Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Andyjr1515 meets his Nemesis?

Andyjr1515

It will probably be next week before I actually get to cutting wood on this.  Once you start cutting wood then decisions have been made and opportunities for changing - or correcting - those decisions are limited.  The real challenge is that the neck fillet carve has to be the final one.  No opportunity for adjustment of neck angle - because of the fill-in carve - so it has to be right first time.

Also - there are other things to check with custom builds.  Such as 'will it fit in a standard case?'

So I do a lot of musings and ponderings and checkings...there are a lot of  -ings  in an average custom build!

This is one of the reasons I keep an old P body.  It's a good double check and, for this one, it gives me a decent guide how much wider we can go with the Sapele back if we want to:

_MG_7707.thumb.JPG.eb12d7f4c2d63f4098976eec566b8cd5.JPG

So I have at least 15mm each side of the widest part of the rear bout.

What I will do next is draw the back template in Inkscape and have a go at simulating what the revised concept could look like.  But that will have to wait - I'm just off to meet @scrumpymike who is going to pass across to me something VERY exciting (and this time for ME! :party: )

Well yeeehar.  Wider , always is my philosophy :)   So go wide young skywalker.

Besides, i have a rather volumous bag...and it's not mrs bag, in case you were asking ,  thats biggger,  and taller,  than any of my bass cases. 

It's a Roksan padded affair and adequate for anything longer and wider than normal 34" scale bass.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:51, fleabag said:

PS we need to know what's coming your way, otherwise i'm bubbling you to the feds

OK - I won't hijack my own thread, but it's this game-changing Gillett Contour 6 string Electric in Rocklite Sundari  :)

_MG_7725.thumb.JPG.b5547d02d01f541e6bab8a41a6645dc2.JPG

_MG_7715.thumb.JPG.594e86bf24a842e404efaa503a1c9ab7.JPG

_MG_7716.thumb.JPG.a8b31dbd80352e427650854c1cca0e41.JPG

_MG_7718.thumb.JPG.db27db1e95cb3760311ce3fecb977cd9.JPG

It's been doing the shows over the past couple of months - it's the first full 'top back and sides' use of Rocklite Sundari worldwide - and now it's in my sticky mitts :D

The cutaways are natural walnut.  The top back and sides are artificial - the Rocklite Sundari (which aims to be an alternative to Rosewood, now highly regulated and restricted in use and sale).  Just look at that grain!

I'll do a proper run through when I get a moment on the 'Other Instruments' bit and on Guitarchat ;) but suffice to say I am VERY excited.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

The top back and sides are artificial - the Rocklite Sundari (which aims to be an alternative to Rosewood, now highly regulated and restricted in use and sale).

This is a very interesting development indeed. How does the cost of the rocklite compare to "the real thing"?

S.P.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

This is a very interesting development indeed. How does the cost of the rocklite compare to "the real thing"?

S.P.

Well this is the exciting thing.  @scrumpymike works with Gillett Guitars and, through him, I've been able to see some of the innards of these remarkable basses and guitars. 

I won't go through the finer features of the guitar design itself as it is truly unique and I'm sure Gillett want to keep ahead of the plagiarists as long as they can - it and the basses have a number of patented features which helps. 

But, I've had the chance to talk at length with their technical manager and - bearing in mind these are both CNC'd and hand-tooled and finished components...high precision stuff - he showed me the components.  They were treated exactly the same as the mahogany components for the main production models.  It was finish-fitted, sanded, sealed and final finished in exactly the same way.  I saw some pieces close to and, if I hadn't been told, I wouldn't have known it wasn't solid wood...

By the way...there may well be a full feature in one of the major mags on this material and this specific guitar in the coming months...

Edited by Andyjr1515

Thanks guys!  The really exciting bit is that so far most players prefer the sound of the Rocklite instrument.  Re cost, it's currently slightly more expensive than natural tone-wood.

