Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

53 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Jed Clampett

Remember him ? Thats you that is, Andy  :)

Cripes fleabag - how old are you? Used to have the hots for Ellie Mae - now it would be Miss Hathaway (or even grandma ☹️)

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Stop watching old TV reruns and trim the headstock :crazy:

On 18/02/2019 at 23:21, Andyjr1515 said:

Anyway, I got bored with the discussion, so I've glued it back on.

And in real life, it looks spot on :)

So just wait until tomorrow when no doubt I'll mess something up, then everyone can talk about that instead xD

9_9

OK - just to take everyone's mind off the f*****g headstock ( ;) ), I knocked up a quick prototype of the pickup cover the Armstrong custom pickup is going to be built into: 

_MG_7977.thumb.JPG.60779e0129e0bc5719bbeb97b6e2c124.JPG

_MG_7978.thumb.JPG.e4c9b2461b2ccf55a2048bd2c8f8f638.JPG

The real one will be all purpleheart.

It took me a while to understand what Aaron Armstrong and @fleabag had in mind (I'm a bit dense at times) but basically, in the same way as a pickup is often expoxied or waxed into a metal of plastic housing, the pickup innards will be epoxied into this.  There will be height adjusting screws in the two end pieces so it should act like a typical soapbar.

What I am pleased with is that the purpleheart sliced readily down to 1.5mm for the top and sides and the box seems reassuringly rigid :)

I'll make the final version over the next few days and get it over to Armstrong Pickups for them to build the pickup into it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Which Clampett?

image.png.fe8167049bb080cc80dc6cfa0da0d1dc.png

Priceless - don't remember that episode!  Danelectro?  Don't worry fleabag, nobody's going to try and persuade you to have a head-stock like that one... or are they? 😉

Edited by scrumpymike

20 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Which Clampett?

image.png.fe8167049bb080cc80dc6cfa0da0d1dc.png

OK, so maybe this is a trick question from SB.  Of course, it looks like Jed in 'rock'n'roll duds' - but did the script call for a visit from some distant cousin of Jed's who'd made the big time?  I'm guessing that SB knows the answer - and the name 😊

fleabag, let us know if you're bored with this and we'll stop it immediately (or at least I will).

• Haha 2

And the body carve starts.

_MG_8030.thumb.JPG.2dcce3e20291c5347c4d38eaf9582542.JPG

This will be a 'carve a bit, stand back, consider, carve a bit more' and will come together little by little.

As a start off, @fleabag wants me to see if we can achieve a bevelled edge - a bit like an SG - so that's where I'm starting and see how it looks as the carve develops 

• Like 1

OK - that's enough for one day.  It's a sleep on it and have a look in the morning - especially what best to do with the lower horn and cutaway and the curve of the top horn. 

Oh - and check with @fleabag that this was what he broadly had in mind :) ;)

_MG_8033.thumb.JPG.43a8f31405b5c1ae30a33f010d0de0a5.JPG

_MG_8035.thumb.JPG.1a2d1e60f86591e6a4b3174067961627.JPG

Adding a bit of dampness gives a clue to the final depth of colour:

_MG_8045.thumb.JPG.77be853f4f79689c560776a839533545.JPG

• Like 3