Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Then straighten up the top 10mm with chisels.  Nowadays, by the way, these are pretty much the only chisels I tend to use, both sets bought from Axminster:

_MG_8109.thumb.JPG.5835c72fc78ed3e718b024275ec46bef.JPG

Very nice looking stubbies! Are they Ashley Iles? 

Edited by Jimothey

29 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

No - Crown Tools.  They are great and weren't crazy expensive

I've got some Crown Tools stuff and your right they are great! I did treat myself to a set of Ashley Iles when my business was going great £150 for a set of 6 but you can get them unbelievable sharp and even when using on Oak they keep their edge for ages!! 😀

I started doing the neck fixings but have ordered some different inserts.  The first one went in OK but I was a bit bothered that the hex sockets used in the inserts for self cutting the threads as they are inserted were a touch oversize - I don't want one of them getting 7/8ths in and then can't get it fully home or out again!

Still, the one I put in is sound enough for me to be able to do a bit of 'air-bass' and be able to start the heel carve of the back of the neck pocket:

_MG_8122.thumb.JPG.87b60296174a1f6f3fd78b5c2db786c2.JPG

At the exposed side, the heel will be tapered slightly to meet the back (you can see the 2-3mm overlap in this shot that will be merged)  and then rounded towards the bolt recesses and then the front blip (RHS on the above photo) will be slimmed towards the neck. 

• Like 3

Started the carve of the neck/body transition.  Still more to do, but this is the sort of thing I'm going for:

_MG_8123.thumb.JPG.4f961e13c038e574eb9a0989855728a5.JPG

It already feels nice as you head towards the top frets but I'll probably scoop the carve out a little more.

For those of a nervous disposition, by the way, the two dark lines near the neck join are grain lines in the Sapele, not cracks :)

I've changed tack on the skunk stripe lining up with the purpleheart stripe by the way - I've moved to "from the player's point of view, when it's on the strap and he's gazing lovingly down at the back, it lines up nicely" ;) 

Overall, I think the shape is coming together.  The only thing that niggles a bit - and it may look quite different once the two waist relief areas are deepened (this afternoon's job) is that the back to me looks a bit flat?

_MG_8127.thumb.JPG.ddf03c6e1873f3b301439aff800a7587.JPG

Having said that, it maybe because this is the first non-concave backed build I've done in a while...maybe this is what they're usually like!

So, a bit more body carving and the control chamber next on the list of to-dos

• Like 5

Don't worry - I haven't gone to ground :D

I've been finalising the body carve - just got one cutaway still to do.  When I'm at this stage, I usually do a quick coat of oil - it shows up better the bits I've missed, it starts to fill the voids and I also need to see what colour the purpleheart is going to end up (for reasons explained below) ;) .  But also it always looks like sh**e at this stage so I tend not to post photos until I've started applying the finish proper.

In the meantime, I'll shortly be starting on the neck.  Yes - that's going to be stained.  Look at the paragraph above and you may be able to guess what colour... :D

• Like 1

Life getting in the way of the important stuff again.  Next couple of days should see a bit more progress, though.  

And things have moved on to an extent:

The pickup cover has arrived back from Armstrong's complete with pickup!  Lovely job :)

This is what I sent to Aaron:

_MG_8148.thumb.JPG.2174505750c6e6a133732b3ca6fa98fb.JPG

And this is what he sent me back:

_MG_8149.thumb.JPG.6ca182552c50ef6ed844318e98489664.JPG

The body will end up lighter than this - this is just the sealing coats I'm currently using to fill voids and fissues (eg the centres of the 'whirlpools') and to show up any missed chisel marks, etc..  I use tru-oil for this bit...but that will be then sanded off and the final finishing will use the RAW version of Osmo oil that keeps the walnut a touch lighter.  Tru-oil is great for slurrying and preparing the surface but does add a tint to certain woods, which is why often I use a different product for the final finishing.   Nevertheless, the shot shows how the pickup will sit:

_MG_8163.thumb.JPG.b09ed2acf2b8f686f3d60bcbc690c236.JPG

The eventual colour of the walnut should be pretty close to @scrumpymike 's Rascal.  I think that will contrast beautifully with the purpleheart:

_MG_3997.thumb.JPG.4c0772f7ffc2eb52a0eebc3d330d5ce7.jpg.2a6ed20e30d946af80c68f0524aa2ef4.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Nice work Andy , just lovely

Eude, i specified Aaron to make me a single coil /  series hum cancelling / parallel hum cancelling in a narrow soapbar.  Took him about 4 days ..brilliant

Nice, Aaron is a bit of a genius isn't he!
All my ACG basses have Aaron's pickups in them, wound to ACG specs, although I have had them fine tuned a little, usually just overwound for a bit more guts and a little less treble.

Eude

• Like 2

Funny really, but the reason i ended up calling Aaron was the fact that i had trouble finding a single pickup in the criteria i had in my head, which was a narrow soapbar single coil / hum cancelling.  I simply couldnt buy one pickup, either Barts or Nordstrands and various other top qwoll pups, so ended up speaking to Aaron.  Man's a legend, and doesnt hang about either. I also specified a tad more output and low mids

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

@fleabag 's idea for the control chamber is to duplicate the purpleheart theme and mount the controls from the top on a purpleheart plate, similarly shaped to the pickup cover.

It should look pretty good once the top is the right colour and finish. 

The controls are going to be straight-lined with jack on the top:

_MG_8168.thumb.JPG.43c7f9f4ce0174beec02f7ace66cd1ff.JPG

...sitting in a chamber below:

_MG_8189.thumb.JPG.568f2c8a3a19f1d7d8979f1788446467.JPG

...under a cover which, once it's had its finish applied, will be the same colour as the pickup cover:

_MG_8184.thumb.JPG.b8465b80b7cf3327c6c697719fccb751.JPG

Canon DSLR's struggle with reds and purples.  The actual colour of the pickup cover is closer to the top photo than this.

Still got to do the final filing and sanding of the lower cutaway, and maybe a bit more off the nose transition, but this is how the back is starting to look:

_MG_8190.thumb.JPG.c49b7b0debb5788a045ed818a64d2681.JPG

...and then later this afternoon I'll be sanding it all down to start applying the proper finish so I can then start turning my attention to stripping and staining the neck :)

• Like 5