All credit to Andy for having the courage to specify his guitar in this hi-tech material!  Fyi, we're just finishing a second Rocklite 6-string guitar for another member of this forum.  Could this be the future for our (currently Indian Rosewood) Contour S bass?

I'll give Andy his topic back now 😉 - any more questions to me via pm/phone please or follow our sponsored Gillett Guitars topic.

scrumpymike aka

Sales & Marketing Manager
GILLETT GUITARS
Tel. +44 (0)1823 272376/(0)7770 946135

image.png.cf343ecc1fe792b45bc582500dfa791b.png

… and now it’s a ‘perfect 10’ for Quality In

BGM’s September 2018 review!!

• Like 1

Andy, thank you for being a pioneer ...I tried it @ Gillett, ordered immediately! Have visited the CNC partner...wow...will be finished in a couple of weeks...cant wait ...I also have the 4 string Slimline Contour Bass, which I and my band love...check them out

We bass players should take Rocklite seriously as a recyclable alternative...expect more innovation

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - I won't hijack my own thread, but it's this game-changing Gillett Contour 6 string Electric in Rocklite Sundari  :)

_MG_7725.thumb.JPG.b5547d02d01f541e6bab8a41a6645dc2.JPG

_MG_7715.thumb.JPG.594e86bf24a842e404efaa503a1c9ab7.JPG

_MG_7716.thumb.JPG.a8b31dbd80352e427650854c1cca0e41.JPG

_MG_7718.thumb.JPG.db27db1e95cb3760311ce3fecb977cd9.JPG

It's been doing the shows over the past couple of months - it's the first full 'top back and sides' use of Rocklite Sundari worldwide - and now it's in my sticky mitts :D

The cutaways are natural walnut.  The top back and sides are artificial - the Rocklite Sundari (which aims to be an alternative to Rosewood, now highly regulated and restricted in use and sale).  Just look at that grain!

I'll do a proper run through when I get a moment on the 'Other Instruments' bit and on Guitarchat ;) but suffice to say I am VERY excited.

Funnily enough I was thinking of this guitar the other day when I got de ja vu reading about Fender's new Acoustasonic.

Although this is clearly on a different level.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

OK - back to the subject ;)

Well, I'm pretty much ready to start cutting wood.  I've found a decent piece of sapele for the back and the purpleheart is on order.  That should be with me Monday/Tuesday and then I reckon I'm ready to go :)

The pickup cover and control cover are just representative, but this is broadly how it'll look (without the chalk marks ;)  )      ((...and the peak won't be as sharp as that!))

429075622_Version3Widerbackv3copy.thumb.jpg.52a0b389ebee1361304ced1d0e6bfb9e.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - back to the subject ;)

Well, I'm pretty much ready to start cutting wood.  I've found a decent piece of sapele for the back and the purpleheart is on order.  That should be with me Monday/Tuesday and then I reckon I'm ready to go :)

The pickup cover and control cover are just representative, but this is broadly how it'll look (without the chalk marks ;)  )      ((...and the peak won't be as sharp as that!))

429075622_Version3Widerbackv3copy.thumb.jpg.52a0b389ebee1361304ced1d0e6bfb9e.jpg

An interesting feature in this design is the bold move towards outboard stringing of the E and G strings.  Here we see it achieved by using an oversized bridge from the set of Land of the Giants.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

An interesting feature in this design is the bold move towards outboard stringing of the E and G strings.  Here we see it achieved by using an oversized bridge from the set of Land of the Giants.

That'll teach me to rush.  Mind you, it has a subtle elegance don't you think?  And a surefire cure for neckdive ;)

39 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That'll teach me to rush.  Mind you, it has a subtle elegance don't you think?  And a surefire cure for neckdive ;)

You'll be doing one of those twisty necks liked @Saved next!

"Subtle elegance".  Okay, if you say so.  In the same way that Fender headstocks and road traffic accidents are subtle I suppose.

• Haha 1