Why become a member? ×

Spector sold to Korg

Mudpup

At least it wasn't Gibson

The music tech world is littered with the corpses of companies that were acquired by Gibson.

Fender's track record in that department isn't exactly sterling either.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Just now, Beedster said:

Sad reflection on the music manufacturing industry that the word 'pre' pretty much denotes 'better'

It's not just the music industry - its the race to the bottom where everything revolves around buying something cheaper....whether its internet shopping or lowering manufacturing costs for increased profitability 😞

• Like 2

Thing is, and no offence to Spector basses (I’ve owned a couple)

They’re never going to be a high volume seller - I know they sell a lot of basses compared to say Shuker or even overwater...

I think they can expand product lines as much as they like, they can bring out 1000’s of new products...but the core audience won’t grow with that and it’ll be a crapshoot and then they’ll be sold off to someone else who has to rebuild.

i remember there being discussion of PRS’ UK distributor taking over WAL. That didn’t happen - and look at the increasing demand and prices for them. 

A big company like korg will want to expand Spector...

• 1 month later...

I've a Euro LX4 TW in flawless condition.  I was gonna sell it but I'm gonna hold onto it for a bit now.  Many years ago, I had a true Steinberger stick bass but sold it and then it was sold to Horner and became crap. It wasn't that long ago that I realized that my original Steinberger was worth pretty much more than I paid for it a long time ago.  Man, I was kicking myself SO hard for selling it.  I do think Korg makes decent stuff but, I dunno about guitars and maintaining quality of the Spectors.