Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

27 minutes ago, fleabag said:

You'll need a different bridge :)

Well, I managed to knock some small nails through the string ball ends into the stump.  Seems to be holding.  Just got to find a way of tightening them at the other end.  I've cut a few bits off the Schaller...haven't worked out what I'm going to put in their place, but I'm sure I'll think of something!

:)

• Haha 1

Guest Marcoelwray
4 hours ago, fleabag said:

Why ?  To make a headless ?  No thanks. I hate headless basses. :)

No, something more homogeneous with the body. But hey, it's yours and just my opinion.... ;)

Last thing to do before gluing the top on is routing the cable channel between the pickup area and the control chamber

_MG_7953.thumb.JPG.39d9b344c29c76a10d3771e57eef4b14.JPG

And then it's a case of gluing the top on.

CONFESS!!  CONFESS YOU MOTELEY-MINDED NUT-HOOK!

_MG_7959.thumb.JPG.1e2eaa97b3e2de731d1870d30bf8992c.JPG

That's its punishment for not responding compliantly to the earlier stern talking-to...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes - me too :)

More seriously, this is one of those make it up as I go along see how the flow at each stage points to the direction of the next stage :D

In normal circumstances, the top would be the same size and then the carve or chamfer at the sides would cut into - or not - the middle lamination.

In this case - at this stage, I have a top whose width is determined by the width of the walnut and a back pitched at the maximum width of a Fender Jazz / Precision so that we know it's going to fit in a standard bass case.

Now I have it all lined up for the neck and the body, I can re-look at how best to do the cut-though  of the layer cake and - in discussion with @fleabag - whether it will look best as a curve or chamfer.   If you assume an SG-type chamfer, which is @fleabag 's preference, then I think the overlap for the back rear bout on the treble side is actually too wide and, if so, I will slim it down a touch - otherwise the chamfer would need to be far too shallow.

That's what I like about these kinds of builds - they are a bit of an evolution of design.

• Like 1