you sorted now ref transport?

I think so.  I'll message you about it.

I heard lots of positive comment about last year's presentations.  All three were good.  I think it's a great focal point for the attendees too.  It might be nice to get some sound bites for the podcast as well.

• Like 2

@fleabag wanted some specific designs of decals for the headstock.

I followed up a link that @BassTool put on his recent thread for Rob at GuitarDecals.co.uk.

Superb! 

Best decals I've ever used - super, super, super thin and including whites!

Still have to do the overcoating of finish on them, but this is how they look at the moment:

_MG_8360.thumb.jpg.40dc82ee853d6d9eae5a6b1410c47774.jpg

• Like 6

Well, I'm definitely on the home straight at last with this.

The final finish treatment is drying on the neck, the body is done so it's shielding and wiring, fitting the pickup and cover, and fitting the hardware, then final assembly.  @fleabag will be fitting his preferred strings, strap buttons and doing the final set-up.

If I have the right coloured screws in my bits box, my bit should be finished by the end of the weekend.

:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

@fleabag wanted some specific designs of decals for the headstock.

I followed up a link that @BassTool put on his recent thread for Rob at GuitarDecals.co.uk.

Superb! 

Best decals I've ever used - super, super, super thin and including whites!

Still have to do the overcoating of finish on them, but this is how they look at the moment:

_MG_8360.thumb.jpg.40dc82ee853d6d9eae5a6b1410c47774.jpg

+1 for Rob's work, sorted the BlazerRay headstock decal out for me  ;)

Edited by BassTool
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the radio silence has simply been while the final coats on the body have been hardening.

I'm actually re-doing the Nemesis transfer on the headstock - I got a spare and think I can do better than the first go by getting the headstock coating a bit flatter before I apply it.

BUT...the rest is pretty much done.

@fleabag sent me the pots and switches to do a series/split coil/parallel option and also a 250k tone pot vs a 500k tone pot.  For starters I've put the same cap value on those two but @fleabag will be able to experiment simply by swapping caps as he wishes.

Here's the finished circuit:

_MG_8369.thumb.JPG.4e05ab953ad37e5d4f8798f690bc2cf9.JPG

And here's how the body is looking:

_MG_8374.thumb.JPG.91ebd95aba96b1f9ae23ef721a19ff0a.JPG

_MG_8380.thumb.JPG.ef75c0f2b4691f97360efad158f10999.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well, the radio silence has simply been while the final coats on the body have been hardening.

I'm actually re-doing the Nemesis transfer on the headstock - I got a spare and think I can do better than the first go by getting the headstock coating a bit flatter before I apply it.

BUT...the rest is pretty much done.

@fleabag sent me the pots and switches to do a series/split coil/parallel option and also a 250k tone pot vs a 500k tone pot.  For starters I've put the same cap value on those two but @fleabag will be able to experiment simply by swapping caps as he wishes.

Here's the finished circuit:

_MG_8369.thumb.JPG.4e05ab953ad37e5d4f8798f690bc2cf9.JPG

And here's how the body is looking:

_MG_8374.thumb.JPG.91ebd95aba96b1f9ae23ef721a19ff0a.JPG

_MG_8380.thumb.JPG.ef75c0f2b4691f97360efad158f10999.JPG

Hot Damn @Andyjr1515, you've done it again!

I love that design!

Eude

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1