Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

Daughter and baby grand-daughter fly back Friday so I won't need to be creeping round not making noise as I've had to the past week and a half!

Still - grabbed a quick half-hour on the band saw and the back is now cut out:

_MG_7763.thumb.JPG.07ab92d61ca714a460ff24db38f66db0.JPG 

Tomorrow, I should be able to make a start on the purple-heart layer and then get going on the weight-relief chambering/etc - which is done before the top goes on - over the weekend :)

• Like 1

The purpleheart I'm using is the inner neck splice timber from David Dyke.  Even though it is narrow, I went for that because I know that it is the colour and consistency that @fleabag is looking for.  Wider pieces of purpleheart can sometimes start getting close to the bark transition area which is a totally different colour (very light - a bit like yew).

So this morning I levelled the joining edges with the Bailey plane of the pieces I will be using and have started to join them together and will then clamp the resulting sheet to the back.

Here are the first two laths being joined together.  The vertical clamps and cauls are in place to keep everything flat as the sash clamps do the work on the joint itself:

_MG_7767.thumb.JPG.d0dd36810a0da2db555d5434230fc98b.JPG 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Indeed ;)  But I come from Wolverhampton so I'll still probably call them clamps (not because that's what they're called in W'ton but more like that's what folks from W'ton are like!  :lol:  ) 

Call 'em what ya like. Yow the boss.    Sash grips ?  :)

• Haha 1

The purpleheart laths are glued and trimmed to rough shape.  You can see the lath that was on the top of the pile and got to the light!  

_MG_7796.thumb.JPG.b9f118c6f9c5d433c2b2aabcd8c2fd84.JPG  

The light and finish application will darken the edges significantly, but you can see the sort of contrast there will be by just dampening it:

_MG_7801.thumb.JPG.3516768f9c840e2086124738239f76a7.JPG

I've also straightened up the neck against the centre-line and worked out where the heel sits flat on the back wood:

_MG_7805.thumb.JPG.d62da477d82008a189147d63fad64b3c.JPG

This area will be cut out completely before I glue the purpleheart to the back - forward of it will be the more tricky carve job to wrap round the neck and neck/heel transition

• Like 2

The area for the neck heel base has now been cut out of the purpleheart so that the neck can seat - in a sort of normal way - to the Sapele back:

_MG_7861.thumb.JPG.b98b35cc8ce1e252f226f19dd96cdfd2.JPG

Once the front edge has been carved to mirror the neck carve, the neck should drop down into the pocket and seat properly:

_MG_7862.thumb.JPG.ffc8e04edb0d8ad12dc5845917de170d.JPG

It's probably going to be easier to do this before I glue the purpleheart to the back.  Then the walnut will be a similar process.

Dunno...but there's half a chance this might work! :D

Can you see, by the way, how the purpleheart is already darkening - and this is just with air exposure (it's been in the cellar so there's been no light)  It will end up a completely uniform colour.

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 6

I'll say it before anyone else does - 

Yes...it looks like a pigeon ;)

_MG_7871.thumb.JPG.d11659383cf8f1a33335d6b6139a5dcb.JPG

This is the carve almost done.  1mm still to go until it's completely flush with the purpleheart, ensuring that the heel will seat fully once it's glued to the Sapele back:

_MG_7869.thumb.JPG.567c6c55c8b0205e0b21d9f4e97edda3.JPG

So far, it's straight, in line and gapless...

...still time, of course, to f*** it up! :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

That’s a bonkers idea!  I can’t get my head around how you could get the carve to fit - did you melt the wood?!

No - just most of the day with some needle files and sandpaper.  Trouble is, purpleheart is as hard as rock!    (and smells like poo)

As I was carving, I decided to take the pigeon's beak off the purpleheart - it looks better and will aid the upper fret playability.  I'll post the slight mod tomorrow...because it's being glued to the back at this very moment :party:

• Like 1